whats your favorate veggie and preparation? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : whats your favorate veggie and preparation?

97guns
05-20-2007, 09:39
or all Gtalkers carnivorous? my fav is cauliflower and the way i like it is steamed and then dipped in egg, rolled around in my flour/corn flake crumb mixture and pan fried in olive oil. i got the idea after having deep fried cauliflower at the fair. just wondering if you are eating your veggies or if your like some people i know that dont eat any at all with the closest thing to a veggie being french fries and ketchup. ouch my colon hurts.

--------------------

tavo
05-20-2007, 16:15
Sugar snap peas. Cold & raw.

major
05-20-2007, 16:44
Fresh asparagus cooked in the oven, with a little olive oil, sliced tomatoes, and onions on top.

MrsKitty
05-20-2007, 17:52
Eggplant. Grilled, baked, fried, anyway is fine by me :supergrin:

Tomatoes. REAL TOMATOES! Fried green tomatoes. Tomatoes and macaroni. Roasted tomatoes with olive oil over pasta. Cold home-canned tomatoes eaten like soup.

Asparagus. Grilled. Steamed.

Zuchinni. Grilled, sauted in olive oil with or without soy sauce.

bocephus549
05-20-2007, 18:24
I love bacon wrapped grilled asparagus.

noway
05-20-2007, 20:03
Potatoes steamed, fried or baked

Broccoli & lima beans steam or cooked in a aluminum papillote with butter, water and seasoning.

Michael Dean
05-21-2007, 12:43
Grilled veggies

lethal tupperwa
05-21-2007, 14:56
heat some olive oil in a frying pan

smash a clove of garlic and add to the pan

drain a can of green beans add to the pan

do the same with a can of chopped tomatoes but don't drain

salt and pepper to taste cook until the tomatoes juice is just about gone.

Chopshopchopper
10-21-2007, 09:11
1/3 Diced tomatoes
1/3 Diced white onions
1/3 Sliced and halved cucumbers
Tossed with sour cream
Salt + ground pepper

MMMMM Goood!

WARNING: never use light or diet sour cream with anything!

Cali-Glock
10-22-2007, 14:33
fresh green beans cooked in an iron pan with EVOO and garlic. Though lately we have been steaming them and then adding the garlic and the tiniest amount of EVOO.

My wife started baking cauliflower with some EVOO, garlic and adding a sprinkling of fresh parmasean at the end of the baking time. Wonderful!

We eat tons of homemade salsa.

Potatoes: not very often, and red potatoes only... cooked and prepared almost any way imaginable.

FastJuice
10-22-2007, 14:45
Squash. Sliced, battered and fried.
Its a southern thang....

Cousin
10-29-2007, 11:14
Broccoli rabe (rapini) cut up and steam-sauted with garlic, tossed with penne pasta, a generous amount of sliced oven-baked Italian hot sausages and drizzled with some really nice olive oil. Crusty bread is optional.

84S
11-15-2007, 02:22
Collard Greens! Clean them well before you cook them!! I slow cook them with a little bit of pork and watered down homemade chicken stock and they taste great. Summer time for me growing up was tomato sandwiches, fresh cucumbers in vinegar, and silver queen corn on the cob. That's good eats if you ask me.

citori59
11-15-2007, 02:52
just palin old brocolli steamed to perfection and eaten au natural.

sweetatergal
11-15-2007, 09:31
Asparagus. Grilled. Steamed.

Zuchinni. Grilled

+1 there.

I like to steam Asparagus add some EVOO, salt, pepper and some balsamic vinegar....YUMMY or steam it up, then cut into bitsize pieces and mix with Orzo, add some butter and fresh grated parm cheese.

Grilled Zuchinni that has been marinated in Mrs Dash, salt, EVOO and Balsamic Vinegar. YUMMY!!!!!!

KG4IDA
11-15-2007, 19:09
Spinach Maria!

Uzi4U
11-15-2007, 19:55
Living in Idaho has given me a special interest in potatos. From an Idaho postcard, this is probably the richest potato soup you could make:

Idaho Baked Potato Soup

2/3 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
7 cups milk
4 large baking potatoes, baked peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
4 green onions, sliced
12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (I like a lb of bacon)
1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

In a large soup kettle, melt the butter and stir in flour heating and stirring until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thick. Add the potatoes and onions. Bring back to a boil while stirring constantly. Simmer for 10 minutes at reduced heat. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until the cheese is melted. Serve with crackers. Great on a cold winters day.

