energy booster for workouts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : energy booster for workouts

wallyglock
05-14-2007, 04:27
i am nearing 60 but still stay in shape with some light- to medium lifting and some bike riding when i can get the time.

what is being used for a pre-work out boost by the rest of everyone who still do more intense workouts ? !

have been given some " greens today" energy booster tablets and they were pretty decent i thought.

does gnc have something i should try ? or would something simple such as a small peanut butter sandwhich do just as good before i work out ?
again, how about gnc do they have anything similar or better than the greens today tabs that work ??
am looking for the simplicity of the chewable tabs if possible.

sometimes i feel a little bushed from the very physical job that i have and feel a need for the pick up before excercising !!

thanks wally

DBradD
05-14-2007, 08:13
I am not an expert, but I read this in The Paleo Diet for Athletes by Cordain and Friel. I've used it some and it seems to work fine. I don't know squat about supplements.

This is my brief summary.

Consume 200 cal. per hour prior to exercise. Example: if meal is 2 hours before exercise, eat 400 calories.

Mostly low GI carbs, but not ultra-low due to lots of fiber which could hang around in your gut absording water. Good choices are bananas, peaches, cantaloupe, apple sauce (no sugar added).

Include protein rich in BCAA. Examples are eggs, whey protein powder, and meat.

10 min. before start, eat 100-200 calories from a high-GI source such as a sports drink, followed by 6-8 ounces of water. I don't usually bother with this step.

Edit: One more thing, although I didn't get this from the book. How 'bout caffeine?! I think a good shot of caffeine helps my workouts. I've read a few things about this, but can't remember the details.

Going along with your simplicity theme, you could try 400 calories worth of fruit and a protein shake, 2 hours before working out. That's about as easy as it can get.

wallyglock
05-14-2007, 11:51
some of it i cant do tho.

have to watch the caffeine on orders from my uroligist...have had several kidney stones.

same with the fruit and sugaar...i control my border line diabetics by my own food intake.

the whey protein may be the best idea.

any best place to buy it and is there only one kind?
whatis the price i should expect to pay?

DBradD
05-14-2007, 12:56
Can you eat fruit at all or is it just a problem if you eat a large quantity?

Also, forget the high-GI drink right before the workout. Like I typed, I don't usually bother with that.

Forget the caffeine if it's a problem.

I don't know about other prices, but I buy the plain ole whey protein powder at the local gym. It's $30 for a can that's about the size of a basketball.

mossy500camo
05-15-2007, 20:35
I eat a few fig newtons or drink a glass of green tea or black coffee. Good Luck!

Join us over at thehttp://bodybuilding.com forums. Over 40 forum.

CaliTheKid
05-19-2007, 11:32
If you want crazy energy (but all sorts of possible side effects lol) try NO-Xplode. My work outs were insane while on it.