New PC on the way... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New PC on the way...

goatranch
05-22-2007, 12:29
I have a new Dell E521 coming. Yeah!! XP Pro, Athlon 64X2 dual core processor. 2G RAM, 80G HD. Got GOOD deal on three day special. Are the dual cores really fast??:banana:

David_G17
05-22-2007, 20:28
Originally posted by goatranch
Are the dual cores really fast?

I tend to think of it more as "high bandwidth" (lots of throughput) than "fast" (high clockspeed) - but, yes, they're generally pretty fast too.

Kilrain
05-23-2007, 00:16
Originally posted by David_G17
I tend to think of it more as "high bandwidth" (lots of throughput) than "fast" (high clockspeed) - but, yes, they're generally pretty fast too.

Would you say it's like an aftermarket replacemnet automotive oil pump? High volume not high pressure? A comparison I might understand.

I just got a new computer with an E6600 Intel Duo dual core and it's fast and able to handle most anything I throw at it.

Glocker424
05-23-2007, 05:57
Originally posted by Kilrain
Would you say it's like an aftermarket replacemnet automotive oil pump? High volume not high pressure? A comparison I might understand.

I just got a new computer with an E6600 Intel Duo dual core and it's fast and able to handle most anything I throw at it. Yeah those E6600s are amazing. Make sure you pair it up with DDR2 800 RAM to get its full potential. If you pair those Core 2 Duos up with slow ram they will not preform to their full extent.

To the OP:
I think you should build your own computer and go with a Intel Core 2 Duo build because the core 2 duos are top of the line right now and sweep AMD right off the table. There has also been a price drop on all Core 2 Duos recently and even RAM so buying DDR2 800 RAM is way cheaper then it used to be.

Bottom line is if you pair a fast processor up with slow ram, your robbing the speed you can get out of that processor.

Like dealing with a dirty air filter or clogged fuel injectors, your going to get less performance.

goatranch
05-23-2007, 14:57
According to reports online, the Athlon X2 is better. Probably doesn't mean much. 'He said , she said', blah, blah, blah. I got it up and running today and it works great. I am happy and THAS what counts in my book.