Minot survivors [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Minot survivors

biglarry
05-15-2007, 01:05
I was stationed in Minot from 1997-2001. I didn't volunteer, and was sure glad to leave, but all in all, it wasn't that bad. Anybody else out there want to compare notes on the frozen tundra?

Jeff51
05-15-2007, 20:54
I was there from 1968-1971 and thats where I met my wife (married 36 yrs),had both sons born there. I enjoyed the tour very much. When I got back from my overseas tour I asked for Minot (didnt get it) I got shipped to Grand Forks. I still have one son that lives there.:supergrin:

biglarry
05-15-2007, 21:22
WOW, that was a while ago. I knew a lot of guys that got up there and loved the crap out of it and didn't want to leave. I just tried to make the best of it, and had a pretty good time all in all. Gotta a lot of good war stories out of the deal.

George.Mack
05-15-2007, 21:29
Was there from '75 - '81.

DJ Niner
05-16-2007, 02:09
'84-'91.

Why not Minot?
Freezin's the reason! :supergrin:

If you were to check the cement around the rifle range entry gate posts and the fire hydrant protection posts in the range parking lot, you'd find initials similar to my avatar. ;)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

dakrat
06-10-2007, 13:02
another warbird here since jun 03. met my wife and my 2 y/o were born here. no wonder they call it the magic city.

gwalchmai
06-10-2007, 17:30
Originally posted by DJ Niner
If you were to check the cement around the rifle range entry gate posts and the fire hydrant protection posts in the range parking lot, you'd find initials similar to my avatar. ;) That's great. I had mine in Minuteman sump pits. ;)

DJ Niner
06-10-2007, 23:47
Originally posted by gwalchmai
That's great. I had mine in Minuteman sump pits. ;) Not a very high-traffic area, is it?

But it's the thought that counts! :) :supergrin:

Zero_G
06-12-2007, 08:55
I was only there for a year (2003-2004), but I'd go back in a heartbeat - Get me out of this Houston heat!

FastZ
06-12-2007, 16:03
Minot AFB cant be as bad as Goodfellow AFB here in San Angelo. This place sucks, and I've had to put up with it for about four years now.

engineer151515
06-12-2007, 16:06
Was born there. I guess my Air Force parents were conserving body heat.

:supergrin:

DJ Niner
06-12-2007, 23:17
Originally posted by Zero_G
I was only there for a year (2003-2004), but I'd go back in a heartbeat - Get me out of this Houston heat! That's similar to what I was saying when I left Mississippi (Keesler) and went to Minot. Heck, we bought a new car without air conditioning right before we left, because we didn't think we'd be needing air up in the north country! We arrived in mid-summer, and the first two weeks we were there, the highs were upper 90s/low 100s. Hot AND humid, too (but not as bad as most coastal regions, though). I was like, "Dang, how far north does a guy have to GO to get away from this crap?"

Zero_G
06-13-2007, 13:46
I think they completely lied to me about Minot.

Myth 1. It's freezing!
We arrive in June and had several days in a row over 100 with most of the month having highs over 90. Of course, no A/C in base housing!

Myth 2. It's flat.
While the surrounding area is very flat, the city of Minot is along the river and is fairly hilly.

Myth 3. No trees
That was probably true years ago, but people have been planting trees for windbreaks for quite a while now.

At my position I'll probably never get the chance to go back unless I volunteer to be group commander (a job I don't want).

gwalchmai
06-13-2007, 13:48
Wasn't there a ski area around there known as "Turtle Bump"?

DJ Niner
06-13-2007, 23:31
Originally posted by Zero_G
I think they completely lied to me about Minot.

Myth 2. It's flat.
While the surrounding area is very flat, the city of Minot is along the river and is fairly hilly.

... The city is down in the river valley. Don't confuse "hills" with "a hole." :supergrin:

Early in my assignment, I lived in an apartment halfway up Eighth Street (North?), in town, on the side of the hill/hole. Whenever it got icy, that street turned into a skating rink with about a 6% grade. You could watch the cars and trucks slide down, ricocheting off the curb and the other vehicles, all the way to the bottom.

