New computer in my Future [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New computer in my Future

Blitzer
05-12-2007, 19:54
As some here my know I have been on the desktop side of PCs for some time with my last technical job ending with the HP/COMPAQ merger in 2002. I have built 90% of the computers I have owned over the last 20 years. That being said I am debating the purchase of a Factory configured and warrantied PC when my workman's comp settlement is finished within the next 30 days or less.

Any feedback on the bad boy in question:

HP Pavilion d4890y customizable Desktop PC

GC385AV#ABA

* $80 OFF Genuine Vista(TM) Ultimate upgrade(32-bit)
* Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q6600 (2.4GHz)
* 4GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (4x1024)
* 400GB RAID 1 (2 x 400GB SATA HDDs) - data security
* 300 GB 7200 rpm HP Personal Media Drive
* LightScribe 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
* 16x max. DVD-ROM
* Roxio Creator Premier 9
* 15-in-1 memory card reader, 3 USB, 1394, video
* 120 GB 5400rpm HP Pocket Media Drive with bay
* Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
* No Modem
* Dual ATSC-NTSC TV tuner, PVR, 1 FM tuner, remote
* 640MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS, 2 DVI, TV-Out
* Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/front audio ports
* HP Wireless Keyboard, Wireless Optical Mouse
* Microsoft(R) Works 8.0
* Norton Internet Security(TM) 2007 - 15 Months
* Roxio PhotoSuite 9 Deluxe
* HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

This ships free $3,857.97

HP 400VA UPS and Surge Protection
PS445AA#ABA This ships free $49.99

HP VGA Webcam EW193AA#ABA This ships free $39.99

Microsoft Fingerprint Reader RC388AA#ABA This ships free $44.99

2 - HP w2207 22-inch Widescreen Flat-Panel Monitor RK282AA#ABA This ships free $380.00 each

4-Year HP Total Care Extended Service Plan with House Call for HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario Desktop PCs
UG042A

srhoades
05-12-2007, 20:55
That seems pretty high. I personally would stay away from vista and paying for norton is like paying for a hole in the your head. Piece it out at newegg and I bet you will save at least $1000.

Deanster
05-12-2007, 21:09
Hi - you don't mention your intended usage (Gaming? given the video card?), but even then, I'd say that $3900 is an immense amount to be paying for any computer in the modern era - while that's a rocking machine, you can have 90% of the real world performance, even for gaming, at half the price.

If you're working on video, imaging, 3D rendering, or other super-intensive items in a production environment where every bit of speed counts, because you're getting paid for it, disregard the remainder of this post.

The quad processor, while very trick, can't be fully utilized by most programs, and the increase isn't as great as going from 1->2 cores was. It's fast, to be sure, but unless you've got key software that you know is truly able to utilize the multi-proc setup, you're paying a TON for speed it's very hard to use in most applications

Same story with the RAM - 4 gigs of ram means never having to install more, but 2 Gigs is way more than enough for 95% of users.

Same story on the video card - the 8800 GTS is super-trick, but the difference in performance to a slightly older and MUCH cheaper card isn't all that immense.

Long story short - you've built an impressive machine, loaded with top-notch, cutting edge components, and you're paying a top-notch, cutting edge price. Nothing wrong with that if you truly NEED the very best, or you've got the funds so that the difference between $2K and $4k is truly trivial.

IMHO, for the vast majority of people, who aren't made of money or doing professional video work, and given that everything that's cutting edge today will be mainstream in 3-6 months, it's rarely worth it to pay the premium. I tend to buy whatever was high-end a few months back, but is now a half-beat behind, and is recently discounted down from 'cutting edge' to 'high-end mainstream' pricing.

By going with the dual core, 2Gig ram, and the 8500GT card, you save nearly $2k, and probably actually have a faster day-to-day experience, since your primary cores are at 2.6GHz. Just a thought.

Scroll down to see your customized pc order below.

price $2,399.97 *
instant savings ? $150.00

price after rebate $2,249.97

Click "edit" to modify your customized pc order.

