Open carried on Wednesday [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Open carried on Wednesday

MakeMineaP99
05-18-2007, 19:37
I finally got the opportunity to open carry. Carried my 2nd Gen G17 in a Little Feather IWB, shirt tucked, while buying gas north of South Bend.

The most painful part was paying for the fuel at $3.29/gallon. I didn't even see anyone give me a look. I was kind of surprised as I was in soccer mom territory.

Guess I'll be sending KSFreeman a case of ammo. What one of Kirk's laws of the internet was that?

Carry on!

Harlequin
05-18-2007, 20:29
I've opened carried all over. The only comment I've ever gotten was in a Golden Corral from a little black boy who asked why I was carrying a gun. I told him to protect the good guys from the bad guys. His family, who seemed like nice people, called him away. Nothing more was said. I've never been confronted otherwise even by LEOs.

I find that I'm more comfortable with open carry in Indianapolis than I am in this little hick town I live in. Because of my job I know people all over and I don't know who would be uncomfortable seeing me carrying and then working in their house. Some people are like that.

rhino465
05-18-2007, 20:58
Good going! (both of you!)

Prometheus77
05-19-2007, 00:22
Way to go!

My wife open carried two additional times this week around town. Including the Meijer again tonight. I covered before I got out of the car to go in and she didn't ;) She's kidna decided it's open carry from here on out for her, lol.

So far only one question from a lady in the checkout line with her the other day "My thats a big gun, are you a cop?" "Nope, just keeping away the rapists" she told me she said with a wink... that was the end of the conversation ;) I guess that service bitone XD looks big on her? :animlol:

fire1035
05-19-2007, 09:40
Is this a big deal to some of you guys? I open carry all the time, but I have never felt the need to come on here and tell you all about it.

FThorn
05-19-2007, 09:45
Originally posted by fire1035
Is this a big deal to some of you guys? I open carry all the time, but I have never felt the need to come on here and tell you all about it.

Well, you should. :)

axel
05-19-2007, 14:55
I've never open carried, except around the house. Tactical surprise could mean the difference between life and death in a VA Tech or similar situation. Why in the world would you want to possibly compromise your safety? Just my thoughts.

KSFreeman
05-19-2007, 15:51
Which one of the immutable Kirk's Laws of the Internet are you citing???

A case of .45acp would be fine.

Snowman92D
05-19-2007, 16:23
Originally posted by axel
Tactical surprise could mean the difference between life and death in a VA Tech or similar situation. Why in the world would you want to possibly compromise your safety?

I don't understand it either. I suspect that sometimes the needs of the soul surpass the logic of the mind.

rhino465
05-19-2007, 18:28

For some it is a big deal, as they don't have a good opportunity to do it very often. For others, it's a new thing that they're just trying for whatever reasons. For some, it's following enlightenment of the laws, as they may have previously been under the misconception that open carry is illegal in Indiana.

For some, it's a poltical statement. For others, it's about educating/indoctrinating the public that it's okay to do it. For others it's about convenience and/or comfort. From some it's about a combination of those, or something completely different.

MakeMineaP99
05-19-2007, 21:16
The area I was in is yuppie/soccer mom country. The point of open carrying was to excercise a right. These social elite liberals need to realize that decent hardworking people own and carry firearms, not just overweight, pick up driving, beer drinking Jethro types.

For the record, I prefer concealed carry for every day. I open carried to make a statement.

Kirk,

Must be the seventh law.

What's your UPS Acct #? I'll get a case of my reloads out to you right away, collect.;)

Harlequin
05-20-2007, 20:37
The only time I do it is when I have to remove my coat during the winter months and that happens to be my cover garment. Usually I am concealed. I understand that it's a tactical advantage. I can also understand that open carrying can be a deterrent, otherwise all police would carry concealed. It works both ways.

Fenway
05-20-2007, 21:05
I'm not sure about that all police would carry concealed point.

Originally posted by Harlequin
I can also understand that open carrying can be a deterrent, otherwise all police would carry concealed. It works both ways. [/B]

boby
05-21-2007, 04:36
Since we are swapping stories I have a funny one and a positive one.

Yesterday at subway in Greenfield I was asked by a rather thugish looking person if "Dats a GLOCK 9!?".
I replied "No sir its a GLOCK 23"
"O yea but dats a 9 right?"
"No its a .40"
"Damn dawg thats small for a .40"

That kind of cracked me up...