Joey
06-14-2007, 13:08
Mar 92-July 98 :mallninja: :mallninja: :mallninja: :mallninja:

gwalchmai
06-14-2007, 13:40
Originally posted by gwalchmai
Wasn't there a ski area around there known as "Turtle Bump"? Come to think of it, that may have been Grand Forks. For the whole six months I was at tech school they told us it was a foregone conclusion that our whole class was going to go to Grand Forks, or maybe Minot. Then a week before GMF we all got orders to Malmstrom. :hugs:

Critch
06-22-2007, 07:55
I got sent there for a TDY in the early 70's to pick up some slack on the MMIII program, as best I remember Minot AFB had dropped the ball on an ORI and we had to backfill while they got retrained and all that stuff. We were there in a fairly warm time, probably early fall, rather desolate compared to Wyoming, but it wasn't real bad. Got to shoot some prarie dogs and grouse, so it wasn't wasted...

RussP
07-01-2007, 21:53
Was TDY there to photograph the missles for the SALT talks.

One guy drank too much coffe...had to take a leak... Couldn't wait to get to a proper facility so... Damn stuff froze before it hit the ground...

:cool:

DJ Niner
07-01-2007, 23:26
The applicable rule in this instance is:

Don't break off the frozen stream too short. :supergrin:

RussP
07-04-2007, 20:14
The applicable rule in this instance is:

Don't break off the frozen stream too short. :supergrin: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DJ Niner
07-04-2007, 22:40
Here's a tale and photo you former residents of The 'Not will probably enjoy.

Backstory: I think it was in the late 1980s that ND's state government started a campaign to help promote sales of North Dakota-produced products and services. They called it "Buy North Dakota." As part of this campaign, they posted billboards with the slogan in various locations. Just north of the city of Minot (on the way to Minot AFB), they put up one of these signs on a relatively low and easily accessible billboard. The combination of location and bored airmen made the outcome quite predictable:

podwich
07-04-2007, 23:41
While I wasn't the one in the USAF, my dad was. He was stationed in Minot from '87-'94 so I did some of my growing up there. We lived in the northwest part of the city on Valley View Drive.

DJ Niner
07-05-2007, 00:04
We were probably "within 1-mile" neighbors for about a year or two; we finally got a house on-base in '89, IIRC. Before that, we were in an apartment complex on 8th Street, halfway up the hill behind the college.

mrmack110
07-31-2007, 15:16
Been here since 05'
Probably going to do the whole first term here.
It has been in the upper 90s lower hundreds for the past week and a half I kid-you-not, but those posting here know that up here you get the "Extremes" of mother nature... it's either real hot or freezing.
This winter was the coldest since I've been here when it was -45 @ 2130 @ night!
Me anad my wife are from Ohio so we could deal with the snow but man... makes you really re-think getting a remote starter on your car if you don't have one. It's almost MANDATORY, (that and XM radio up here).
I'll tell good ol' Minot you guys said "Hello", though I'm sure you don't miss her one bit...

DJ Niner
07-31-2007, 23:24
I hear ya on the radio thing. Not only poor choices in general, but when we used to drive from Minot to Fargo and back to visit relatives, there was a radio "dead spot" around Carrington that lasted for 30-40 miles or so. If you hit the "Scan" button on your radio, it just went 'round and 'round and 'round. :shocked:

Lucky I had one of them new-fangled cassette players... :supergrin:

WIMPY
08-01-2007, 02:49
I was there in the early 60's. Worked on the H's 20 mm tail gun & it got very cold way up off the ground. Back then the base would get 100 slots to tdy to Nam and get 500 people requesting to go. I lived in an apartment that was on the base side of town out near a bowling alley, I sure thing have changed since then. There also was a bar just off base toward town that use to get a lot of my money.

dakrat
08-18-2007, 09:51
I hear ya on the radio thing. Not only poor choices in general, but when we used to drive from Minot to Fargo and back to visit relatives, there was a radio "dead spot" around Carrington that lasted for 30-40 miles or so. If you hit the "Scan" button on your radio, it just went 'round and 'round and 'round. :shocked:

Lucky I had one of them new-fangled cassette players... :supergrin:

dead spot on cellphones too! err... i dont think cellphone service providers know minot exists. minot glockers, we should have a meet at the range! anyone interested?

weatherman
08-23-2007, 21:27
We were stationed there from 83 to 88. My wife is from Brandon Manitoba so we were able to go visit family often.

Yea, it was cold, but we all enjoyed our stay there.