Operating System $80 OFF Genuine Vista(TM) Ultimate upgrade(32-bit) edit
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E6700 (2.66GHz) edit
Memory 2GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024) edit
Hard Drive 400GB RAID 1 (2 x 400GB SATA HDDs) - data security edit
HP Personal Media Drives 300 GB 7200 rpm HP Personal Media Drive edit
Primary CD/DVD Drive LightScribe 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive edit
Secondary CD/DVD Drive 16x max. DVD-ROM edit
Front Productivity Ports 15-in-1 memory card reader, 3 USB, 1394, audio edit
Removable Storage 120 GB 5400rpm HP Pocket Media Drive with bay edit
Networking No Modem edit
TV & Entertainment Experience No TV Tuner w/remote control edit
Graphics Card 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT, TV-out, DVI-I, HDMI edit
Sound Card Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/front audio ports edit
Keyboard and Mouse HP Wireless Keyboard, Wireless Optical Mouse edit
Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works 8.0 edit
Security Software Norton Internet Security(TM) 2007 - 15 Months

squidville_1975
05-13-2007, 08:41
Originally posted by Blitzer
As some here my know I have been on the desktop side of PCs for some time with my last technical job ending with the HP/COMPAQ merger in 2002. I have built 90% of the computers I have owned over the last 20 years. That being said I am debating the purchase of a Factory configured and warrantied PC when my workman's comp settlement is finished within the next 30 days or less.

Any feedback on the bad boy in question:

HP Pavilion d4890y customizable Desktop PC

GC385AV#ABA

* $80 OFF Genuine Vista(TM) Ultimate upgrade(32-bit)
* Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q6600 (2.4GHz)
* 4GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (4x1024)
* 400GB RAID 1 (2 x 400GB SATA HDDs) - data security
* 300 GB 7200 rpm HP Personal Media Drive
* LightScribe 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
* 16x max. DVD-ROM
* Roxio Creator Premier 9
* 15-in-1 memory card reader, 3 USB, 1394, video
* 120 GB 5400rpm HP Pocket Media Drive with bay
* Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
* No Modem
* Dual ATSC-NTSC TV tuner, PVR, 1 FM tuner, remote
* 640MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS, 2 DVI, TV-Out
* Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/front audio ports
* HP Wireless Keyboard, Wireless Optical Mouse
* Microsoft(R) Works 8.0
* Norton Internet Security(TM) 2007 - 15 Months
* Roxio PhotoSuite 9 Deluxe
* HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

This ships free $3,857.97

HP 400VA UPS and Surge Protection
PS445AA#ABA This ships free $49.99

HP VGA Webcam EW193AA#ABA This ships free $39.99

Microsoft Fingerprint Reader RC388AA#ABA This ships free $44.99

2 - HP w2207 22-inch Widescreen Flat-Panel Monitor RK282AA#ABA This ships free $380.00 each

4-Year HP Total Care Extended Service Plan with House Call for HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario Desktop PCs
UG042A WOW :thumbsup: Just make sure you have adequate cooling and power supply for this bad boy.

Altaris
05-13-2007, 09:43
Originally posted by srhoades
That seems pretty high..... Piece it out at newegg and I bet you will save at least $1000.

I agree. You obviously know how to build your own stuff, so I would say stick with that, and it would save you a Lot of money. Buying a top of the line gaming system from any of the companies (Dell, HP, Alienware, etc..) is always going to be overpriced compared to doing it yourself. Plus you get a clean drive that only has on it what you want on it.
Though if you are getting a decent amount back from your workman's comp settlement, then maybe you can splurge a little :)

oh btw....Very Nice Specs. I want something like that when I build my next system

c6601a
05-13-2007, 12:13
Originally posted by Altaris
I agree. You obviously know how to build your own stuff, so I would say stick with that, and it would save you a Lot of money. Buying a top of the line gaming system from any of the companies (Dell, HP, Alienware, etc..) is always going to be overpriced compared to doing it yourself.That was true years ago, it is not true today. For comparable quality parts, you can not touch the prices from Dell, HP and others. Do you really believe that a place like NewEgg, which buys in much smaller quantities than Dell, can get the same price as Dell can for exactly the same item? If NewEgg buys for more then Dell, how can they sell it to you for less? If Dell is making such huge markups, where is all the extra money Dell is making going? Certainly not to its shareholders like me.

Altaris
05-13-2007, 17:24
Originally posted by c6601a
That was true years ago, it is not true today. For comparable quality parts, you can not touch the prices from Dell, HP and others. Do you really believe that a place like NewEgg, which buys in much smaller quantities than Dell, can get the same price as Dell can for exactly the same item? If NewEgg buys for more then Dell, how can they sell it to you for less? If Dell is making such huge markups, where is all the extra money Dell is making going? Certainly not to its shareholders like me.

