Buy a Firing Range... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buy a Firing Range...

boilergonzo
05-21-2007, 20:42
Okay, team... the former State Police Post and Firing Range in Pendleton is listed on the surplus auction site of the State of Indiana (see link below).

What do you think it would take to buy this chunk or real estate (with nice firing lanes and berms).

We'd be the talk of Glock Talk if we could pull off a group buy of this magnitude! Yeah, I know. Insurance would probably suck the life out of us, but it is fun to dream!

http://www.surplusin.com/images/state/Pendelton_Range/aerial2.jpg

http://www.surplusin.com/properties_viewdetails.aspx?pi=1257&xt=MAP

tlish
05-21-2007, 21:00
do you know how many lanes it has? how many yards? it would be sweet to pull it off. who else is going to buy it? ;)

biggl35
05-22-2007, 15:11
Tell me how much, and I'll write a check. (Within in reason, of course.)

txgho1911
05-22-2007, 18:42
would NRA step in to help procure and insure it?
How about an NRA operated range? I think it is likely to small for a new major undertaking by the NRA.

Loucks
05-22-2007, 22:58
That's been up on the site for quite a while. I'm surprised that it hasn't sold yet. I'm going to drive up that way when I get off work this morning, as I live just down the road. It sure would be nice if we could raise enough to take it off the state's hands, no? Dare to dream...

Poppa Bear
05-23-2007, 09:22
We have updated our range and are making further modifications to it to make even better.

1. What are the berm heights? Less than 20' and you might be looking at raising them.

2. Do you have eyebrows over the rifle portion of the range to help contain projectiles? If not, you might need to install them.

3. What is the fallout area for projectiles? This will impact what changes are needed to bring the range into compliance. If the city grew around it enough you might be looking at much higher berms with eyebrows on all the berms that will serve as impact berms just to ensure containment.

4. Could it be that the state abandoned the range because the cost to bring it up to code is greater than moving to a new location and starting from scratch?

boilergonzo
05-23-2007, 14:00
I can't answer any of those questions definitively, but I'll guess:

Berm heights appear to be at least 20 feet tall, perhaps more (guessing from driving by on S.R. 9).

Doesn't look terribly long, so I'm guessing rifle isn't going to be much fun here unless the range was flipped ninety degrees (which would involve a new berm, etc., and totally defeat the purpose).

Right now, corn fields are about the only thing in harms way. That could change, but given the current housing market, probably not soon.

In reality, 20 acres in the middle of nowhere with a hill and sand would probably be cheaper (the buildings aren't really needed and add cost). I was just interested to see the land for sale, price unknown.

Poppa Bear
05-23-2007, 17:15
If you knew the answers, then great. The real issues; is it worth what they are asking and why are they selling it?

It is the little things that get very expensive when they are forgotten about.:supergrin: :supergrin:

Pop Gunner
05-27-2007, 22:05
I am a courier out in that area.
The road right behind the range is Pendleton Pike or S.R 67 leading into Pendleton.
Theres barely any back stop,plus the tree line leads into a cornfield right behind the pistol range.No rifle range available.
So misfires and richochets,are a very strong matter at this location.
It's an outdated facility,plus I'm sure the EPA would be involved in clean up and would require current standards brought up to code to be zoned as a pistol range again.

Prometheus77
05-27-2007, 23:37
FWIW I was looking into buying another range and insurance is no where near as bad as people think it is...

I'd do a full study on EPA requirements prior to buying ANY range.

That is where the real issues are and lead cleanup ain't cheap.

TLHelmer
05-28-2007, 07:07
Hey BoilerGonzo,

It is a minimum of 50 yards since that is our course of fire.