Yankee coming south... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Yankee coming south...

Indy_Guy_77
05-23-2007, 23:04
I promise, I'm just visiting! I'll be gone before you know it...hehe

Will be visiting family in the Social Circle (Covington/Conyers) for a few days starting on Memorial Day.

I spied on the sticky above about ranges around and only saw one in Covington...but it's a private club. Who knows if my uncle knows any members who could take us as 'guests'.

Any other place to shoot out that direction?

Perchance, anyone interested in getting together TO shoot either Tuesday or Wednesday? I promise that I'm well groomed AND well mannered, even for a Yankee. A HOOSIER at that!

-J-

lhuff
05-26-2007, 19:24
If you're takling about South River, I believe it's a member's only for the rifle and pistol ranges, but anyone can shoot trap and skeet. They have a web site at South River Gun Club (http://www.southrivergunclub.com/).

The nearest free range I know of is a National Forest Service range in Greshamville, GA. Depending on where you are in Covington, it could be a 30-60 minute drive for you. It's a big cut into a bank with some shooting tables. Bring your own targets and stands and expect no one else to be around during the week. It's actually down a dirt road.

Have fun in the south and thanks for going home. :supergrin: :supergrin: Seriously, have a good time and come back often.

Warp
05-28-2007, 15:42
Be sure to check up on the carry laws very carefully. They are HORRIBLE compared to Indiana.

www.georgiapacking.org

Indy_Guy_77
05-31-2007, 21:41
Shhh... Don't tell anyone, but I decided not to carry whilst I was in Georgia. The laws are WAY too convoluted for me to have learned what they were anyhow. Besides, I wasn't out in "public" a whole heck of a lot.

But I DID learn of a very NICE shooting range south of Social Circle (east of Covington)

The Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center has a very nice FREE public range. It's about 12 miles south of I-20 on State Route 11, south of Mansfield a little way.

Must bring all your own target stands, no shooting at bottles, glass, etc. Must throw away or take home all that you bring, including brass.

Allow non-reloadable cases to be fired as well. It's a BRASS HOUNDs dream! Unfortunately or unfortunately, some folks don't police their empties.

And y'all will be happy to know that I did, in fact, leave. hehe. 8:30 this morning (Thursday) I left the booming Metropolis of Social Circle and pulled into my apartment exactly 9 hours later.

-J-

Warp
05-31-2007, 21:44
Originally posted by Indy_Guy_77
Shhh... Don't tell anyone, but I decided not to carry whilst I was in Georgia. The laws are WAY too convoluted for me to have learned what they were anyhow.

I don't blame you. I still routinely go places where I am not sure, and places where legality would be decided by a prosecutor and judge and could easily go either way.

I've been here three weeks and I cannot wait to move the hell away. It drives me nuts.w