View Full Version : Bill to eliminate pistol free zones

centennial
05-16-2007, 12:41
This has been posted on several sights. I thought I'd drop it here:

Bill to remove Pistol Free zones introduced
May 15, 2007
Brad Benzing
SAFR

As promised to SAFR a few weeks ago, HB 4759 has been introduced by Rep. Daniel Acciavatti. Co-Sponsors are: Reps. Hoogendyk, Horn, Stahl, Opsommer, Meltzer and Meekhof

The Bill has been referred to the Committee on Judiciary which is Chaired by a veteran anti gunner. Further, this Bill has a Minority party sponsor. Both of these facts will make this Bill a slow starter

Your help is needed to get this moving. Call your Representative and ask them to support this HB 4759. If your Rep is a Dem, please ask them to sign on as a co-sponsor. We need bi-partisan support to move this. It is very important to make these calls or e-mails. You can find the contact info for your Representative here.. All you need is your home address if you don't know who your Rep is. Please be courteous and polite.

The house Judiciary members are:

Committee Members:
Paul Condino (D), Committee Chair, 35th District
Andy Coulouris (D), Majority Vice-Chair, 95th District
Steve Bieda (D), 25th District
Marc R. Corriveau (D), 20th District
Mark S. Meadows (D), 69th District
Andy Meisner (D), 27th District
Bettie Cook Scott (D), 3rd District
Virgil Smith (D), 7th District
Rebekah Warren (D), 53rd District
Tonya Schuitmaker (R), Minority Vice-Chair, 80th District
David Law (R), 39th District
Kevin Elsenheimer (R), 105th District
John Stakoe (R), 44th District
Rick Jones (R), 71st District
Tory Rocca (R), 30th District

Schuitmaker, Elsenheimer, Stakoe, Jones and Rocca are all solidly Pro Gun. Unfortunately, some of the most vocal anti gunners in the House are on this Committee.

We need everyone's help to get this Bill moving. Your calls of support are appreciated. When you call, please identify yourself as a member of both SAFR and MGO.

This is a link to the text of the bill:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2007-2008/billintroduced/House/htm/2007-HIB-4759.htm

It's pretty straightforward. NO restrictions.
Contact your Reps and urge them to get behind this and talk to every CPL holder you can.

If you don't know who your Reps are, use this link:
http://house.michigan.gov/find_a_rep.asp

Punctilious1
05-16-2007, 22:02
Just sent the following e-mail to my rep. - district 1:

Dear Rep. Gaffney:

Greetings from a fellow Grosse Pointe Farms resident. I am writing regarding HB 4759, which was introduced by Rep. Daniel Acciavatti on May 15, 2007. The bill would allow individuals licensed to carry concealed handguns to carry anywhere in the State, without restriction, by eliminating so-called "pistol free zones" under current law.

It is evident based upon recent events that these "pistol free zones" (which includes universities, daycare centers, hospitals, etc.) are more and more commonly becoming stages for violence. This is the case because criminals fully understand that victims in these locations will likely be defenseless. By decreasing this likelihood, HB 4759 will give criminals targeting these areas pause.

I am asking that you support HB 4759 when the time comes.

cyberhick
05-17-2007, 11:08
This is awesome. Punctilious1, please forgive me, I copied your letter and just changed the Rep's name, it looked a lot better than anyting I could write, especially when refering to someone with political views other than my own (Dudley Spade).

Punctilious1
05-17-2007, 11:12
Originally posted by cyberhick
This is awesome. Punctilious1, please forgive me, I copied your letter and just changed the Rep's name, it looked a lot better than anyting I could write, especially when refering to someone with political views other than my own (Dudley Spade).

Glad I could help! I hope this passes.

mufasa1023
05-17-2007, 12:47
Punctilious1, same here...a well written short and to the point note, thanks.

XDHSr
05-17-2007, 13:48
Punctilious1, I used your letter as a guide too. My representative happens to be on the Judiciary committee, so I changed some of the wording around, but the message was still essentially the same.
Hope it helps.

cap'n josh
05-17-2007, 14:34
I fired off a quick email of support to Rep. Gillard, got a pretty standard reply of "thank you for contacting me I will consider your comments when the time comes blah blah blah", ah well what can you expect.

