Go, Granny, Go! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Go, Granny, Go!

Glockrunner
05-14-2007, 07:12
(Tuckahoe grandmother fends off would-be robber with bat.)

Tuckahoe - A warning to anyone thinking about robbing J. Villarina's Market Sandwich Shoppe: Don't mess with Vera in the morning.

The 68-year-old grandmother of eight used a miniature baseball bat to clobber a would-be robber inside the shop on Columbus Avenue, where she works near the Metro-North train station about 5 a.m. April 26.

"I was more annoyed than anything else," said Vera, whose last name is being withheld to protect her identity. "All I could think was, 'I've been working since I'm 14 years old. Get a friggin' job, you bum.' "

Detective Lt. Kevin Ferry of the Tuckahoe police said the robber entered the business shortly after Vera arrived to open it, told her he had a gun and demanded money but never showed a weapon.

"I wasn't thinking did he have a gun or didn't he? I was just so angry because I had work to do," Vera said. "I took some money and I threw it on the floor because I knew he'd bend down to pick it up, and that's when I let him have it."

The Bronx native and lifelong Yankees fan picked up a commemorative bat she got years ago on bat day at Yankee Stadium and hit the man in the back of the head twice. He dropped the money and ran out of the store.

"I ran after him, but he was too fast for me," she said.

Ferry said police arrived moments later and searched for the robber without success. He is described as white, in his 30s or 40s with dark, unshaven facial hair, and wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and gray sweat pants.

"It was just one of those little bats, only about 16 inches long, but she did enough damage that the guy took off," Ferry said. "She sure is one feisty woman."

Vera said she was embarrassed by all the attention she received throughout the day as word spread throughout the small village and well-wishers stopped by with flowers and congratulations.

"I'm nuts. I just reacted without even thinking," she said. "Wait until my grandchildren find out about this. I'm never going to hear the end of it."

vafish
05-14-2007, 19:57
Where is Tuckaho?

I've got several old little league aluminum bats in the garage. I'm going to send her one.

vafish
05-14-2007, 19:58
Never mind,

The Yankees beat me to it:

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070507/NEWS02/705070377

The Yankees honored a robber-bashing Bronxville grandmother of eight yesterday in a home plate ceremony before their victory over the Seattle Mariners.

Vera Curioli, 68, foiled an April 26 robbery at J. Villarina's Market Sandwich Shoppe in Tuckahoe where she worked by smacking the robber with a 1961 Yankees miniature bat.

With her 16-inch weapon in hand, she waved to the stadium crowd when she was introduced yesterday, then got a surprise when Derek Jeter came out of the dugout and presented her with a real bat signed by the team and gave her a hug.

During the attempted robbery last month, the man told Curioli he had a gun, and demanded she empty the cash register. The lifelong Yankees fan said she threw the money on the floor, then as he was bending over to pick it up, grabbed her commemorative bat and hit him in the back of the head twice. He dropped the money and ran out of the store.

Police arrived moments later and searched the area without success.

But I did find the sandwich shops address,

Villarina's Market & Sandwich Shoppe
291 Columbus Ave
Tuckahoe, New York 10707

Glockrunner
05-15-2007, 07:42
Thanks for the update.