Who's taking it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who's taking it?

gr81disp
05-17-2007, 13:39
Who wins and how? Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell or Quinton "Rampage" Jackson? For those who do not know, this is a rematch, Jackson stopping Liddell the first time. This time though, Liddell is defending a title.

Halojumper
05-22-2007, 17:38
IMHO, Liddell should take it no problem.

Islander-11
05-23-2007, 04:28
I'm going with the Iceman. Lots of buzz for Rampage sells tickets. The Iceman will take him out early.

Gonetodarkside
05-27-2007, 01:45
:-(

the iceman's reign is over.......

goodbye old ufc dynsaty, they have all fallen.

gr81disp
05-27-2007, 05:37
UFC has never had dynasties. Matt Hughes and Tito are the two fighters with the longest title reigns and they only had five. Chuck had four, GSP and BJ Penn didn't even have one.

Gonetodarkside
05-27-2007, 07:31
Originally posted by gr81disp
UFC has never had dynasties. Matt Hughes and Tito are the two fighters with the longest title reigns and they only had five. Chuck had four, GSP and BJ Penn didn't even have one.

i was referring to the reign of matt hughes, rich franklin, chuck liddel, and to an extent arlovski...

lose guys had a pretty good run.

pjva04
05-27-2007, 07:59
Chalk one up for the BRAWLERS! Rampage had that aura about him that made me change my mind about who the winner would be during the walk in. BTW Houston Alexander beating the crap out of Keith Jardine was just as impressive, I like seeing "unknowns" come in and "upset" Dana's boys.

Dan Henderson should be an interesting addition, but I would like to see him go Middleweight.

Karo should get to face Koz, with the winner getting a title shot. Wonder who will win in the Battle of the Matts, it is pretty obvious to me Dana was trying to figure out how to get a new Welterweight champ as soon as Serra won it.

Last note, shouldn't Brandon Vera be getting a shot at either Heavyweight or Light Heavyweight pretty soon?

gr81disp
05-27-2007, 13:00
I expect Matt Hughes to be regaining his title sometime soon. As a matter of fact, Rich Franklin actually has a pretty good shot too. The only one I see a problem with is Chuck as he is getting kinda old, so I don't know if he can climb back up the ladder before his age starts showing.

Oh and Arlovski has alwasy been kinda inconsistent. If he can turn up the heat, he is fine, but when he decides to fight cautiously, it is all over for him.

As for Vera, he is still in Dana's doghouse for talking a bunch of smack about how he is going to Elite XC when his contract is up. If you had a fighter who said he was going to a rival organization, would you give him a title fight for the last fight on his contract?

walangkatapat
05-27-2007, 13:10
Didn't UFC buy out Pride?

pjva04
05-27-2007, 13:53

As for Vera, he is still in Dana's doghouse for talking a bunch of smack about how he is going to Elite XC when his contract is up. If you had a fighter who said he was going to a rival organization, would you give him a title fight for the last fight on his contract?

How about giving him a title shot contingent upon a 5 fight deal a la the Tito Ortiz signing. I think Dana is a good enough businessman to realize that fighters can be emotional by nature and that the good ones might need their bellies rubbed a little.

Originally posted by walangkatapat

Didn't UFC buy out Pride?

Zuffa did indeed buy out Pride, but as I understand it they are under some sort of separate entity agreement similar to that of NFL/AFL of old. You can actually find info on it by Googling "UFC Pride Merger"

walangkatapat
05-27-2007, 20:46
Originally posted by pjva04
How about giving him a title shot contingent upon a 5 fight deal a la the Tito Ortiz signing. I think Dana is a good enough businessman to realize that fighters can be emotional by nature and that the good ones might need their bellies rubbed a little.

Zuffa did indeed buy out Pride, but as I understand it they are under some sort of separate entity agreement similar to that of NFL/AFL of old. You can actually find info on it by Googling "UFC Pride Merger"

Why the merge if they aint going to fight each other. What do the fans want?

Gonetodarkside
05-27-2007, 22:57
I expect Matt Hughes to be regaining his title sometime soon. As a matter of fact, Rich Franklin actually has a pretty good shot too. The only one I see a problem with is Chuck as he is getting kinda old, so I don't know if he can climb back up the ladder before his age starts showing.

