I'm An Embarasment To My Lodge [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I'm An Embarasment To My Lodge

ede
05-24-2007, 02:56
or so i was told. this has bothered me for several years now. i was told by a DDGM that i was because i came to the lodge from work instead of going home and getting cleaned up, but then i'd of been a hour or so late and an embarasment for another reason. the DDGM did have the deceancy to inform everyone present how he felt as well as confronting me privately. that and a few other things have sure made me think less of some of the people involved in it.

JayPap
05-25-2007, 18:45
Sorry to hear it was handled that way.

He or someone else could have called you aside and explained how they felt.

A DD on a official visit is the GM representative and they usually command that respect.

It's basically thier rules in thier district. I know of some areas way up north where business meetings are in work clothes, it depends on the district.

If a tuxedo or suit is required I would feel uncomfortable in work clothes and probably just stay home, thats my opinion, but I would never try to openly embarass anyone.

It's unfortunate that in a organization that promotes harmony, that this wasn't handled differently.

We have had some very good guys in charge, and some not as good, don't let this exclude you from your next meeting, DD's come and go but thats your Lodge.

A_Fletcher
05-25-2007, 20:06
My Lodge had a similiar incident with Thomas Smith (DDGM) in the 10th district. Blue Lodge had our inspection, and he promptly failed us. No do it again, no nothing. Failed us on the spot. First of all, this is a guy from a Lodge that doesn't have enough people that come to Lodge to even open it. Second, he was a new DD and there was a whole lot of brass sitting on the side-lines since my Lodge is generally referred to as "The Jewel of the 10th District".

Did I get upset or angry? Nope. I realized that he was an *******, resolved myself to aknowledging that I wasn't going to change him and then promptly began ignoring everything he said.

If I was you and I really wanted to take it to the point, I'd contact the GM. As the other gentleman said, the DDGM's are representing the GM. Just ask your GM if he'd say something like that, and if he wouldn't then ask him why he'd let one of his representatives say that.

ede
05-26-2007, 05:24
i guess i should of filled in a few more details, it was our anual inspection and i was an officer. something i have never understood is why one of the first things you are told is it's about your chacter and not about what you own or the position you hold at work and yet so much is put into the dress. then again i don't own a suit and have no intention of going out and getting one. when i was master and the DDGM ask about dress for the inspection i was going to say i wanted every officer to wear a rolex, but as it turned out i was working a 2 month shut down out of state and didn't make it home for it.
i'm just a dumbass with a key board but it seems to me there are several aspects of being a lodge member gets put on the back burner for some silly superficial things.

jrr6602
05-26-2007, 07:33
We are taught that we meet on the level and that all masons are the same. Our jobs feed us and our families, our primary concern is the well being of our family. A man should not be judged by his clothing. It is the inside that makes a man a mason and a good citizen. I am a LEO and I usually come to meetings in full uniform because I usually don't get offfduty, until 6:00 pm. I do remove my weapon. We have members that are carpenters, plumbers, electricans, and HVAC, and they all come direstly from work.

Chuck66
05-26-2007, 08:29
Originally posted by ede
one of the first things you are told is it's about your chacter and not about what you own or the position you hold at work...

That's the way it is at our lodge. We have farmers who show up in overalls. As long as they have clothes on, we don't care. It is about character and brotherhood. I suggest you ignore the DDGM, as he appears to be power-tripping. Don't let him discourage you. You'll only see him once, maybe twice while he's in office, if it's the way it is here. Worry more about your local brethern. What do they think about the situation?

It is much more disgraceful to me to suggest that someone not be present at such an important visit, than to show up for said visit in less-than-formal attire. Maybe you should complain to the Grand Lodge that he needs his priorities examined.

ede
05-26-2007, 14:08
well thanks to all of you who replied. you've made me feel much better about this. this happened two years ago and i have pretty much decided the DDGM is a dick head, as some others including another DDGM have pointed out. our present master and a "one dayer" makes an issue about dress. since i'm no longer an officer it doesn't apply to me but it still bothers me to think it's how we're "rated" and judged. thanks again.

mmsig229
06-20-2007, 08:27
This is a touchy topic, but here goes. The Master usually dictates the dress. We all wear suits and ties for stated meetings, and the officers wear Tux's for degree work and inspections/Installations. And yes I do remember giving the FC Charge..But I do feel dressing properly shows respect and adds to the decorum. Same reason I wouldn't wear shorts and flip flops to Church. If I came from work, I'd consider leaving a change of clothes at the Lodge and change before the meeting. FWIW, our DDGM's would stroke out if the officers weren't wearing a Tux at an inspection. I do realize though than different states have different customs. Not intending to stir the pot here though.......

mmsig229
06-20-2007, 11:39
Brother Ede, check your IM's....

CaptDoug04
09-23-2007, 12:18
I wonder if this is why Indiana doesn't have DDGMs? :supergrin:

monschman
10-02-2007, 22:52
what happend with that compass to keep us circumscribed in due bounds with a brother mason. I feel that whomever spoke to you like that was out of order. My lodge has a dress code for the offices during degrees. Stated meetings are up to ourselves, it is appreciated when we dress up to what was expected of us in the olden days, however it is also respected that times change and with it so do we.

I have witnessed a master wearing a metallica t-shirt and those baggy short tings with the chains on 'em at a stated meeting (he works at a local record shop) and I personally have never been in lodge without a tie. What does it matter?, we are all on the same level. Our first and foremost commitments are to God, our family and our lives, nothing we undertake can come before them or conflict with them in any way. We were all told this before we took our obligations, and as the GM said at this years annuak general meeting, "if we continue to remain old men, in old buildings, talking about old things, then surely the craft will die, as do all old things. We must learn to accept that our new brethern have much to contribute to the craft and wish as fervently as we do to see it continue"
Brother, do what you need to do to keep your obligations, worry not bout the interpretations of your actions of others. Be well, my friend and thank you for sharing, you are not a disgrace to anyone, I will happily seat with you and share fellowship, for, you are there and not at home worrying what color tie to wear.:thumbsup:

Hoppes No.9
10-30-2007, 01:08
I do remove my weapon.

Is that a requirement?

Vic Vega
11-12-2007, 20:52
My lodge prefers that all members wear at least a suit and tie to meetings and especially if it is an important event. But, if you don't have time to change from work to lodge then we would rather see you in work clothes than have you miss the meeting.

hiram2005p0
11-24-2007, 16:56
Is that a requirement?I seem to remember something about not having offensive weapons in the Lodge, but my weapon is defensive and I never remove it when in Lodge.

jrr6602
11-25-2007, 08:21
No weapons, offensive or defensive in lodge rooms in Texas.