JohnJak
05-18-2007, 05:05
Originally posted by cap'n josh
I fired off a quick email of support to Rep. Gillard, got a pretty standard reply of "thank you for contacting me I will consider your comments when the time comes blah blah blah", ah well what can you expect.

This is why everyone should send 100 copies of a generic letter to them. Their mail boxes would get filled and they would stop and really think about it.;)

Barbara
05-20-2007, 20:44
Dudley Spade should be ok, even though he's a Dem.

If you live in a Democratic district, even if your person is just slightly pro-gun, please get with them..that's the only way this bill will see the light of day.

FJC
05-22-2007, 07:22
I've called and emailed everyone I could...my Rep is Phil LaJoy (R), he seems to already be in our camp, though he's not on that committee.

cyberhick
05-24-2007, 04:07
I got a reply:

Dear Jeremy,

Thank you for taking the time to write and express your position on HB 4759. This bill was referred to the Committee on Judiciary, Rep. Paul Canteen Chair.

I do not believe that the bill has received a hearing and I know that it has not come out of committee.

I will watch for it.

Thanks again for contacting me and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Sincerely,

Dudley Spade
State Representative
57th District
Phone: (517) 373-1706
Fax: (517) 373-5777
dspade@house.mi.gov
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514

Redglocker
06-02-2007, 07:37
Another Big Thanks to Punctilious 1. I also copied your letter and sent it off to my Rep. Brian Palmer. It was written much better than I could have done.

Xenia
06-07-2007, 03:33
I used the idea of what to write in this thread too but edited it just a bit (so it is not so fully generic).

Both the reps in my area are Democrats. I hope they are not anti-gun. I honestly am embarrased to say I don't know either way.

Barbara
06-07-2007, 17:25
www.safrpac.org might have some info for you.

Xenia
06-08-2007, 10:50
Thanks Barbara.

My rep wrote back and said he supports this bill! :thumbsup:

Tim13
06-10-2007, 22:29
I too sent an email to my rep, and got this response back:

"Thank you for contacting me in regards HB 4759; that would repeal the “gun-free zone” provision of the concealed pistol permit law. Hearing from you helps me better represent our community in the Legislature.

As a CCW holder myself, I understand and support this legislation. Currently, it has been referred to House Judiciary Committee. I look forward to voting in favor of HB 4759 should the Democrat majority allow it to be voted upon.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and ideas. If I can be of further assistance in this or any matter, feel free to contact my office.

Sincerely,

Glenn Steil Jr.

State Representative

72nd District"

Korey5640
06-22-2007, 21:02
Here is my e-mail response:

Dear Korey -------------,

Thank you for contacting Representabive Andy Meisner regarding House Bill 4759. If you could provide us with your home address so we are able to best meet your needs in this correspondence, it would be much appreciated. Rep. Meisner will then respond as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Phil ------
Legislative Aide

-------------------------

What do you think, send the address or ignore that request?

Punctilious1
06-22-2007, 22:01
Originally posted by Korey5640
Here is my e-mail response:

Dear Korey -------------,

Thank you for contacting Representabive Andy Meisner regarding House Bill 4759. If you could provide us with your home address so we are able to best meet your needs in this correspondence, it would be much appreciated. Rep. Meisner will then respond as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Phil ------
Legislative Aide

-------------------------

What do you think, send the address or ignore that request?

I would give it to them. It probably means they'll take a few minutes to write back, saturating their minds in the concept a bit longer than if you didn't. They'd be able to find your address anyway if they wanted to.

ToBePD
06-22-2007, 22:20
This is what I sent to my representatives. Feel free to copy and paste, remember to change the representatives name to yours.

Dear Rep. Meekhof,

I would like to take a minute of your time to discuss House Bill 4759 introduced by Rep. Daniel J. Acciavatti. Currently I don't know your stand on Concealed Carry, to be honest I haven't been all that into politics, but this bill brings something to the table that I am willing to make my vote count.

