Change start meny name [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Change start meny name

havensal
05-22-2007, 06:34
I added an new user to our server. I managed to misspell the name. Unfortunately I didn't notice until I had the workstation all set up. Now I can't figure out how to correct the name at the top of the start menu. I think everything is fixed on the server. Anybody have an idea? I searched the net but everything I found was for XP home or how to change the "start" button text. XP Pro workstation on a Win 2K server. Thanks. :)

David_G17
05-22-2007, 08:52
start -> control panel -> user accounts

click the user listed. then select change account name.

havensal
05-22-2007, 09:00
That works for XP home, but I don't see anything in PRO. :)

Patrick Graham
05-22-2007, 09:44
Originally posted by havensal
That works for XP home, but I don't see anything in PRO. :)

Switch to classic view.. you'll see it all then..

Or you could do it by right clicking on my computer and click manage, then click on local users and groups, then users.. just delete the user and re-create the account

havensal
05-22-2007, 10:11
It looks like that is only for Local Users. This is a network account, not local. :)

Patrick Graham
05-22-2007, 10:43
Originally posted by havensal
It looks like that is only for Local Users. This is a network account, not local. :)

Aaahh.. a network.. you want to change a user name in a domain..

... sorry.. didn't read close enough...

You do that in user manager for domains.. at least that's the way it used to be in NT4.. my last cert..

havensal
05-22-2007, 11:06
I may be missing something on the server side. I thought I had everything changed.

I figured there would be some sort of registry value I could change, but I can't find one. :)

Patrick Graham
05-22-2007, 11:31
Just type change domain user name in google.. all sorts of stuff out there..

havensal
05-22-2007, 11:51
I couldn't find anything to change it, but I did find how to remove it. Thanks Pat :)