Chopshopchopper
11-16-2007, 19:43
Living in Idaho has given me a special interest in potatos. From an Idaho postcard, this is probably the richest potato soup you could make:

Idaho Baked Potato Soup

7 cups milk
4 green onions, sliced
1 cup sour cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

In a large soup kettle, melt the butter and stir in flour heating and stirring until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thick. Add the potatoes and onions. Bring back to a boil while stirring constantly. Simmer for 10 minutes at reduced heat. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until the cheese is melted. Serve with crackers. Great on a cold winters day.

I am going to have to give that one a try. I love soup.

Cali-Glock
11-17-2007, 19:06
mmm I will try that soup!

Brussle Sprouts:

Cut off the bottom, and remove the outer leaves, - quarter the sprouts. I do this to a couple pounds of sprouts.

Par-boil the sprouts.

Drain.

Throw three or four tablespoons of butter in a large/deep frying pan.

Throw the sprouts in with the butter, then cover the sprouts with milk or cream. (I used canned milk.)

Cook, stirring often, keep from going into a rolling boil, - keep at about a milk boil. The idea is to further break up your spouts as they cook.

Keep cooking until the milk has been absorbed/evaporated. Salt and pepper to taste.

One of my favorite dishes. I have won over many a person who says they HATE brussle sprouts.

As my mother says, - drown anything in cream and butter and it will taste good.

The real key however is the par-boiling - that removes the sharp aciddy taste that brussle sprouts otherwise have.

BL33D 4 M3
11-17-2007, 19:15
Buy the smaller, baby zucchini. Fry 4-5 strips of bacon in frying pan, crumble and leave fat in pan. Add sliced onion, sliced zucchini and a chopped tomato. Salt & pepper.

mitchshrader
11-17-2007, 19:32
seared greens. mixed mustard and turnip, small leaves, washed and spun dry. slightly chopped, with a green onion..

smoking hot bacon grease, a cast iron skillet, toss em in all at once and stir em till they shrink up.. 2-3 minutes..

a dash of tabasco & balsamic vinegar. (or home made pepper sauce)..

got some smokey ranch beans to go with that, and fresh cornbread, you're there.

2AMomma
11-17-2007, 19:34
Sugar snap peas. Cold & raw.

+1 to that!

I also like fried okra...

Glockerel
11-19-2007, 06:28
Gosh, just one??

Fresh Green beans cooked with jowl bacon, onions, corn and black pepper
Breaded Eggplant
Fried Cabbage in Bacon grease
Hierloom Tomato sandwich with Hellman's
Fresh Sweet Corn
Blackeyed peas with rice, bacon, onion and garlic

lethal tupperwa
11-19-2007, 07:16
Try this
Heavy frying pan with a lid
high heat
1/4 inch of water
lay the Asparagus flat sprinkle salt on it (keeps the green color)
some butter (to taste or Smart Balance)
put the lid on and when the water is almost gone it is done
the butter left is your sauce

sweetatergal
11-19-2007, 12:29

Idaho Baked Potato Soup

7 cups milk
4 green onions, sliced
1 cup sour cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

I have this exact recipe! It is GREAT soup. SouthernGal gave the recipe to me.

Uzi4U
11-20-2007, 07:17

My family loves the Idaho Baked Potato Soup so much that it is usually completely gone by the next day. Haven't tried it yet but our oldest daughter uses Yukon Gold potatoes instead of Russets.

JLJ
11-20-2007, 07:55
Squash or pumpkin prepared for my Ruger Security Six in .357 magnum. 125 grn semi-jacketed hollow points.

MMMMMMM exploding vegetables!

JLJ

Chopshopchopper
12-08-2007, 15:02
1/3 Diced tomatoes
1/3 Diced white onions
1/3 Sliced and halved cucumbers
Tossed with sour cream
Salt + ground pepper

MMMMM Goood!

WARNING: never use light or diet sour cream with anything!

I just added fresh dill to the mix, I will be using dill from now on. MMMMM GOOOD!!!

Dr. Slots
12-08-2007, 16:58
I have two favorites from when I was growing up, unfortunately I do not have the recipes and have been unable to duplicate from memory.

The first one was grated zuchini placed in an iron skillet to which my Mom would add sour cream, a diced garlic clove, maybe a little flour, and I'm not sure what else. It looked disgusting but there was nothing that I would rather sop up with a biscuit, including gravy.