The men and women who obtain a CPL are law abiding. Yes, theirs always the few who ruin it for the many but regardless if someone has a concealed carry permit or not, if they decide to cause harm to others they would do it anyway, permit or not. As Rep.Acciavatti said "Concealed weapon license holders are some of the most law abiding citizens in our state. Over the past five years 203,051 concealed weapon permits have been issued in Michigan and only 671 licenses have been revoked. That equals less than one percent (actually .34%) of all issued licenses that have been revoked."

Without this bill criminals will have free reign to do as they like in pistol free zones. They know at certain establishments concealed permit holders are forced to disarm and leave their handguns in their vehicle. That alone is enough reason to pass this bill, so concealed permit holders don't have to leave their handgun in a car. Leaving a handgun in a car doesn't sound like gun control to me, allowing concealed pistol holders to stay armed protects the community by not allowing guns from getting stolen and sold on thestreet and it protects the the concealed pistol holder and their family if a situation arises that deadly force is necessary.

Thank you for your time Rep. Meekhof and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Weezer
06-24-2007, 18:37
Originally posted by Punctilious1
Just sent the following e-mail to my rep. - district 1:

Dear Rep. Gaffney:

Greetings from a fellow Grosse Pointe Farms resident. I am writing regarding HB 4759, which was introduced by Rep. Daniel Acciavatti on May 15, 2007. The bill would allow individuals licensed to carry concealed handguns to carry anywhere in the State, without restriction, by eliminating so-called "pistol free zones" under current law.

It is evident based upon recent events that these "pistol free zones" (which includes universities, daycare centers, hospitals, etc.) are more and more commonly becoming stages for violence. This is the case because criminals fully understand that victims in these locations will likely be defenseless. By decreasing this likelihood, HB 4759 will give criminals targeting these areas pause.

I am asking that you support HB 4759 when the time comes.

Hello,

I live in Grosse Pointe also.

Great letter!

Punctilious1
06-24-2007, 19:40
Originally posted by Weezer
Hello,

I live in Grosse Pointe also.

Great letter!

Hey neighbor! Thanks :thumbsup:

elsielover
06-25-2007, 08:33
Even though I'm an enthusiastic cpl holder who values our rights and freedoms, I think bars should remain pistol free.

zbusdriver
06-25-2007, 08:39
Originally posted by elsielover
Even though I'm an enthusiastic cpl holder who values our rights and freedoms, I think bars should remain pistol free.

why?

Punctilious1
06-25-2007, 08:47

Even if the person carrying hasn't had a drop to drink? For me, the primary concern with carry in bars is addressed by the blood alcohol restriction.

elsielover
06-25-2007, 09:08
All bars aren't the same. The one closest to me is quiet with good folks of all ages; I wouldn't have any problem with that place. But there are taverns known for fighting and just being rougher in general. In fact, some people love those places. I drove out to Montana one summer to trout fish. I stayed overnight in Gillette, WY on the way. The motel proprietor suggested a couple of places to get a burger and a beer but advised me to stay away from this particular place that was known as a fighting bar. We all know that too much alcohol loosens inhibitions. And even though the guy carrying may not be drinking, just being in an environment with a mix of alcohol, testosterone, and maybe some people with just some bad dispositions is not too wise. It's not too hard for me to imagine a scenario in which the innocent carrier is removed of his weapon. Anyway, it's just my opinion. We're basically in agreement on everything else.

elsielover
06-25-2007, 09:12
Originally posted by Punctilious1
Even if the person carrying hasn't had a drop to drink? For me, the primary concern with carry in bars is addressed by the blood alcohol restriction.

I know what you mean. However, there's no restriction on the blood alcohol of others and it's the others that I worry about.

Punctilious1
06-25-2007, 09:17
All bars aren't the same. The one closest to me is quiet with good folks of all ages; I wouldn't have any problem with that place. But there are taverns known for fighting and just being rougher in general. In fact, some people love those places. I drove out to Montana one summer to trout fish. I stayed overnight in Gillette, WY on the way. The motel proprietor suggested a couple of places to get a burger and a beer but advised me to stay away from this particular place that was known as a fighting bar. We all know that too much alcohol loosens inhibitions. And even though the guy carrying may not be drinking, just being in an environment with a mix of alcohol, testosterone, and maybe some people with just some bad dispositions is not too wise. It's not too hard for me to imagine a scenario in which the innocent carrier is removed of his weapon. Anyway, it's just my opinion. Were basically in agreement on everything else.

