Help- Win XP and Firefly External Drive [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help- Win XP and Firefly External Drive

tbhracing
05-23-2007, 20:08
GT braintrust- Help, I just did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro, got all of the MS updates, loaded in all of Sony's drivers and I still cant get my desktop computer to recognize the Smartdisk Firefly external hard drive.

There are no drivers from Smartdisk to d/l.

Any help? Thank you!

Gallium
05-23-2007, 20:22
Originally posted by boukca
GT brain trust- Help, I just did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro, got all of the MS updates, loaded in all of Sony's drivers and I still can get my desktop computer to recognize the Smartdisk Firefly external hard drive.

Any help? Thank you!

I assume you meant you CAN'T get the ext drive to be seen by the computer.

I'll assume it's USB or firewire.

1. Try a different slot.
2. If it has power, make sure it's powered up.
3. Go to Smartdisk/Firefly's website for drivers.

'Drew

Sgt. Schultz
05-23-2007, 21:04
Start – Programs - Administrator Tools – Computer Management – Disk Management select the drive and create partition and format it.

Sgt. Schultz
05-23-2007, 21:07
If Administrator Tools is not visible on your start menu (it’s not by default) … Right click the Start menu, and then click Properties, On the Start Menu tab, click Customize, Click the Advanced tab, and under Start menu items, scroll to System Administrative Tools … Click Display on the All Programs and the Start menu.

DScottHewitt
05-23-2007, 21:10
Just about every third Windoze update kills something on my computer. Last victim was the multi-media slots. Auto-Update went in last night. have to check and see if they are working now.....

I think it is gremlins. Seems they hit you too.....

Scott

Sgt. Schultz
05-23-2007, 21:30
Originally posted by DScottHewitt
Just about every third Windoze update kills something on my computer. After I setup a client’s computer and apply the necessary updates I set it to “Notify me but don’t automatically download or install updates” that way the user can decide if the update is necessary.

tbhracing
05-23-2007, 22:12
Thanks folks. I will try it.

Blownblazer
05-23-2007, 22:20
some ext drives need a power cord the usb 2.0 sometimes will not give it enough juice if the drive came with a ext power cord plug it in...

tbhracing
05-23-2007, 22:22
Originally posted by NYC Drew
I assume you meant you CAN'T get the ext drive to be seen by the computer.

I'll assume it's USB or firewire.

1. Try a different slot.
2. If it has power, make sure it's powered up.
3. Go to Smartdisk/Firefly's website for drivers.

'Drew

Check, check and check. The drive is still not coming up like it should. Should I download service pack 1 from MS?

DScottHewitt
05-24-2007, 04:02
Should I download service pack 1 from MS?

Yeah. Right before you download Service Pack #2.....

Scott

Gallium
05-24-2007, 04:38
Check, check and check. The drive is still not coming up like it should. Should I download service pack 1 from MS?

Is it USB or firewire or SATA?

Have you verified that other likewise devices are working on the computer - have you isolated the issue to the computer & ONLY this device?

...'Drew

Deanster
05-24-2007, 09:16
I'm just posting in this thread so I can pull it back up later as an example of the hell Windows puts users through.

That said, I use the Firewire version of the Firelite drive (Firefly's slightly larger brother), and an HP USB drive that's very similar, and haven't had problems. Do you have a USB memory stick or other USB storage device you can test with?

I'd also move to SP2 asap, for both security and stability reasons, though it may not address your specific problem with the drive.

Gallium
05-24-2007, 09:51
Originally posted by Deanster
I'm just posting in this thread so I can pull it back up later as an example of the hell Windows puts users through.

Ok.

This past weekend, my client was attempting to record an instrument via microphone to a Mac.

It was a USB mic. A SAMSON mic, which looked like a Shure KSM44.

It would not work (intuitively) on the Mac.

I plugged the mic in my Acer Travelmate 46xx, presto bingo, it is recognized, & works in my PC.

