need help: dual boot to include vista [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : need help: dual boot to include vista

WRMorrison
05-13-2007, 17:36
OK, here's the deal. I have a fairly new notebook, and it came with Vista already on it. I'm happy with Vista, except that it doesn't support most of my other software (solidworks 2006). I'd like to partition the HD, install XP Pro and use that OS for solidworks.

Vista has a disk partition utility, and I made a 10gb partition and formatted it for FAT32 (recommended for dual OS's). But, when I tried to install XP Pro, it says it can't install due to there already being a newer OS installed.

Am I doing something wrong here? I really don't want to have to shell out the dough for solidworks 2008 just because it's Vista compatible.

-WRM

IndyGunFreak
05-13-2007, 17:42
Originally posted by WRMorrison
OK, here's the deal. I have a fairly new notebook, and it came with Vista already on it. I'm happy with Vista, except that it doesn't support most of my other software (solidworks 2006). I'd like to partition the HD, install XP Pro and use that OS for solidworks.

Vista has a disk partition utility, and I made a 10gb partition and formatted it for FAT32 (recommended for dual OS's). But, when I tried to install XP Pro, it says it can't install due to there already being a newer OS installed.

Am I doing something wrong here? I really don't want to have to shell out the dough for solidworks 2008 just because it's Vista compatible.

-WRM

Hmm... I never tried to dual boot two versions of Windows. I know in some forums I frequent, there's been some Linux users having problems getting Linux bootloaders to work with Vista. Seems the easy fix for most of them, has been to boot the bootloader off a USB thumb drive or floppy, rather than the primary hard drive. I personally have come to the conclusion its a user problem, as opposed to a problem with Vista(and I'm certainly no fan of M$)

http://www.wikihow.com/Dual-Boot-Two-Versions-of-Windows

Seems you're on the right track, but if I read the above correctly, you need to completely format, install the old OS first, then the new one. Which if you're using the disk that came with an OEM PC, that could be all sorts of fun.. ;)

IGF

WRMorrison
05-13-2007, 17:47
I thought about loading XP first, and then Vista, but I'm sure that I'd be in way over my head there. I know just enough about this stuff to know that I don't know enough.

I also wish I could make sense of Linux, but never could. A few years back, I tried redhat, turbolinux, mandrake, etc., but could never get the hang of it. Heck, I even bought the complete idiot's guide...LOL...I guess I have to wait around for the retard edition to be published.

-WRM

IndyGunFreak
05-13-2007, 17:58
Originally posted by WRMorrison
I thought about loading XP first, and then Vista, but I'm sure that I'd be in way over my head there. I know just enough about this stuff to know that I don't know enough.

I also wish I could make sense of Linux, but never could. A few years back, I tried redhat, turbolinux, mandrake, etc., but could never get the hang of it. Heck, I even bought the complete idiot's guide...LOL...I guess I have to wait around for the retard edition to be published.

-WRM

Linux Retard Edition.. ;) We all need that...

http://www.ubuntu.com is about as easy as it gets. The Key to Linux, is remember, its NOT Windows, nor does it work like Windows... Few crashes, no blue screens, viruses, spyware.. :)

IGF

kimigirl
05-14-2007, 00:19
Generally when doing multi-boot the newer OS goes first. However XP does not play nice by doing that. For instance the HD I use has WXP, W2003 Server and Fedora Core 5 (Linux). XP had to be installed first, then 2003 Server, then Linux last. Fedora is able to make a boot menu that plays nice with the other 2. Other than using a 3rd party software like Partition Magic, I have never been able to get XP to play nice with others unless it is installed first. Some people claim to be able to do it. Try this link : Vista and XPhttp://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

IndyGunFreak
05-14-2007, 04:37
Just another suggestion, before you pay for Partition Magic....

Look at Gparted Live. It can format a partition in just about Windows, Linux, or Unix format that you desire. Its free. All you have to do is download the ISO, burn it to a disk, and restart.

Its got an easy to use GUI, and doesn't need an OS to run(if you're familiar with Linux, the GUI is based on fluxbox)..

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

IGF

WRMorrison
05-14-2007, 12:12
Thanks for all the help folks, it's much appreciated ;) . I downloaded GParted, and I'll print out those instructions. I think I'll try to format the HD and install XP first, and then Vista.

First off though, to install Vista (after XP) can I just use my most recent backup DVD, or do I have to use the DVD that came with my notebook?

If for some reason this all just fails miserably, I'll just install XP and stick with that. Vista has some nice "Wow! That's cool!" features, but doesn't provide anything special to me (maybe for an enlightened power user, but for me, I'm just not seeing any real advantages).

-WRM

David_G17
05-14-2007, 13:35
have you considered virtualization? you can run xp virtually inside of vista. it's worth a try.

microsoft's virtual pc is free http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en

eta: regardless of what method you choose, you'll probably want NTFS instead of any FAT-based file system.