The mark up/cost increase is partly due to the fact that they are doing the labor by putting it together for you, and testing it to make sure it works, plus they have the warranties, which the parts themselves may or may not have.
....and we have to make some profit to pay us sales reps :)

I am a sales rep at Dell and am in the large company area. If I were to discount the system to it's true cost($0 margin), you are correct, the price probably wouldn't be that different. The thing is, you are not going to get an item discounted to cost if you are buying it online, or through one of the home or small business segments. And even in my area I would have to take that to finance to get it approved.

If you are getting systems for work I would never ever build one myself, I would always go through Dell, HP, or IBM, but if you are doing a top of the line gaming system, I still have yet to see a company compare to building it yourself(as long as you know what you are doing). Though I do agree, the degree of separation between buying one and building one has narrowed over the years, as the big companies take the gamers a lot more seriously now.

edit: these are just my opinions and in no way am I trying to argue or force anyone to think that way(if I happened to come across that way).

srhoades
05-13-2007, 20:59
That was true years ago, it is not true today. For comparable quality parts, you can not touch the prices from Dell, HP and others. Do you really believe that a place like NewEgg, which buys in much smaller quantities than Dell, can get the same price as Dell can for exactly the same item? If NewEgg buys for more then Dell, how can they sell it to you for less? If Dell is making such huge markups, where is all the extra money Dell is making going? Certainly not to its shareholders like me.

Dell/HP etc. rarely use consumer motherboards. They are often boards made spedifically for the manufacturer. And although the "wow thats cheap" price is cheap, once you start adding RAM, bigger hard drives etc its starts getting real expensive real fast, that is where they make their money, that and warranty plans. They bait you in with the price and stick it to you on the upgrades.

Blitzer
05-13-2007, 21:52
Adobe Photoshop, Auto Cad 3D, SolidWorks - 3D Mechanical Design and 3D CAD Software, Maya, graphics editing, animation, Media production, video editing, sound editing & mixing, DVD and CD production, Web videos, etc is the focus for "Bad Boy."

Perhaps the addition of a Newtek Video Toaster.

NO: games, MS Office, or even web browsing for the most part just the application of pure muscle where muscle is needed.

A more conventional second machine will be office oriented in it's function.

The warranty coverage is to keep me focused on training and production not tearing into the PC and tearing out what little hair I have left, which ain't much!

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8067/baldiemebf0.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8574/unsigneduser977unsignednf2.png

HP has a link to Voodoo computers, now there are some crazy graphics machines!. Unless the settlement is way more than I imagined they are way too rich for my wallet! :shocked:

David_G17
05-14-2007, 09:26
Do you really believe that a place like NewEgg, which buys in much smaller quantities than Dell, can get the same price as Dell can for exactly the same item?

In 2005, Newegg.com was named one of the Internet's Top 10 retailers by Internetretailer.com with 2004 sales revenue of over 1 billion USD. Newegg.com grew an additional 30% in 2005, bringing sales to approximately $1.3B annually
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newegg

you shouldn't underestimate a company that sells over a billion dollars in merchandise every year. newegg isn't some small-scale operation.

Deanster
05-14-2007, 14:12
If you're working on video, imaging, 3D rendering, or other super-intensive items in a production environment where every bit of speed counts, because you're getting paid for it, disregard the remainder of this post.

Adobe Photoshop, Auto Cad 3D, SolidWorks - 3D Mechanical Design and 3D CAD Software, Maya, graphics editing, animation, Media production, video editing, sound editing & mixing, DVD and CD production, Web videos, etc is the focus for "Bad Boy."

Perhaps the addition of a Newtek Video Toaster.

Then yep, you've got the right machine - though you might actually be a candidate for octo-core....

c6601a
05-14-2007, 23:47
Originally posted by David_G17
you shouldn't underestimate a company that sells over a billion dollars in merchandise every year. newegg isn't some small-scale operation. You shouldn't overestimate a company that sells a mere billion dollars a year when comparing it to a company like Dell that sells 56 billion dollars a year.

Even if buying power were not an issue (which it is), there is one other major factor. If new-egg wants to buy a hard drive, the manufacturer has to send it in a retail package. That package costs money. Shipping it costs money. Storing it costs space, which costs money. The package also need to have a cable or two, often mounting brackets, screws, usually a CD, an instruction sheet, a warranty card.... all of which costs money.

When Dell buys the same hard drive from the same manufacturer, it shows up in OEM package (a large box containing 50 or more drives and nothing else) that costs a lot less money in all the areas listed above. Who do you think is going to get a cheaper price if the manufacturer was willing to accept the same $$$ for each naked, unpackaged hard drive from both Dell and newegg?