Yeah, I know those kinds of places are out there. Personally I'm with you in that I wouldn't go there - regardless if I were carrying. Imagine if someone unknowingly walked into something like that for a burger with one's family though.

In the end, I suppose I'd rather leave the decision in the hands of our responsible CCWs rather than with our friends in Lansing.

USAret
06-25-2007, 10:00
I hope this bill passes also, it might wake up some other states.

As to the comments about bars. I think all these laws are BS. I know a little bit about the subject since I grew up in a bar (My mother got a job there at 19, owned the place 10 years later. I even worked for her for a while tending bar.). Forbidding guns in a bar is as ridiculous as banning car keys or forbidding bars from having parking lots to prevent drunk driving. I personally don’t go in those places unless I am home in Montana visiting my mother. That is just a personal choice since I don’t drink I don’t have any reason to go into a “bar” (saw enough growing up to know that alcohol ruins lives). But some people do and not every customer is there to get bombed out of their minds. I think the same or perhaps a higher standard as to blood-alcohol level should be the law. That way if a group goes out with a “designated driver” they could also have a “designated body-guard” in the same person.

No carry where alcohol is served is a really bad idea, especially since restaurants usually serve the stuff. (In TX most restaurants are ok but some states outright ban carry anywhere near the stuff.)

No carry while drunk. Now there is a law that makes sense.

NO GUN FREE ZONES! = NO FREE-FIRE ZONES FOR PSYCHOS

zbusdriver
06-25-2007, 10:03
...Anyway, it's just my opinion. Were basically in agreement on everything else. I respect your opinion, however, the reasons you mention are the same reasons that i would like to retain my "right to bear arms" in that type of environment. i, however, normally avoid bars and alcohol.

Korey5640
08-03-2007, 10:49
Finally received a letter in the mail from Rep. Meisner yesterday. I will type it as written:

Dear Korey,

Thanks(yes, the S was there) you for contacting me regarding your support for House Bill 4759. I apologize for the delay in my response.

Recent tragedies at universities raise a number of issues, especially the safety and well-being of students and teachers. However, I would suggest that greater investment in detection and treating mental health disorders will be most effective in preventing these types of events.

HB 4759 is currently in the House Judiciary Committee and is awaiting action. As this legislation comes before me, I will continue to keep your thoughts in mind.

Once again, thank you for contacting me. Please feel free to contact me on any issue of future concern by calling 1-877-REP-ANDY.

Sincerely,
(Insert actual signature, not printed on...surprised me)
Andy Meisner
State Representative
27th House District of Michigan

------------

I love the misspelling and the phone number that he has :animlol:

Getwild2
08-04-2007, 09:53
I emailed mine, hope this thing passes. :thumbsup:

TFin04
08-04-2007, 12:02
Emailed as well.

Getwild2
08-06-2007, 09:07
My response:

Dear Cory:

Thank you for contacting me in regard to House Bill 4759. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me.

Please know that I wholeheartedly support this bill and will support it through the legislative process.

Thank you again for contacting me. If there is anything that I can do for you or assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact me at my office or at my home. At anytime. For any reason.

Sincerely,

Representative David B. Robertson
51st District
Michigan House of Representatives
Office: 517-373-1780
Fax: 517-373-5810
Email: District51@house.mi.gov
Webpage: www.RepRobertson.com

TFin04
08-06-2007, 09:59
Guys please keep in mind that short messages are most effective. Some of the ones I read here include a lot of info and are well written, but at pretty wordy.

I try to keep all my emails sent to reps short and sweet. They will have no way to make a mistake on my position and I use quite a few line breaks to make it easy to read.

Keep up the good work!

TFin04
08-07-2007, 15:05
Received this from Rep Hune:

Dear Tom:

Thank you for contacting Rep. Hune regarding the pistol free zone legislation. He has been a supporter of this bill and agrees with many of your concerns by limiting areas where registered guns are allowed.