The second one was a cold cucumber salad, Sliced cucumbers, sour cream again and several other ingredients, not sure what. This was then placed in the refrigerator to chill until dinner time.

I miss those days.
Mike

The Pontificator
12-08-2007, 18:15
Broccoli rabe (rapini) cut up and steam-sauted with garlic, tossed with penne pasta, a generous amount of sliced oven-baked Italian hot sausages and drizzled with some really nice olive oil. Crusty bread is optional.

Ho fame.

Please PM with directions to your house. :eat:

Seafarer12
12-17-2007, 22:43
I love bacon wrapped grilled asparagus.

Or you can go high class and wrap them with prosciutto.

As far as veggies. I like everything but radishes.
Favorite would be grilled eggplant or grilled bell peppers. Now that I think about it just about any veggie grilled or cooked with bacon.

Mild Bill
12-18-2007, 18:55
Good stuff guys... You know what I do that's a killer?

I take sweet corn off the cob, season it with salt & pepper and saute and toss in a little butter & olive oil till it gets golden...
Stir and saute some more... Repeat...

It reduces, concentrates the corn flavor and sweetness, gets toasty and a lil' sticky...

It's decadent eaten as a side dish, and real good folded into a nice Mexican rice...

Like that Goya Mexican Rice... Delicious stuff...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31HS49ARQ3L._AA160_.jpg

You never had better rice after adding that corn...

A little half & half and some grated Parm puts it way over the top...

Nicky D
01-05-2008, 09:22
If I had to choose one favorite veggie then it would have to be grilled corn on the cob, nothing better.

However I prefer most of my veggies grilled: zucchini, asparagus, potatoes, onions and string beans. There maybe some that I am missing. Of course you can't forget a fresh tomato right off of the vine with a little kosher salt and those raw sugar snap peas that weer already mentioned make a great snack as well.

Texas357
01-05-2008, 11:36
Sliced, skewered, brushed with butter, sprinkled with garlic, grilled (over charcoal of course). On my current grill, I've only bothered with meat once, and since then, I've always just used portabellos. No risk of undercooking.

decalguy
01-22-2008, 23:50
Michigan asparagus in the spring, simmered, buttered, and salted. Like Cali, I have made some brussel sprout converts too. Simmered until real tender, cut half, melt real butter blend in some real lemon juice, sprinkle with lemon pepper, some garlic salt/pepper, mmmmm mmmmm.

gruntmedik
01-23-2008, 21:51
Asparagus on the grill. I melt a stick of butter, and add to it--
1/2 tsp tarragon
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/4-1/2 tsp kosher salt
splash of lemon juice

Coat the asparagus in the mixture, then put on grill--direct medium heat for about 4 min, then turn and continue 3-4 min.

My other favorite is a recipe my Grandmother and Mother use for fried corn.

Take about 6-8 ears of white corn, and cut kernels from cob. Then, take the spine of the knife and scrape the cob, getting all the good stuff out.

In a cast iron skillet, put a tablespoon or 2 of bacon grease in and melt it.

Put corn and scrapings into skillet, and put enough water to just cover the corn. At a simmer, let it cook down, then repeat with the water.

After the water has cooked down the second time, use milk, just covering the corn. Add fresh ground black pepper to taste, and cook down until the free liquid is gone.

:eat:

SouthernGal
01-24-2008, 11:02

Yep, that soup is a clone of the old "Cooker" one. Man I love that stuff!

antediluvianist
01-26-2008, 19:25
Hunt's Pork and Beans. Don't worry about the pork, you can't see it anyway.
On scrambled eggs, with some rice.

Also, bean sprouts sauteed with sliced onions and served with soy sauce.

woodaspdawn
02-15-2008, 17:53
Red potatoes anyway you cook them.
Broccoli steamed/boiled with melted cheese on top or baked in a mixture of jiffy corn muffin mix and cheese.
Corn anyway you cook it.
We occasionally eat salad. I like mine to be a lot of lettuce, a little bit of carrots, parmasean cheese, croutons, any nuts that we have around the house, light ranch dressing, and sometimes a little red apple.
I'll only eat tomatoes if they're in a salsa, marinara, or something like that, but if the pieces are too big then I eat around them.

Aside from that, I won't touch veggies. :whistling:

I'm so hungry now. We're having cheese and broccoli, fried deer tenderloin, and jiffy corn muffins for dinner tonight. :eat: