Switching from Westell to 2-wire home portal [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Westell to 2-wire home portal

PicardMD
05-20-2007, 13:57
I don't know much about computer networking...

Our current modem is a Westell 6100 from our DSL provider (Bellsouth, if it makes a difference).

We have an old 2-Wire Homeportal 1000HW that is not "supported" by Bellsouth (they support 1000SW, have no idea the differences), would love to be able to use it for home wireless.

I have found that simply disconnecting from Westell Modem and plugging in the 2-wire does not work... (OK, I don't know much about modems...)

Can someone tell me, step by step, what I need to do to switch from the Westell modem to the 2-wire homeportal? Or if it is even possible on a modem not supported by my DSL provider. And, HOW TO SWITCH BACK TO WESTELL IF THIS EXPERIMENT FAILS... need to know before hand in case I can't connect to the internet and ask for help if it fails... :supergrin:

P

srhoades
05-20-2007, 14:36
You connect up the 2wire. You then need to login into it via it IP. I think 2wire is 192.168.1.1 Make sure the login is set to PPoE and put in your username and password for your DSL service.

PicardMD
05-20-2007, 20:51
And if the above doesn't work, would I be able to just hook it up to my old Westell? Or do I need to reconfigure the Westell (?how) again?

Also, anything I should do (or can do) to make the 2-wire home wireless as secure as it can be? I have a 2-wire card that came with the homeportal, how do I use it with my laptop besides just insert it into it?

Thanks, I know they are probably simple questions... I'm old.

P.