Goin' Back In ! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Goin' Back In !

NightKnight
05-17-2007, 20:41
I go to get my 'over 40' physical on Monday...wish me luck.
I served from Jan '81 to Apr '85. Two years after getting out I was trying to get back in but by then my wife and I had another child, so they wouldn't take me.
Week before last, my wife decides to drop in on the Recruiter to see if she can get back into the Reserves. So, what the heck, I go in too (couldn't hurt, right ?). After she talks to them briefly, I ask about me getting back in. I'm 44 years young with 4 years active duty. Boy did that get their attention !
We made an appointment to go back the following day (they had to go to a job fair right then) with all of our old paperwork (DD214's and such).
My wife can't get back in because of some surgeries she has had since getting out =(
BUT they will take me back in !! All that's left is for me to pass the physical !
Since I'm changing MOSs I have to go Reserves 1st for Warrior School and MP School, then switch to Active Duty.
I have my fingers crossed that I can go back into ABN School (not sure because of my age).
In the mean time I've been increasing my physical training (never really got out of the habit) just in case they let me back into ABN School (was hard enough when I was 18 years old, LOL).

I have a son that is with the 82nd ABN as an MP. He's over in Iraq right now (Camp Taji). He was a bit shocked to hear I was going back in, but he's pulling for me =):thumbsup:

xxiv
05-17-2007, 22:21
Good luck, as far as I know Basic Airborne Refresher, or BAR for short is what you'll be attending. I've never heard of anyone going through jump school twice.

Bren
05-20-2007, 14:59
Good luck. I recently went back into the reserves at 41 after being out of regular Army since 1986. I flunked blood sugar and cholesterol on the over 40 physical (it's a long story, but remember not to eat for about 9-12 hours before your physical), but I got a waiver.

md2lgyk
05-21-2007, 10:07
Good luck to you. I did sort've the same thing. Had 8 years active Navy, out for 15, then joined the National Guard at age 42. Just retired last year.

JimP
05-23-2007, 14:00
Dude - go for it!! I'm 46 and can still whip most of the youngsters. been deployed most of the last four years. You WILL deploy - so get used to the idea. Drop the weight, start on endurance and core muscles. Don't worry about the "beach muscles". Train hard with firearms since the state of training still sucks.

NightKnight
05-24-2007, 11:14
Well, took my 'over 40' physical, am just waiting for blood test results to come back sometime next week =)

The 'Duck Walk' almost got me. I ended up being squat down for 30 minutes before I remembered how I passed it back in '81 LOL
I had to get my feet a little farther apart (I'm 6'0" tall and 177 lbs nowdays) and take smaller steps. The Doc was about to send me out to complete some of my other testing when I told him I wasn't going to quit until I passed. He sat back in his chair and told me to take my time. I passed it on the next attempt !
Then, as soon as he told me I passed, I fell on my butt !

I aced all the other tests that day. Like I said, just waiting for blood tests to come back. Shouldn't be a problem though. Only thing I worry about is maybe my cholesterol.

Will update as I get farther through the process.

I want to thank everyone for their encouragement and support.
It's good to hear from others that are doing, or have done, the same thing !

CaliMoon2005- L
05-31-2007, 02:22
I'm just a baby.....Just bably 40.:thumbsup:

DriBak
06-08-2007, 13:58
Good Luck :thumbsup:

Glock_36
06-08-2007, 20:44
Good Luck:thumbsup:

skx762
06-22-2007, 08:07
I came in in '81 and am 45. I got a waiver to stay in one more year so I could come over here (Iraq). I can't believe how hard it is to volounteer for this place. LOL

They were making me get out this year and I threatened to get a fake ID and come back in as a 40 year old private. Figured I could get my E5 back in two years.........

:rofl:

Passafist
06-22-2007, 09:00
Best of luck to you. :thumbsup:

Hoo-rah!!!

Bren
06-25-2007, 14:09
Originally posted by skx762
I came in in '81 and am 45. I got a waiver to stay in one more year so I could come over here (Iraq). I can't believe how hard it is to volounteer for this place. LOL

They were making me get out this year and I threatened to get a fake ID and come back in as a 40 year old private. Figured I could get my E5 back in two years.........

:rofl:
Why were they trying to make you get out when you are under 60 and don't have 30 years in?

Fox
06-30-2007, 23:02
I am ex-Navy and am joining the Army National Guard. I am 39yo and a bit nervous about my physical conditioning as they only gave me three weeks before shipping out for the Warrior Transition Course. I wish they gave me more time to get in shape before shipping out.