15 minutes later, four guys with three Mac notebooks are still trying to get it working....

'Drew

Deanster
05-28-2007, 01:01
I'm usually the first one to argue that Macs aren't perfect... All kinds of problems exist, and they can get ugly.

Windows seems to do it more frequently, though.

Had you previously installed a driver for a USB mike on your laptop?

I get mighty frustrated trying to convince Win machines to connect to the most popular models of HP laserjets via USB, where you'd kinda think they already had drivers onboard. But a brand-new WinXPsp2 box won't even admit that it's a printer you've hooked up until you download the driver set and install.

You'll forgive me if I'm skeptical that you simply grabbed a never-before-used random USB microphone, plugged it in, and your system just figured out what it was, installed the driver, and let you start working.

Macs aren't magic, though - the reason they so often recognize the printer you plugged in and 'just work' - they've each got a giabyte and a half of printer drivers in the System folder (actually in the Library folder, but you get the idea).

Gallium
05-28-2007, 06:18
Originally posted by Deanster
I'm usually the first one to argue that Macs aren't perfect... All kinds of problems exist, and they can get ugly.

Windows seems to do it more frequently, though.

Had you previously installed a driver for a USB mike on your laptop?

I get mighty frustrated trying to convince Win machines to connect to the most popular models of HP laserjets via USB, where you'd kinda think they already had drivers onboard. But a brand-new WinXPsp2 box won't even admit that it's a printer you've hooked up until you download the driver set and install.

You'll forgive me if I'm skeptical that you simply grabbed a never-before-used random USB microphone, plugged it in, and your system just figured out what it was, installed the driver, and let you start working.

Macs aren't magic, though - the reason they so often recognize the printer you plugged in and 'just work' - they've each got a giabyte and a half of printer drivers in the System folder (actually in the Library folder, but you get the idea).

Be skeptical as much as you want. I'd never previously before installed any driver for any microphone on my system, as (unlike most mac laptops) my notebook has a STEREO LINE IN, and I typically hang a XLR> 1/8" connector off the mixing consoles straight into my laptop to record my shows.

One of my principals show up with a "Samson" USB mic, plugs it in his Mac, it does not work.

I take the mic, plug it in my PC. 20 seconds later I'm recording into my program (www.goldwave.com)

I give the mic back to them after playing back what I'd recorded, and they were STILL futzing around 20 minutes later trying to get the thing to work.

So there you have it. Anecdotal, word of mouth that a PC, right out of the box does something better than a Mac.

'Drew

Gallium
05-28-2007, 06:19
Can MAME run natively on a Mac?

With my USB joystick, I am playing Defender, Stargate, Vanguard, Galaga, Phoenix, Asteroid, etc etc

Deanster
05-30-2007, 23:09
my notebook has a STEREO LINE IN

Thanks - that makes perfect sense - it's got the stereo-in port, so it seems likely the laptop came with an appropriate driver set pre-installed.

Sorry, didn't mean to be obnoxious, but AFAIK, that's not a 'stock' Windows capability, so it seemed pretty clear that the drivers had been added somewhere along the line.

You actually highlight one of Mac's greatest weaknesses - with WinPC's, there are many manufacturers, and you can choose a hardware mix that meets your needs, and mix-and-match to a good extent.

With Mac, you're stuck with what Steve says you should have. If the laptop you want doesn't have it, you're SOL.

This approach helps with overall integration, but puts very real limits on your flexibility - and that's a big part of Windows long-term success. You want a gaming laptop that you can hardly pick up - someone makes it. You want a desktop PC that has slots for every input protocol used since 1985 - someone will sell it.

That's one area I'd never give PC's a hard time about - they truly do cover more ground than Macs, at the expense of being a bit thin everywhere - I think Macs do a better job for the 'mainstream' consumer user, and in a few specific verticals.

But the reason I run a mixed network is that my business sector-specific software is Win-only, like so many other specialized packages - Win is where it's at for lots of things, and it's crazy to fight it when you're working in one of those areas.