Shooting near suburban houses [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shooting near suburban houses

adhocglock
05-14-2007, 09:20
I live in a suburban area of multi-acre lots in Orange County. There is a depression with reasonably high dirt walls for a backstop in my yard that would be great for plinking with my .22. The nearest house is a few hundred feet away. I found FL statutes that restrict shooting over roads, houses, rights of way, etc., but nothing about private property. Can anybody point me to any statutes or ordinances that govern shooting near other houses on private property?

Thanks,

orangedawg19
05-14-2007, 09:28
Im just gonna say, I dont know the exacts on the law, but they are made vague for a reason. For any LEO on the scene to use their judgement, usually not in your favor if you are the perpetrator called on, and then left for the courts to figure out.

Please use discretion.

Gmountain
05-14-2007, 10:40
You'll need to check you town and county ordinances.

pcmike
05-14-2007, 12:58
To give you an example here is the Palm Beach County ordinance:

Sec. 28-22. Discharge of firearms.
(a) Prohibited activity: No person shall discharge a firearm east of the boundary described in Exhibit "A" attached hereto and made part of hereof. Further, no person shall discharge a firearm west of said boundary within three hundred (300) yards of any structure.
(b) Exceptions: The prohibitions set forth in subsection (a) above shall not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of firearms. Further, this article shall not apply to the discharge of firearms within the confines of approved and licensed shooting ranges as provided for in article 6 of the Palm Beach County Unified Land Development Code, law enforcement agency ranges, existing commercial and private shooting ranges and gun clubs, and official hunting areas. The prohibition is also not applicable to the discharge of shotguns utilizing shotshells on land which is zoned agricultural and which has a minimum parcel size of five (5) acres so long as no discharge of firearms is conducted within three hundred (300) yards of any structure situated on another's property. Further, the discharge of blank or nonlethal shells or cartridges is not prohibited by this article.
(Ord. No. 99-5, 2, 2-23-99)

adhocglock
05-14-2007, 14:43
pcmike, that is exactly what I hoped to find in the Orange County Codes and Ordinances... Unfortunately, all I could find was reference to gunshots as impulse sounds in the context of noise and sound levels.

I doubt that I can legally plink on my property; and I'd ask my neighbor first regardless. I'd just like to see it in writing one way or the other...

tsbailey
05-16-2007, 22:16
I have found in my experience that it may depend on your zoning and your acreage.

If your prop is zoned Ag, open use, or something like that then it may be kosher. If it is RSF, PDR, PUD. or whatever Orange County calls it it may not be.

I would contact the Sheriff's office to inquire about the legality of this. If they say it is cool get a letter from the Head Honchos office saying it is OK.

Bucky69
05-20-2007, 21:06
pcmike, that is exactly what I hoped to find in the Orange County Codes and Ordinances

Good luck finding any Orange County Codes, the county makes it near impossible to find them.

Mr. Blandings
05-20-2007, 22:10
municode.com , an online database of municipal codes/ordinaces, inlcudes Orange County, Florida.

www.municode.com - check the online library

noway
05-20-2007, 22:12
Talk to your BOCC and he/she can help in getting point in the right direction.

adhocglock
05-21-2007, 19:15
Originally posted by noway
Talk to your BOCC and he/she can help in getting point in the right direction. What's a BOCC?

Mr. Blandings
05-21-2007, 20:47
I believe noway would be referring to your Board Of County Commissioners.