Get thee to a Glock Match! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Get thee to a Glock Match!

Atlantya
05-21-2007, 10:22
If you do nothing else to shoot your glock this summer, get thee to an outdoor GSSF Glock Match! Better yet, volunteer at one!

I just volunteered at the Wisconsin Glock Match held at Schultz's Gun Club ( check it out - www.schultzgunclub.com - they do some really cool stuff there ) and it was more fun than a barrel of monkeys, seriously. I got to flirt, um, er, um, I mean, TALK with lots of people from all over the country. Apparently a group even flew in from California (though how I missed flirting, er, um, I mean TALKING with them, I'll never know) to shoot the match.

And talk about seeing all the different glocks there are! With over 180 shooters, I think I might have actually seen almost every glock there is. Very exciting. I even got to shoot the new Glock 21SF. Shooters Sports Center from Racine, Wisconsin ( www.shootersonline.com ) was there selling Glock gear - unfortunately I was way too busy to browse, but that's ok, I go shopping there enough anyway (besides glock gear, they have really cool knives and a ton of other stuff.)

Mike and Julie Williams worked for two years to bring the match to Wisconsin and did an absolutely outstanding job of running the match. Join us at next year's match, or shoot one near you, you won't regret doing either one! Or, even better, volunteer at next year's match with us. We're a lot of fun, and they feed us really good lunches from Bubb's. And Chris from Glock even buys us beer at the end of the day.

Just - a word of warning - if you see anyone at a match with red shirts that say "Indy Glockers", specifically Ed and Edwin, on them - say hi to them, they're friendly and all, but make sure you're up on all your shots. Just in case. :rofl: :hugs:

tlish
05-21-2007, 17:25
i'll be shooting one in, um, indy actually, in mid-late june! i can't wait, but i'll be sure i'm properly vaccinated before then! glad ya had fun!

WIG19
05-22-2007, 11:43
Originally posted by Atlantya
I got to flirt, um, er, um, I mean, TALK with lots of people from all over the country...Ahhhhhhh, so THAT was you!
:faint:

She is right you know. And the inaugural Milwaukee match was a blast. They've hosted some USPSA stuff before and the RO's pretty much had a handle on what it takes to run a match. This match is going to grow (you'll need to get a 2nd plate rack if you do) and it's great to have another match a bunch of us can do in a day, versus the Lewis & Clark expeditions we go on for some others around the country.

Everyone was friendly. Myself (Western WI, almost MN) and the rest of the crew from Rochester MN and up from IA had a great time, many setting personal best times. As usual in GSSF, everyone roots for everyone else to do well.

And if you don't feel like getting your shots to hang out with those Indy Glockers, just save the energy. You should be hanging out with the Team Carver Mounts crowd anyway! ;)

Thanks for volunteering at the match; it's always the members that make it memorable. For those of us in this neck of the woods the match at Schultz is a VERY welcome (and earlier) addition to the schedule, where Indy was typically the first. See ya next year! Or maybe you'd like to join us in Indianapolis next month and shoot that one yourself...?
:thumbsup:

:patriot:

Atlantya
05-22-2007, 20:13
Originally posted by WIG19
[B]Ahhhhhhh, so THAT was you!
:faint:

Hello?!??! And why are you fainting and thudding? Yes, that was me. But you weren't supposed to know that. I was in the witness protection program that day.

She is right you know.

Well, for pete's sake. Of COURSE I am! The sooner you realize that, the easier it is on everyone.

the RO's pretty much had a handle on what it takes to run a match.

Yes, because we rock!

This match is going to grow (you'll need to get a 2nd plate rack if you do)

I know nothing about a 2nd plate rack. But I do know that if we grow, the RO's will need foot massages throughout the day. :supergrin:

Everyone was friendly.

Lies! All lies! I was as snarly and unhelpful as possible. Mike just told me I couldn't poke any of you with sharp sticks like I usually do. Hmph. Next year I'm going to get a button that says, "Do I look like a Freakin' People Person?"

As usual in GSSF, everyone roots for everyone else to do well.

Yeah, is that why you carried a little voodoo doll of Butch around with you and kept sticking it with pins every time he shot, hmmmmm?

Myself (Western WI, almost MN) and the rest of the crew from Rochester MN and up from IA had a great time, many setting personal best times.

In all seriousness, I'm really glad you did. I know that Mike worked really hard to bring the match to Milwaukee, and then worked really hard for a long time to make it a good match, along with a lot of other really good people. Personally, I only worked really hard on Saturday and Sunday. Hey, I had laundry to do and stuff.

And if you don't feel like getting your shots to hang out with those Indy Glockers, just save the energy. You should be hanging out with the Team Carver Mounts crowd anyway! ;)

Hey! Were you one of those Team Carver Mount guys? You guys had the second-best shirts!! (the Three Glock Mike team had the best - hey, those guys score my targets throughout the year - I'm not stupid, I know who to suck up to). And one of your guys graciously let me dryfire his Glock 17. It was a really nice gun.

Thanks for volunteering at the match; it's always the members that make it memorable. For those of us in this neck of the woods the match at Schultz is a VERY welcome (and earlier) addition to the schedule, where Indy was typically the first. See ya next year! Or maybe you'd like to join us in Indianapolis next month and shoot that one yourself...?

You're very welcome. I had a lot of fun. Actually I think I'm going to go to Indy to shoot, if I can find someone to drive with me. Otherwise, see you next year!

WIG19
05-23-2007, 05:54
Originally posted by Atlantya
Yeah, is that why you carried a little voodoo doll of Butch around with you and kept sticking it with pins every time he shot, hmmmmm?
Uh... no. That would've been dp177 on Saturday. Butch is my coach (we drove down & shot on Sunday) and, besides, we don't shoot in the same class. We both have class, just different kinds. ;)

Hope to see more new shooters at Indy (http://gssfonline.com/schedule_etc/images/maps_2007/IIN-Map-2007.jpg) this year!

Lady27
05-30-2007, 07:20
Howdy Atlantya,

We did the Wisconsin match(big smiles) and will do two more matches this year. I would shoot more, but I am supposed to have a life outside of shooting. Hate it when that happens.

Remember the girls we brought to the match? We have a few more girls we hope to get to matches as well. We also bought them a 20 gauge shotgun recently cause they don't seem to warm up to my 12 gauge. I am going to have them shooting clays with some friends on Sunday. I hope they like that. I sure do.

Xenia
06-07-2007, 02:17
I was thinking of going to the one in Michigan in September.

But in reading about it, I realized I just don't understand enough... literally, the instructions itself confused me.

If between now and then I find someone patient enough to take me who knows a thing or two, I will try it.

Lady27
06-07-2007, 07:33
Xenia,

Is it the courses of fire that confuse you most? If so I think that can be explained pretty well or even demonstrated. You could even pick up on that at the match pretty well if nothing else. But let me know if there is other stuff that concerns you. The range masters are pretty good about helping new shooters learn along the way. The main stuff you want to know in advance is range rules having to do with safety.

WIG19
06-13-2007, 10:54
Here to second what Lady27 said; GSSF folks (both shooters and RO's) are notoriously 'nice' at helping new shooters through their first match. I think Lady27 who (with MisterLady27 and their family), practices with those wild guys up in MN would attest to that. Actually the match in Brighton is our big "Lewis & Clark" style expedition during the year now, wherein we hit Brighton MI to shoot on Saturday, then drive (I won't say how) to Hallsville MO to shoot that match on Sunday. We reversed it one year, but I think it'll continue to be MI, then MO.

If you'd like to shoot the Brighton match and have someone 'shepherd' you through registration and shooting the match, drop me an email and we'll keep in touch as to things you can do in advance as well as which day we would be there. (Also, we can sign you up together and then we're in the drawing for a new gun!) :supergrin:

Give it a try, the people are nice and it really is a blast!

Xenia
06-16-2007, 18:16
Originally posted by WIG19
Here to second what Lady27 said; GSSF folks (both shooters and RO's) are notoriously 'nice' at helping new shooters through their first match. I think Lady27 who (with MisterLady27 and their family), practices with those wild guys up in MN would attest to that. Actually the match in Brighton is our big "Lewis & Clark" style expedition during the year now, wherein we hit Brighton MI to shoot on Saturday, then drive (I won't say how) to Hallsville MO to shoot that match on Sunday. We reversed it one year, but I think it'll continue to be MI, then MO.

If you'd like to shoot the Brighton match and have someone 'shepherd' you through registration and shooting the match, drop me an email and we'll keep in touch as to things you can do in advance as well as which day we would be there. (Also, we can sign you up together and then we're in the drawing for a new gun!) :supergrin:

Give it a try, the people are nice and it really is a blast!

Thanks.:wavey: Check your email.

Mrs. VR
06-16-2007, 18:55
I've done IPSC, and it's a lot of fun, but I'll admit, I get a little overwhelmed, and probably wouldn't do it unless I had someone else there with me. (either VR or a friend). I KNOW it's all for fun, but I get overwhelmed and nervous that I'll be last in everything. :rollingeyes:

WIG19
06-18-2007, 10:35
Originally posted by Xenia
Thanks.:wavey: Check your email. Got it ma'am and reply sent! :thumbsup:

FWIW, GSSF is much more new-shooter friendly in the sense that it's much less physical. No drawing, speed-reloads, movement to cover & slipping on your keester in the gravel... :embarassed:

It's been compared to Bullseye w/Glocks, or Bullseye w/some steel. And not alot to disagree with there, since you can't miss fast enough to win.

Looking forward to September! :supergrin: