Death Motorcycle rider. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Death Motorcycle rider.


FThorn
05-24-2007, 06:59
I passed what I would call a "left lane parker" at about 5:45 am last week on I-465. He was a lone motorcyclist. Looked to be a Harley. As I approached I could see a skid lid (not full-faced helmet), and LONG pony tail. As I PASSED, I looked over and this guy had one of these on...kinda freaked me out. :)

http://www.meancycles.com/images%5Cinventory%5Cparts%5Cpart_212947.jpg

I just wish he'd put some eyes in that skeleton/skull so he could 'keep right unless passing.'

Loucks
05-24-2007, 21:02
Either that or a bike-mounted holster for his sickle.

IronHorseman
05-26-2007, 06:46
It wasn`t me.

FThorn
05-26-2007, 08:19
Good. :)

I've been looking at bikes to save fuel costs. But, as I watch my commute traffic, it scares the crap out of me. I've been hit by a car before on a bike, and did some pavement surfing. Not fun.

But, to save $$$, I thought about small displacement bikes like 250cc. People have said those won't do well on the highway. (465) And they don't make many mid-level (350-500) bikes.

So, I guess I'm outta luck.

IronHorseman
05-26-2007, 08:29
Originally posted by FThorn
Good. :)

I've been looking at bikes to save fuel costs. But, as I watch my commute traffic, it scares the crap out of me. I've been hit by a car before on a bike, and did some pavement surfing. Not fun.

But, to save $$$, I thought about small displacement bikes like 250cc. People have said those won't do well on the highway. (465) And they don't make many mid-level (350-500) bikes.

So, I guess I'm outta luck.

I`ve ben in 3 car motorcycle collisions.

1979 hit by drunk driver in New Ross In , picked the bike up and rode it home

1985 hit by OLD woman Crawfordsville In , never dropped bike (AWASOME black marks on pavement) rode bike home

1993 hit by drunk drive in Okland city In , the bike was totaled I walked away and was back in the saddle 2 days later

2001 hit by drug impaired driver Indianapolis In fought the guy that hit me picked bike up and rode it home. Got in truck and drove myself to Methodist hospital where I had surgery to repair a broken left knee. Adreneline is a nasty thing.

Gump
05-27-2007, 10:29
I have a Yamaha 350 dual sport/ enduro that I dont ride on the road anymore because it lacks enough power to get out of the way quickly if needed. Latley though, I've been tempted to plate it and ride it to work since it gets 65+mpg!
Yesterday, I rode my cousin's GSXR1000 (it might be 1100, I'm not sure). My first time on a sport er, I mean race bike bike of a liter or more. It was too much for a father of three!! Like being shot out of a cannon! It'll do 91MPH in 1st gear! 170+HP! Top speed is :crazy: !
Somewhere between the 350 enduro and the GSXR would be about the right amount of performance for me to be comfortable on the road.
Gump

FThorn
05-27-2007, 15:36
Well, I would like to take the Kawasaki Ninja 250 out. Those things will do 120 MPH they say. I can't imagine that would be INSUFFICIENT on the highway.

I did talk with a Yamaha dealer/salesmen at Flat Out. He said he would not take their Yamaha GX 250 out. He said, they only go about 85 mph. I'm thinking "AIN'T THAT ENOUGH"???? :)

Pop Gunner
05-27-2007, 21:42
Also you should consider bike weight.
Going around 465 at times can be a challenge.
With big rigs zooming around at 60-65mph,you get pushed around.
I think a 250cc bike would be scary,I prefer my 400lb ZX10R Ninja.

biggl35
05-27-2007, 23:02
Originally posted by FThorn
Well, I would like to take the Kawasaki Ninja 250 out. Those things will do 120 MPH they say. I can't imagine that would be INSUFFICIENT on the highway.

I did talk with a Yamaha dealer/salesmen at Flat Out. He said he would not take their Yamaha GX 250 out. He said, they only go about 85 mph. I'm thinking "AIN'T THAT ENOUGH"???? :)

Flatout= :puking:

epsylum
05-28-2007, 20:22
Check out a Suzuki SV 650. Good, solid, fun, economical bike.

Also check out Dreyer's on W. Washington st.

Arps
05-29-2007, 07:05
Originally posted by epsylum
Check out a Suzuki SV 650. Good, solid, fun, economical bike.

Also check out Dreyer's on W. Washington st.

+1 on the SV650. Great bike, I wish I would have never sold mine.

FThorn
05-29-2007, 07:27
Why aren't there any bikes in the 300 - 500 range (anymore)?

epsylum
05-29-2007, 11:16
Originally posted by FThorn
Why aren't there any bikes in the 300 - 500 range (anymore)?

Basically because most people don't want a 300-500. If they sold, trust me, they would be churning them out.

Most people get a learner bike (which explains why the Ninja 250 is still around), then go out and get a full size like a 600 and up. Actually, I should say "some people" because there is still a large portion of people who feel like they can handle that 1300 Hayabusa or GSXR 1000 as their first bike. Most of them don't turn out too well (think of "Big Ben" except worse).

BTW also check out the Suzuki DRZ-400SM. It is a dual sport Suzuki DRZ-400 but with street tires and stiffer suspension. It goes fast enough to not let you get run over, but offers the fuel efficiency of a 400cc single and the handling of a supermoto bike (where they put street tires and such on dirtbikes and race them). Plus they aren't too expensive even new. But I do know for a fact Dreyer's has a used black one right now.

BTW if I were you, I would be checking out that SV650. ;)

dblagent
05-29-2007, 20:47
I have looked at but never ridden a SV 650. They seem to be a loved bike and I think the style and engine combo would be perfect for me, but I might be too big. I am 6' 2" or so and about 275 so I'm not exactly tiny and I'm not sure I'd fit it. Any idea on that front?

naffiner
05-30-2007, 05:49
There appears to be a 500cc Ninja also, the 500R.
~$5000, ~50mpg, ~390lb

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=160

epsylum
05-30-2007, 08:33
Originally posted by dblagent
I have looked at but never ridden a SV 650. They seem to be a loved bike and I think the style and engine combo would be perfect for me, but I might be too big. I am 6' 2" or so and about 275 so I'm not exactly tiny and I'm not sure I'd fit it. Any idea on that front?

He loves his and he isn't exactly tiny.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=702766