Today in Arbys the cashier asked if my weapon was real. I told her it was and asked her why she asked me that (I have been asked this a few times before.). She told me it just looked kind of like a bb gun because of the plastic grip. Then she told me a story where basically a guy was open carrying and a co-worker wanted her to call the police. She told the co-worker that quite obviously he was not going to rob them or he would have just done it, and that the guy was probably just carrying to protect himself.

I found that to be very encouraging :)

Keep on open carrying guys quite obviously it IS working.

rhino465
05-21-2007, 05:39
I carried openly several places on my way home from the USPSA match at Terre Haute yesterday. No comments at all "in public," but when I was about 200 yards from my house, I stopped to talk to a childhood/highschool buddy who was hosing some debris from his driveway. I was in my truck and when he looked indside, he saw one of my pistols and said, "Been out shootin' people?"

I just looked at him with a blank expression for about three seconds, then continued with our conversation that lasted about half an hour longer. I'm pretty sure he was teasing me, but either way it wasn't an issue after I didn't respond.

I note that technically since I was in my vehicle it probably wasn't "open carry," per se, and that is when I got the comment. When I was walking around before that, nothing!

Fisher 21
05-21-2007, 20:43
I don't open carry. First, I am not comfortable with someone taking my gun from me. Haven't had that much self-defense experience to react accordingly. Second, I don't feel the need to (don't know why).

I don't worry too much about printing though.

Funny story, a new couple that my wife works with had us over for dinner the other night. He was asking about carry license, carrying, etc. No one there knew I had my 642 in a belly band under my shirt. He didn't ask, I didn't tell.

rhino465
06-09-2007, 10:56
There's an active topic in the www.AR15.com Indiana Hometown Forum about open carry:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=30&t=271247

Some of you may wish to express yourselves there!

Fenway
06-09-2007, 11:34
This post sticks out to me over there.

I just took a beginner handgun course at Boone county. Sheriff Ken was more than hospitable and knowledgeable.
the point he made for concealed carry was this:
Although Indiana does not forbid open carry; one is a "damn fool" if one chooses to open carry. reason: IF you carry concealed you have a COICE. If you open carry the bad guy will choose to involve you weather you like it or not. With out announcing that you have a weapon you can gain cover and choose to stay out of the conflict OR create the surprise situation needed to take the BG off balance.

FThorn
06-09-2007, 15:26
I thought that if someone was upset about some traffic move you made, and followed you to your destination, if you were open-carrying and you got out of the car, the mere sight of the weapon might preclude the idiot from doing something. I mean, an ordinary non-carrying joe. And even if he was carrying, he should be aware that your open carry would be drawn faster than his concealed, perhaps.

rhino465
06-09-2007, 18:03
Originally posted by Fenway
This post sticks out to me over there.

Interesting! Having heard Sheriff Ken's lecture multiple times, I know he urges people to conceal in his jurisdiction. However, I've never heard him use the term "damn fool."

I'll have to ask him if he really said it.

It's also interesting to the significant difference between the average opinion over there vs. here. As a group, there are also notable political differences as well.

rhino465
10-28-2007, 02:36
I forgot to mention . . .

I open carried most recently last Sunday in both Terre Haute and Crawfordsville. No worries or problems either place.

RF7126
10-29-2007, 09:42
I forgot to mention . . .

I open carried most recently last Sunday in both Terre Haute and Crawfordsville. No worries or problems either place.

Terre Haute...Wow! Could you elaborate on where in TH? BTW, did I ever message you with the results of my informal survey during my internship with THPD?

rhino465
10-29-2007, 10:40
I probaby open carry more in the Terre Haute area than anywhere else.

This time it was the Arby's near the intersection of I-70 and SR-46. The last time before that was a few places on Third St (US-41).

RF7126
10-29-2007, 12:13
That's great to hear Rhino. Some of the THPD guys said their admin was still anti-citizen carry (so to speak), so I'm glad to hear you didn't have any problems.

Glock23Man
10-29-2007, 12:33
You don't understand the mindset of "social elite liberals," which is: If you carry a gun, you ARE an overweight, pickup driving Jethro type, not matter what you look like.

I hate to burst your bubble, but open carry only reinforces the idea that gun owners are goof-ball lunatics, since "social elite liberals" don't believe you should be able to own a gun, let alone carry one. You aren't changing any minds- sorry.

The area I was in is yuppie/soccer mom country. The point of open carrying was to excercise a right. These social elite liberals need to realize that decent hardworking people own and carry firearms, not just overweight, pick up driving, beer drinking Jethro types.

