Transfer FFL in the Lansing area [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Transfer FFL in the Lansing area

podwich
05-16-2007, 16:33
I have a gun I will be receiving in the next few days and I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a good FFL in the Lansing area. I've found lists with lots of individuals but I don't know who's trustworthy. I've also seen Classic Arms but they charge $45 to receive a gun. Does anyone know of a good, reliable place that's closer to $20-25? Thanks!

coverdog
05-17-2007, 04:52
Put your zip in on this page. http://gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp

podwich
05-18-2007, 01:16
I ended up using Moose Creek Sports in Lansing. I'll update on how it goes.

douglasd
05-18-2007, 14:48
Originally posted by podwich
I ended up using Moose Creek Sports in Lansing. I'll update on how it goes.

Is that the one by "Dicker and Deal"?

podwich
05-18-2007, 21:17
Originally posted by douglasd
Is that the one by "Dicker and Deal"?

Yes. I stopped in and, while it was no upscale establishment, I felt like I could trust the guy. Are you familiar with it?

JellyBelly
05-18-2007, 21:55
Classic doesn't like to do FFL transfers on guns they sell, too. If it's a gun in their inventory you'll get charged more and the owner will give you crap about it your whole time there. (Witnessed it firsthand)

Moose Creek is the way to go, just park in their lot close to the street so your car is in view of their CCTV. Lock your doors, too.

Nobody has broken into my vehicle, but I've seen people looking into my car windows through their CCTV.

douglasd
05-18-2007, 23:54
Yes. I stopped in and, while it was no upscale establishment, I felt like I could trust the guy. Are you familiar with it?

I stopped in once just to check it out. I didn't see anything I was interested in, but I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them if I found something I wanted at the right price.

podwich
05-24-2007, 20:47
Just to update- the deal went well. Moose Creek Sports was good to work with and the place I bought the gun from, Knesek Guns, was good with communication, price, and getting the gun to me. The whole thing turned out to be a good transaction all around.

douglasd
05-24-2007, 21:15
Glad it went well. Did you save a lot, after the license fee?

podwich
05-25-2007, 05:14
He charged $25 for the transfer and didn't try any crap like trying to charge me sales tax on the rifle purchase, so that was very straightforward.

I guess how much I saved by buying out of state is dependent on how much you could get the rifle for around here. I didn't ask him how much he'd order it for (or if he even does that), but the one place I found that had the Colt 6721 (16" A3 LEO carbine) was selling it for $1450. I thought that was a bit excessive. I ended up paying $1150 for the rifle, with about another $50 into shipping and transfer fee. Given the price that Colts go for, I think I did alright. I don't think I could beat the price around here anyway.

I also didn't have to wait long to get the rifle (many dealers can't even seem to get them)- I ordered it May 8, I had it in my hands May 24. I'm not sure how much of this is just being fortunate as I only had to wait a little over a week for them to get a shipment in stock.

douglasd
05-25-2007, 09:48
Sounds like you did all right. I don't know rifle prices much, and I know that prices can vary greatly on guns, even at places right down the street from each other. Depends some on the volume they do, I suppose.

Except Total Firearms...they are way overpriced on just about everything. Plus, with their rude, arrogant, and very unknowledgeable sales staff, I'll never set foot in their establishment again. (But that's a whole 'nother thread) Too bad, too, because they have a fairly large store and a fairly good selection of guns, plus an indoor range.

Silver Bullet in Grand Rapids...Wyoming, actually...gets all my firearms business now. I don't live near there, but I work in that area quite often. Best people I've EVER done business with...a first class operation, plus they also have an indoor range. Classic Arms in Lansing are some good people, too (except the owner...she's a bit cranky much of the time), but their prices are a bit on the high side...though in general better than Total. Their selection isn't as complete, though.

Sorry...didn't mean to turn this into a personal rant.
Again, congrats on the deal you got.

podwich
05-25-2007, 16:59
Thanks for the info on dealers around here. I usually prefer to buy directly from a dealer rather than ship it in, just because it's usually easier (no dealing with FFLs, etc.). When I lived up in Marquette I knew a dealer who would give me pretty good deals on most anything so I ended up buying through him all the time. I'll check out Silver Bullet next time I'm buying something. I will say that my transaction with Knesek Guns was good though.

douglasd
05-25-2007, 18:53
I will say that my transaction with Knesek Guns was good though.

THAT'S the bottom line...shop where you are happiest! Price isn't always the determining factor for me. I like nice people. I'm willing to pay just a bit more if they treat me right.

:)

JellyBelly
05-26-2007, 22:36
Sounds like you did all right. I don't know rifle prices much, and I know that prices can vary greatly on guns, even at places right down the street from each other. Depends some on the volume they do, I suppose.

Except Total Firearms...they are way overpriced on just about everything. Plus, with their rude, arrogant, and very unknowledgeable sales staff, I'll never set foot in their establishment again. (But that's a whole 'nother thread) Too bad, too, because they have a fairly large store and a fairly good selection of guns, plus an indoor range.

Silver Bullet in Grand Rapids...Wyoming, actually...gets all my firearms business now. I don't live near there, but I work in that area quite often. Best people I've EVER done business with...a first class operation, plus they also have an indoor range. Classic Arms in Lansing are some good people, too (except the owner...she's a bit cranky much of the time), but their prices are a bit on the high side...though in general better than Total. Their selection isn't as complete, though.

Sorry...didn't mean to turn this into a personal rant.
Again, congrats on the deal you got.

Classic hired a guy recently who knows a LOT about hunting but NOTHING about guns. Beware of the skinny new guy.

He doesn't know the difference between a magazine and a clip, will tell you that bird shot is awesome for home defense, and hip-firing your shotgun in the general direction of the bad guy is mightily effective. I have heard him say all this and much, much more. He gets told the truth yet refuses to learn. Just learn what you need to know before going in there and don't ask him any questions and you'll be fine. He's a very nice guy, he just doesn't know anything about guns beyond their uses for deer and bird hunting.

douglasd
05-28-2007, 20:07
Originally posted by JellyBelly
Classic hired a guy recently who knows a LOT about hunting but NOTHING about guns. Beware of the skinny new guy.

JellyBelly, to you EVERYONE is skinny! :rofl:

I know you although I don't know if you remember me or not. Are you talking about the fairly young, dark-haired guy? If so, I know what you mean.

He doesn't know squat about guns. I've had some discussions with him. But he THINKS he knows, though.

If you want to talk to someone who know what they're talking about, talk to Dave. He's the only one I usually talk to.

JellyBelly
05-30-2007, 17:49
JellyBelly, to you EVERYONE is skinny! :rofl:

Okie is my long lost brother!

Yeah, that's George. He's the guy who's always in camo. He wears camo like I wear loud shirts. He's really a nice guy, but yeah, don't ask him about anything except hunting.