A conspiracy of darkness . . . [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A conspiracy of darkness . . .

Thirties
05-17-2007, 14:58
The new Compact Fluorescent light bulbs sound like a great idea until you realize that they are not as bright as they claim -- lumenswize. And if the new 25 watt bulb is equivalent to the old 100 watt, why don't they sell a 30 or 35 watt lamp so we can have a bit more light -- we'd still be saving lots of power over our old 100 watt incandescent lamps, am I not right?.

No such things available from my local searches -- 25 or 26 watt maximum.

It's a conspiracy of darkness, I tell you!

Any folks know of a supply for 125 watt or 150 watt equivalents in Compact Fluorescent?

Washington,D.C.
05-17-2007, 16:42
Most aren't as bright as they are rated but you can move up to next brightest. The first ones I bought are very bright and come on instantly. I forget what they said on the package but on the bulbs it says "Continental Electric". The next batch I got say nothing on the bulbs and are very dim and take a sec or more to light up after throwing the light switch.The 1/4 power doesn't work out but if you use 1/3 power compared to regular bulbs then the brightness is about right.

Washington,D.C.
05-17-2007, 16:45
There are some rated as equal to 150 watt bulbs. Also look for 30 to 35 watts real power on the compact fluorescent bulbs. The first ones I got aren't rated any higher than the last batch I got but the first batch is much brighter. I wish I could remember the brand on the package. They say "Continental Electric" on the bulbs themselves.

Thirties
05-18-2007, 06:09
I know what they are. It is the 32 watt ones that seem to be best. But no one carries them retail. I haven't yet checked Home Depot, which I will do over the weekend.

Washington,D.C.
05-18-2007, 06:45
I think Home Depot is where I bought the 2nd package, the bad weak ones. They say almost nothing on the bulbs and the bottom ceramic is rounded. I might have bought the good ones there but it was a few months before. The ceramic is squared off on the botton edge and the bulbs are marked "Continental Electric" on the ceramic. These are the very best and brightest. I was surprised how well they worked and they caused me to trust the 2nd batch from another company on sale.

Thirties
05-18-2007, 06:58
OK, thanks, Potomac Man. I'll check out Home Depot.

KG4IDA
05-18-2007, 21:03
You might try the daylight type instead of the warm white. I think they seem to put out more light.

El_Ron1
05-21-2007, 01:13
<---Likes the dark. :cool:

Thirties
05-21-2007, 15:23
So Home Depot had only one "bright" compact florescent: 42 watt cool white @ $9.97 each. They had a 23 watt "100 watt equivalent", and nothing in between -- why the heck not???

Found 30 watt 5000K lamps at 1000bulbs.com online @ $3.41 each. Ordered a bunch,plus some 3-ways from them. Ship from Kansas.

Thanks, Home Depot, for stocking what we need and want (dripping with irony).

Anyway, I'm in the process of converting to the compact fluorescents as and when my incandescents burn out. No problem on TV or computer screen. Save some $$$ on power and, much more important, reduce the frequency of changing lightbulbs. These things are supposed to laaaast. According to my electrician, they do indeed.

Hey, we could start a new sub-class of jokes . . .

DiverDn
05-23-2007, 15:05
Originally posted by KG4IDA
You might try the daylight type instead of the warm white. I think they seem to put out more light.

+1 They do put out more light. So far I have only been able to find the 100w version.

Blitzer
05-23-2007, 17:21
Several of my local Wal-Markets have several brands and many wattage ratings in stock.:thumbsup:

Thirties
05-24-2007, 05:27
Blitzer, thanks. I'll check out Walmart as well.

4sarge
05-31-2007, 06:49
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
There are some rated as equal to 150 watt bulbs. Also look for 30 to 35 watts real power on the compact fluorescent bulbs.

Found this site Compact Flourescent Bulbs (http://www.1000bulbs.com/category.php?category=2086)

Large selection of various Watts 20 - 500

I know nothing about the company just did a Google Search