Oh and Arlovski has alwasy been kinda inconsistent. If he can turn up the heat, he is fine, but when he decides to fight cautiously, it is all over for him.

all reasonable and logical ideas..... i have no problem with you dude, and infact feel a kindred spirit to another martial artist... lets try and be cool?

pjva04
05-28-2007, 05:54
Originally posted by walangkatapat
Why the merge if they aint going to fight each other. What do the fans want?

I think they plan on "inter divisional" fights, but according to what I was reading they want to keep their brands' different nuances. I read most of this on Wikipedia, for what its worth.

Islander-11
05-28-2007, 06:40
All I know is that I may be the worst prognosticater in the world. I've gotten everything wrong lately.

Dana White always talks about not letting the UFC go the way of boxing. Thus, the UFC champs are going to face the top contenders. Good.

pjva04
05-28-2007, 08:13
Originally posted by Islander-11
All I know is that I may be the worst prognosticater in the world. I've gotten everything wrong lately.

Dana White always talks about not letting the UFC go the way of boxing. Thus, the UFC champs are going to face the top contenders. Good.

I haven't picked a main event right since St. Pierre beat Hughes.

Halojumper
05-28-2007, 08:47
Originally posted by pjva04
I haven't picked a main event right since St. Pierre beat Hughes.

I'm still kind of blown away at the Franklin, Hughes and Liddel upsets.

gr81disp
05-29-2007, 16:06
NO prob Darkside. It's the internet, so although I get a little hot under the collar sometimes, I don't hold grudges.

As for the recent spate of upsets, Sokoudjou over Lil Nog and Arona, Alexander over Jardine, Couture over Sylvia, Gonzaga over CroCop, Serra over GSP, Kos over Diego, Jardine over Griffin and Henderson over Silva were all bigger upsets than Franklin, Hughes and Liddell.

Franklin was doing OK until he got into the clinch. Unfortunately, they were only about 1:45 into the fight when Silva clinched with him. I still can't believe Franklin had that bad of a game plan. "I thought the clinch would be my sweet spot." His camp is named "The Muay Thai Dream Team" and you thought YOU would have the advantage in the THAI clinch? :freak: Der der derrr!

Hughes also had a bad game plan, decided to try out his standup, but unlike Franklin vs. Silva, wasn't comparable to GSP in standup, so by the time he decided that it was time to go to the ground, GSP had already rocked him pretty hard. GSP was a tough fight to start with and Hughes just made it harder.

As for Liddell, the only reason this was an upset was because Liddell has been on a tear and Rampage...not so much. But Liddell wasn't dominated, he went stupid and threw a HORRIBLE punch which Rampage made him pay for with his LHW title.

gr81disp
05-29-2007, 16:14
Actually, it looks like Vera decided that the UFC is the place to be recently. I guess it has something to do with the fact that if he EVER wants to hold a major title, it has to be with them since they just bought PRIDE.

Also, Dana said Wanderlei Silva will probably be Chuck Liddell's next opponent.

pjva04
05-29-2007, 17:17

Who takes that one?

gr81disp
05-29-2007, 22:18
I think Liddell does, cuz Wandy does not have 1 punch KO power, is even more wild with his swings, and has a glass jaw. TITO dropped Silva. Liddell has a hard head and good wrestling background. Liddell is tailormade to fight Silva.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/gr81disp/TitoVsSilva.gif

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/gr81disp/20304794_m.gif

TRMN8R
06-22-2007, 11:38

Actually what he said was that Silva needed to win a couple of more bouts before he'd have a chance to fight Chuck.

Then again, he made that statement before the outcome of the Rampage fight.

Hate to say it, but I knew the way Chuck went into the fight that Jackson was probably going to catch him. 99% of the fighters Chuck faces don't want to throw leather with him in straight stand-up; that's why Tito got pounded...again. Chuck went in on Rampage with his hands down, threw that sloppy ass punch and Jackson just capitalized on it. I definitely do NOT think he "owns" him, or "has his number" like some have said; but Chuck has GOT to change his game plan if they're really gonna' do #3.

Just my .02, TRM