INJoker
10-29-2007, 15:39
MakeMineAP99...

You open-carried in Granger?!?!?!?! I can't believe they didn't point their fingers and gasp at you to death! You may not know it, but you DEFINITELY gave some soccer mom a heart attack!

If you open-carried in Roseland nobody would give you a second look. Especially if you wore a wife-beater and drove a rust-bucket mid-80's truck. Lol.

We'll have to go shooting sometime. I'll drop you a PM about Saturday.

Naptown34
10-29-2007, 16:02
There is no such thing as CCW in the "Great" State of Maryland for John Q Public.

I hate this stupid state.

rhino465
10-29-2007, 17:13
That's great to hear Rhino. Some of the THPD guys said their admin was still anti-citizen carry (so to speak), so I'm glad to hear you didn't have any problems.

Yeah, I still remember the accounts of some of them trying to bluff people (i.e. lie) about a fictitious city ordnance banning open carry in Terre Haute. If it ever existed (which I doubt), it's certainly not in the Terre Haute Municipal Code now. But, that's not going to keep dishonest, dishonorable people from lying. I suppose I could be generous and assume they are just ignorant of the law, but that's just as bad.

rhino465
10-29-2007, 17:16
I hate to burst your bubble, but open carry only reinforces the idea that gun owners are goof-ball lunatics, since "social elite liberals" don't believe you should be able to own a gun, let alone carry one. You aren't changing any minds- sorry.

You obviously have a right to your opinion, even though you're wrong.

The people who need to be reached are not the people who hate guns and don't want others to have them (even though they may want to have them for themselves). The people who need to be reached are those who are ignorant of the law and those who are just not used to seeing it.

RF7126
10-29-2007, 21:30
edit edit edit

MakeMineaP99
10-30-2007, 20:13

The people who need to be reached are not the people who hate guns and don't want others to have them (even though they may want to have them for themselves). The people who need to be reached are those who are ignorant of the law and those who are just not used to seeing it.

Talk about a blast from the past.

Well said Rhino, I was going to open with the same first line. Hope to meet you and shake your hand one of these days.

INJoker,

Damn straight. There is a bit of a "resistance" movement in Granger, just doing my part.

Don't even get me started on Snyderville.

ETA: Did you get my PM about the 1500?

Glock23Man
10-30-2007, 20:48
Most of these people don't hate guns, they're AFRAID of guns. And having some ******* open carrying because it makes his willie wiggle isn't going to convert them.

RF7126
10-31-2007, 10:40
Most of these people don't hate guns, they're AFRAID of guns. And having some Neanderthal imbecile open carrying because it makes his willie wiggle isn't going to convert them.

I don't think that's entirely true either. I've open carried exactly once, and that was only after getting to a table and sitting down.

However, when people find out that I carry and inevitably ask why (in varying forms of disgust or confusion), they almost always end up saying "oh, ok" when I give them a logical argument instead of a cliched phrase. I guess my point is that it can make a difference and create a positive impression.

Not to mention that there isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish I could open carry as a matter of routine. It's not that it makes my "willie wiggle" as you put it, but it's just plain easier to do. It's far more comfortable and IMHO easier and faster to draw from. I understand the arguments for concealed carry, and I'll admit there's merit there too. However, I wish it were treated as a personal preference in the same way that carrying a revolver or extra mag is. Frankly, calling someone a Neanderthal and making references to his "willie" sounds considerably less mature than a guy who simply found it convenient to not conceal. Perhaps it's a good thing you're not open carrying; you might well become that Neanderthal. Or perhaps I'm overgeneralizing based on the tiny amount I know about you, in the same way that someone might overgeneralize about a person open carrying.

Everything seems to be a trade-off with carrying, I just don't understand why some people get so up in arms when another person makes a different trade-off. (With the exception of morons who truly do carry just to feel important)

rhino465
10-31-2007, 11:57
Much of the problems that exist among us are due to some who disapprove of open carry lacking the ability to either just agree to disagree or to state their opinions based on facts and logic. Far too many of them choose to project their own emotional problems with condescending accusations like the "willie wiggle" comment or the hackneyed "big man" cliche. None of that is persuasive and it's definitely not productive.

Glock23Man
10-31-2007, 22:23
Point taken- I should NOT have called anyone a name.