If our office can be of assistance to you in the future, feel free to contact us via e-mail or toll free at (866) 828-4863.

Cindy Denby
Leg. Aide
Office of Rep Joe Hune

And a request for my home mailing address from Rep Ward. I'll post back with his reply.

It's good to see Rep Hune is on board.

steveksux
08-13-2007, 09:26
Even though I'm an enthusiastic cpl holder who values our rights and freedoms, I think bars should remain pistol free. You don't happen to own a bar, do you? :supergrin: That's the only reason I can see someone would want to ban CCW in bars rather than just banning drinking while CCW. To make sure if they decide to come in, they can buy drinks...

Is there a bar lobby in Lansing?

Randy

I'm Such a Bird
08-21-2007, 22:42
Here's my letter to my rep on this issue. I know that it is a little long, but I e-mailed it as an attachment after stating in the header my main point. I figured that they could either just mark my opinion down on their tally-figure board or whatever they have to keep track, or they could read it in more detail.

I haven't gotten a response back yet.

Here is the main body of my letter:

"Recently, I obtained a CCW permit as a means of self-defense in the case of any potential life-threatening situation that might require force in order to repel it. I am happy to say that I have never been faced with any situation such as this in my lifetime. I am a peaceful person by nature, and do not even carry my weapon all of the time, but I do believe that all citizens who are of sound mind and who have clean criminal records should have the right to carry concealed weapons to defend themselves as well as others, should the need arise.

As you may be aware, there are certain “pistol free zones” that restrict responsible citizens such as myself from carrying concealed weapons freely into areas where violent crime is still very possible. House Bill 4759, which was introduced by Daniel Acciavatti on May 15 of this year, seeks to repeal the following provision of the concealed pistol permit law--and rightly so, I believe:

House Bill 4759 (Repeal CPL “gun-free zone” provision ):
Introduced by Rep. Daniel Acciavatti on May 15, 2007, to repeal the “gun-free zone” provision of the concealed pistol permit law, which prohibits those who have received a permit after meeting the background check and training requirements, from carrying a pistol in schools, day care facilities, sports stadiums or arenas, bars, bar/restaurants, places of worship, college dorms and classrooms, hospitals, casinos, entertainment facilities that hold more than 2,500, and courts.

My reasons for endorsing the repeal of this provision are as follows:

I believe that it is unsafe for others as well as for me to leave a firearm in a vehicle when I enter a current “pistol free zone”. When entering a “pistol free zone”, I am often in public view, and feel vulnerable--that I may be seen by others as I unstrap and secure my weapon in my trunk. Then, when re-entering my vehicle, there is often an awkward moment when I have to decide whether it is worth the risk of being watched as I remove my firearm from the trunk to secure it on my person again. These moments of possibly being seen with a firearm may very well be more dangerous than if I were just legally permitted to carry my weapon at all times in its concealed state.

The other, possibly more important reason that the “pistol free zones” should be eliminated is that they will not deter violent criminals from carrying weapons in the current restricted areas. In fact, “pistol free zones” may very well make violent criminals even more confident in planning violent crimes, because they would know that law-abiding citizens would most likely not be able to stop them.

Please take into account my reasons for supporting Rep. Daniel Acciavatti in this matter. I hope that you understand and support this bill also. I sincerely believe that people should have the means to protect themselves and others at ALL times, and that the current “pistol free zones” create more potential for danger than safety to the people of Michigan.

Thank you very much for your time in hearing my voice."

steveksux
09-03-2007, 11:24
ANybody have any inside info on the status of this?

I'm thinking if it ain't out of the comittee by now, they're sitting on it, it'll never get to the floor for a vote. Thought I read somewhere that the Dems control this particular comittee? They're not known for pro-2A issues...

Randy

Barbara
09-03-2007, 16:40
That's pretty much the status (stuck in mud, last I knew.)

The majority of Dems in that committee are at least respectably good..the problem with these bills (this one and similar ones) is pure politics.

Bills introduced by Republicans are going to have a hard time making it through committee unless its part of a deal. Improvements from the Democrats, in most cases, are going to have to come from bills introduced by Democrats.

Everything is being held up this year because of the budget, too.