Vehicle transfer/sale [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle transfer/sale

Dandapani
05-18-2007, 04:47
I'm preparing to sell my old motorcycle and wondered what the process is in FL?

Can I just hand the buyer a 'signed' title?

Or do I need the signature 'notorized'?

Or do we (buy and myself) have to appear before the Tax Collectors office to transfer title?

Or...?

(I've never done this in FL, moving here fall of 2004.)

TIA! :thumbsup:

tsbailey
05-18-2007, 05:15
I believe you only need to hand him a signed title. The buyer then takes the title to the dmv/tax collector to get his registration.

Dandapani
05-19-2007, 05:12
Originally posted by tsbailey
I believe you only need to hand him a signed title. The buyer then takes the title to the dmv/tax collector to get his registration.

Very similar to Ohio, except there the signature has to be notarized. Thanks!

noway
05-19-2007, 08:48
signed title and a bill of sale listing the VIN and amount and date & mileage.

The latter is optional but could help the buyer out when he/she hits DMV.

Court in FL.
05-19-2007, 12:05
Or do we (buy and myself) have to appear before the Tax Collectors office to transfer title?

That is what I would do and make sure the car is no longer in your name.
------------------------------

I heard a story once where a guy just took the cash and sighned over the title and thought that was the end of it.

Well the buyer never did get insurance or regester the car in his name. When he crashed the car and hurt other people in the accident he just vanished into thin air.

The car was still regestered to the original owner and law enforcement and the lawyers of those injured came after him!

Just food for thought.

Court in FL.

noway
05-20-2007, 10:54
{The car was still regestered to the original owner and law enforcement and the lawyers of those injured came after him!}

That' would easily be defeated with a Bill of Sale, and it would be up to the state police/lawyers job to determine who was actually driving the car at the time of the accident ;)

fwiw: It's up to the buyer to make sure the vehicle is re-register in his name ( i think by law 10days ) and to gather state minimal insurance, not the seller.
A bill of sale helps bother parties.

Gmountain
05-21-2007, 18:59
Originally posted by Court in FL.

That is what I would do and make sure the car is no longer in your name.
------------------------------

I heard a story once where a guy just took the cash and sighned over the title and thought that was the end of it.

Well the buyer never did get insurance or regester the car in his name. When he crashed the car and hurt other people in the accident he just vanished into thin air.

The car was still regestered to the original owner and law enforcement and the lawyers of those injured came after him!

Just food for thought.

Court in FL.

Court, that actually happens a lot. The best thing anyone can do is to go with the buyer to the tax collector and do the trsansfer right there. that way you are sure it is out of your name.