I guess I agree with you to a degree, but also feel that most people who brag about "open carrying" on these forums don't open carry because it's more convenient to not conceal. If this were the case, they wouldn't feel the need to crow about it on the forum and say, "Hey, look what I did!!!!!" They would just do it.

As Freud might say, "Sometimes a gun is just a gun," but sometimes it isn't.

I have a LTCH, but rarely carry, because I don't generally find it necessary. I do carry when I know I'm going to be some place a little uncomfortable and I carry when I have other weapons with me in the car. I do not let people know I am carrying though, since I don't feel that it's any of their business.

Frankly, calling someone a Neanderthal and making references to his "willie" sounds considerably less mature than a guy who simply found it convenient to not conceal. Perhaps it's a good thing you're not open carrying; you might well become that Neanderthal. Or perhaps I'm overgeneralizing based on the tiny amount I know about you, in the same way that someone might overgeneralize about a person open carrying.

Everything seems to be a trade-off with carrying, I just don't understand why some people get so up in arms when another person makes a different trade-off. (With the exception of morons who truly do carry just to feel important)

INJoker
10-31-2007, 23:20
IMHO, if you don't carry daily you shouldn't say anything about the daily habits of others at all.

On the other hand, even if you DO carry daily, you probably STILL shouldn't.

It's all a matter of personal preference.

I don't feel that most people come on here to "brag" about open carrying, nor do I feel that any of them open carry to get attention. I think it's a curiosity that most people want to explore at some point. I don't feel a need to open carry and in truth, I probably never will. The closest I come is an OWB with a tucked in shirt and only a jacket for cover from time to time.

Do I applaud people who DO open carry? Very much so. The only reason that people are "afraid of guns" as you mentioned earlier is that they are never exposed to them. We see guns daily in rap videos, "World's Scariest Police Chase" videos and in action movies where they are used solely as offensive weapons and never as a tool for self defense.

It's because society has been indoctrinated to believe that guns are evil that they feel that way. I'm guessing that fifty years ago you could drive down just about any road outside a major city and see someone walking with a rifle without flinching. Today, you'd most likely call the police. The same thing goes in states like Arizona where when I was a kid and would visit relatives, I VIVIDLY remember real-life ranch-hands (and people of other professions, I'm sure) being in restaurants with revolvers and semi-autos in leather holsters, plain as day... I never thought they were "bad" guys because I understood what the firearms were there for.

That's something we need to get back. The more we simply hide our firearms for the sake of keeping people from being uncomfortable around them, the more we fuel the already brightly-burning fire that resides in our society that makes them think all firearms are evil and because of that, anyone with a firearm must have ill intentions.

Pitmaster
11-01-2007, 06:39
Talk about a blast from the past.

Well said Rhino, I was going to open with the same first line. Hope to meet you and shake your hand one of these days.

INJoker,

Damn straight. There is a bit of a "resistance" movement in Granger, just doing my part.

Don't even get me started on Snyderville.

ETA: Did you get my PM about the 1500?

As far as open carry, I think there is a time and a place. I would usually carry concealed. But I think that open carry in situations where being surprised is a low risk that will get people used to seeing guns. The more they are around the more people ignore them.

JohnN
11-05-2007, 01:46
The one downside I can see to open carry is people observing you leaving your vehicle thinking there may be other firearms in the trunk.

rhino465
11-05-2007, 14:00
The one downside I can see to open carry is people observing you leaving your vehicle thinking there may be other firearms in the trunk.

I never thought of that, but it's definitely a possibility.

That's the primary reason I don't put NRA, GOA, JPFO, SAF, USPSA, etc. stickers on my vehicle.

Prometheus77
11-07-2007, 19:43
We don't open carry much here, but we do from time to time...

After shooting on Saturday my wife open carried into a few stores in Highland and then into the Cabelas that just opened in Hammond. 3 hammond cops at the front door could have cared less. The greeter freaked a little bit thinking cabelas policy applied only to concealed carry at first, but after a couple minutes figured out corporate policy allows open or concealed carry in any cabelas stores where state law allows it (including Indiana).

I kept concealed going into cabelas simply because I didn't want BOTH of us to get hassled by the hammond PD at the same time, some of the 'rookies' don't realize open carry is legal.