Anyway, I been told that I will be going to Ft. Sill for processing and then we move to somewhere in New Mexico for training.

Anyone here been through the WTC? What is it like compared to boot camp?

Fox
06-30-2007, 23:07
The photo ain't working, try again later.

skx762
07-02-2007, 12:21
Originally posted by Bren
Why were they trying to make you get out when you are under 60 and don't have 30 years in?

I kept thinking I was going to retire so I always told them not to promote me so I am still an E8 (save it for someone that wants to be an E9).

In the active army you can only do 26 years as an E8. I got permission to stay another year so I could come over here (Iraq).

I think this little trip may check all the blocks, but I HAVE said that before.:upeyes:

NightKnight
03-11-2008, 11:25
WTC, Warrior Transition Course, is tough, both mentally and physically. It is NOT a 'basic training refresher course'. The course is designed to keep the pressure on. Wake up at 0500, formation at 0520. You have to have your bed made, your face shaved and in uniform (including weapon). Then your training day starts, only pausing for meals (about 20 minutes). This includes weekends, except for Sunday mornings (after lunch, expect to be back to training). I'mm 44 years old, and I made it, but if you intend to attend this course, get yourself in physical shape BEFORE you attend.
I graduate this week =)

NightKnight

GreenBeret1631
03-11-2008, 16:40
Good luck, as far as I know Basic Airborne Refresher, or BAR for short is what you'll be attending. I've never heard of anyone going through jump school twice.

Yes, you're right! You only go through BAC once.

I had a period from 1951 to 1961 on non-jump status. When I went back (SF Reserve) they placed me on the manifest for a night equipment jump.

No serious refresher course. I did a few PLFs and was helped with my equipment, prior to the jump, since it was a new weapon (M-14) and new type Rucksack. We jumped a AF Reserve C-119. No problems!

I would think when you were assigned back to an Airborne unit that they would give you some refresher training there just like mine; however, I did see this from BAC school at Ft. Benning, GA.

Quote:

"What if I'm already AIRBORNE QUALIFIED and just need BASIC AIRBORNE REFRESHER (BAR) - Can I do that at the Airborne Course?

YES. Basic Airborne Refresher (BAR) is conducted every Monday, at 1430hrs., by Tower Branch personnel. Report to the Tower nearest the Gas Station with Ballistic Helmet (configured for Airborne Operations), ID Card, and ID Tags. BAR will be IAW with 57-220 and take approximately 2 1/2 hrs.

bigdrill
03-11-2008, 20:58
KnighKnight, are you at Fort Sill for WTC?

sdsnet
03-11-2008, 21:25
I think what you are doing is just great. I have a daughter in middle school so we can't afford for me to do something like that but I sure wish I could. I often look back thinking that the military would have been such a good thing for me as a young man. I didn't know you could sign up being our age. Wow, what a neat thing to do. I would gladly go to Iraq and help out.

What an adventure you will be in for. I'm excited for you just thinking about it.

Thank you for your service ! :wavey:

md2lgyk
03-12-2008, 10:06
Congratulations. After 8 years of active duty during the Vietnam era, I was out for 15 before joining the Army National Guard at the ripe old age of 42. I eventually switched to the Air Guard and retired a couple of years ago with 24 years of service.

NightKnight
03-12-2008, 17:58
I inprocessed at Ft Sill, then went to Santa Fe for 2 weeks, now I'm finishing at White Sands Missle Range for the last 2 weeks.
If you are going to attend WTC, get in shape NOW. They don't have much time on the schedule for PT, and you do have to pass the regular AFPT, not the 1/1/1 mile.

oifvet71
03-23-2008, 14:54
I had a 8 year break in service prior to my current military commitment. I since have been back on active duty since 2003 and have seen Iraq twice serving a total of 27 months in the last 3 years. When I first reentered active duty I was assigned to a ****hole unit at FT Stewart due to the army screwing up my airborne skill identifier which they did not include on my ERB even though I went out of my way to prevent that from happening. In order to get back into a airborne slot I had to reenlist for the 82nd airborne in 2006.
My advice if you wish to jump again is make sure it's in your ERB before they give you a unit assignment. Otherwise you will be in legland and probably very miserable like I was.

mjp66m
03-28-2008, 17:39
Good luck,im going to Ft. Leonard Wood on april 8th 08 for BCT/AIT ARNG,as a 31B.41 Yrs old,NPS.got 1s all across the board.