I tend to 'open carry' more in the winter.. Simply because I take off a jacket and there it is. Summer time I wear light over shirts with a single button buttoned which is pretty much just as easy to draw as open carry. I HATE having to conceal carry under a sweater or something similar... move the jacket, then the sweater blah blah... LAME-O! ;)

Oh yeah, what was she carrying? VZ 61 Skorpion in a drop leg holster, under her shirt she also had a XD9 but that was concealed :P

B Coyote
11-18-2007, 15:38
I open carry at work all the time. In the year we've had this policy at work, the night-shift customer base has cleaned up drastically.

bc

Skpotamus
11-18-2007, 22:09
I've open carried a bit, but mostly in winter when I carry in a blackhawk sera instead of my normal CTAC, when I take the coat off it's just there. (although a button down shirt unbuttoned over it helps quite a bit. I don't like to in my former home town of Terre Haute/vigo county. I've had a few run ins with police there that get pissy about open carry ("it's a CCW, that means CONCEALED, you cannot open carry in Indiana period"). Hell, I've had some argue with me about being able to carry hollowpoints in my carry gun, having magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, tell me what the length of a knife has to be for it to be considered "too long" (there is nothing in the laws about knife length, just no swtichblades or chinese throwing stars), tell me my kershaw assisted opening knife is illegal, try to arrest me for killing a deer with a .410 (the year they made it legal), try to arrest me again for not having a deer tag (I have a lifetime comprehensive hunting license, but that's "not good enough"), so in the haute, I just keep it concealed.

BTW, I actually work for the sherrif's dept on occasion (I help teach defensive tactics), and I still get this crap. It's mostly the city, but the county does it too. They use some obscure "enabling" law to try to justify it. Basically, it's crap, and not legal, but they've gotten on people for it.

MakeMineaP99
11-18-2007, 22:15
I open carry at work all the time. In the year we've had this policy at work, the night-shift customer base has cleaned up drastically.

bc

You still working in a liquor store?

Warp
11-22-2007, 01:42
Today and yesterday I openly carried my G26 in an OWB holster (Blackhawk Serpa) with a G17 magazine and A&G grip extension in Northwest Indiana. Tucked shirt, no cover garment. OPEN.

Hobart/Merrillville. The "Southlake" mall itself, Gander Mountain, Best Buy, Walmart, Barnes and Noble and probably somewhere else as well.

Good experience, as usual. I even bought ammo at Walmart.

B Coyote
11-22-2007, 02:26
You still working in a liquor store?

Yep. I'll never leave. While it's not perfect, they do take pretty good care of me.

bc

Loucks
11-22-2007, 05:15

I just wanted to say that I'm incredibly envious. If I tried to open (or even concealed) carry at work I'd be fired, arrested, and charged.

I'm not sure I'm liquor store material, though. I gravitate toward low-risk employment.

Scutter01
11-22-2007, 09:46
I just wanted to say that I'm incredibly envious. If I tried to open (or even concealed) carry at work I'd be fired, arrested, and charged.

I'm not sure I'm liquor store material, though. I gravitate toward low-risk employment.

Fired, I can possibly see. What would you be arrested and charged with (unless you work at a daycare or a post office or something)?

rhino465
11-22-2007, 12:57
Today and yesterday I openly carried my G26 in an OWB holster (Blackhawk Serpa) with a G17 magazine and A&G grip extension in Northwest Indiana. Tucked shirt, no cover garment. OPEN.

Hobart/Merrillville. The "Southlake" mall itself, Gander Mountain, Best Buy, Walmart, Barnes and Noble and probably somewhere else as well.

Good experience, as usual. I even bought ammo at Walmart.

Good going.

Given that you were in "da region," I think this lends more evidence to support my contention that how you conduct and present yourself plays a big role in how you are treated if you choose to carry openly.

Warp
11-22-2007, 14:20
Good going.

Given that you were in "da region," I think this lends more evidence to support my contention that how you conduct and present yourself plays a big role in how you are treated if you choose to carry openly.

I agree.

The Region isn't the most conservative area of Indiana. Lake County usually votes Democratic and all the news we get up here comes from Chicago.

I spent quite a bit of time out and about, ate at the food court for awhile, etc. Nobody gave me any looks, nobody called the police, no security officers/employees asked me to conceal or leave.

Of course, a sizeable percentage probably assume I am an off duty LEO. I guess I fit the bill other than the fact that I am pretty skinny (6' 160).

I firmly believe that more people openly carrying in a responsible manner will "educate" people who are on the fence and cause them to realize that, hey, regular people carry guns.

rhino465
11-22-2007, 16:33
In the immortal words of the Space Hippie "Adam" from the Star Trek episode, "The Way to Eden," . . .

. . . "we reach."