Moving to Grundy, could you please advise me on the area? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Grundy, could you please advise me on the area?

callahan318
05-24-2007, 08:44
I am going to be attending ASL in 2008. I was wondering if I could get some info on the area of Grundy and Buchanan County at large. It would be of a great help to know housing costs, how the people are, living expenses, is it gun friendly there, etc etc...

I am having a VERY hard time finding info on Grundy or Buchanan County, so I thought I would ask you folks.

-Callahan318

TScottW99
05-24-2007, 09:53
Buchanan County is your standard coal field area in south-west Virginia, West Virginia and Kentucky. Cost of housing should be low compared to other parts of Virginia. ( I have never lived there, just visited there a couple of times)

As to guns, everyone I know from Buchanan County owns guns, mostly for hunting. I do not believe you will have any problems there ;) (Actually the shooting at ASL several years ago was stopped by two students who ran to their vehicles to grab their guns)

For things to do, the mountains are beautiful. For larger stores and such you will have to head over to Tazwell County or Mercer County on the WV side.

Besides what little I know I have observed something while in the coal fields... The sun rises at 11:00 a.m. and sets about 3:00 p.m.

:supergrin:

Wolfgang
05-24-2007, 13:45
:rofl:

Wolfgang
05-24-2007, 13:46
Originally posted by TScottW99

Besides what little I know I have observed something while in the coal fields... The sun rises at 11:00 a.m. and sets about 3:00 p.m.

:supergrin:

I'm glad you explained that---I thought sunshine was piped or trucked into Grundy.

Fungunner
05-24-2007, 18:18
Religious - protestant based, depressed, coal-based economy. Much of what has already been said. Grundy is in the process of moving the whole town across the river.

It used to be said the only times the bathrooms at the courthouse get cleaned was when the river flooded.

When I was there a year or so ago, you could still order fast food without being bi-lingual.

Stay out of the way of the coal trucks and don't go slow in front of them, they're on a mission.

Oh yeah, and it's pronouced Buck-cannon county.

callahan318
05-24-2007, 20:33
Sunshine piped in?? So I take it that there is VERY little? IS this during the winter, or summer? OR Both?

Fungunner
05-25-2007, 02:41
Originally posted by callahan318
Sunshine piped in?? So I take it that there is VERY little? IS this during the winter, or summer? OR Both?

Perhaps he's referring to people who claim to live so far back up in the 'holler' that they have to pump the sunshine in and the moonshine out.

There are times, in the mornings, that clouds hang low in the mountains there, they slowly rise as things get heated up. Of course, when those coke ovens are running at full tilt, there could be a darker cloud over the place.

I forgot to add previously to avoid buying riverfront property, unless you plan on building on stilts.

lethal tupperwa
05-25-2007, 04:52
Originally posted by callahan318

It is at 12 noon in the middle of the summer!

iiibbb
05-25-2007, 08:02
http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=25468

Grundy is a town in Buchanan County.

It is the county seat.

The community was named for Felix Grundy

The latitude of Grundy is 37.277N. The longitude is -82.099W.
It is in the Eastern Standard time zone. Elevation is 1,060 feet.

The estimated population, in 2003, was 1,030.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Grundy-Virginia.html

TScottW99
05-25-2007, 11:15
Originally posted by Fungunner
Perhaps he's referring to people who claim to live so far back up in the 'holler' that they have to pump the sunshine in and the moonshine out.

:supergrin: Yeap! The mountains are so steep most people have built in the hollers. Leaving you about four hours of seeing the sun, if your lucky ;)

callahan318
05-25-2007, 11:24
What is a holler?

Are you all serious about the 4 hours of sunlight?

G30
05-25-2007, 14:44
That's countryspeak for a small valley in the woods.
when your in a deep holler it takes longer for the sun to rise
over the mountain and it goes down behind the mountain earlier.
For the most part mountain folk are good people that will
do anything to help you once they get to know you
just don't piss them off:supergrin:

Fungunner
05-25-2007, 15:57
When you're down in the mines, you don't worry about sunshine much.

There's plenty of light during the day, let's just say there is limited direct sunlight, depending on the time of day. Most everything is built between mountains, so as the sun meets the horizon on the east or west, the sun tends to disappear.

Holler - think hollow.

TScott99 aluded to Mercer Co, WV and Tazewell Co, VA. Closest 2 major shopping areas, and I guarantee you will get to know these two places, at least the names - Bluefield (Mercer) and Richlands (Tazewell).

TScottW99
05-25-2007, 16:43
All funning aside, the people there are good people and visiting the coal fields is good for anyone in my opion. My family came from the coal fields of Va, WV & KY and I grew up two counties over from Buchanan County.

There is a nice gun store inside the mall (yeap, you read that right) right up the road in Richlands. Richlands is a nice small town also, with a bit more to offer then Grundy for shopping and entertainment. (my roommate in college is from Pounding Mill which is beside Richlands)

If you like ATVs there is a huge ATV park now in McDowell County, WV which is not too far away. They placed the trails on reclaimed coal mining land.

The local T.V. station is WVVA .... http://www.wvva.com/

The big newspaper of the area is the Bluefield Daily Telegraph.... http://www.bdtonline.com/

If you like to hunt, you are allowed to kill elk in Virginia now that have crossed over from Kentucky during deer season. The coal field counties such as Buchanan hold some of these elk.

Smitty258
05-27-2007, 07:29
I used to go to Grundy once a week to deliver money to the banks there. I always thought it was a kinda depressing town. The old "main street" area with the historic buildings is completely abandoned and in the process of being demolished. From what I understand it's been flooded so many times they just gave up on it. Just across the river from there is an area where they blew a whole mountain in half for a Walmart of all things, which is sad if you ask me.

Most everything in the town is along one road that snakes between the mountains, so the jokes about sunlight are pretty much true. The sun has to clear the mountains before it gets into the town.

I'd imagine the area is quite gun friendly. Most of SWVA is.

I dunno how much this helped, but good luck!

Wolfgang
05-27-2007, 15:17
I think we r funnin' ya a bit here. It is in a good part of the world. The people are good and friendly. As has been said, don't make them mad at ya. They will feud with ya.

Move to Virginny. We'll leave tha lite on 4 ya!:banana:

Brooster40
05-31-2007, 03:50
I hear they have beautiful banjo music coming down out of the hollars and wafting out across the river....or so I've been told.:alex:

Fungunner
05-31-2007, 16:39
Originally posted by Brooster40
I hear they have beautiful banjo music coming down out of the hollars and wafting out across the river....or so I've been told.:alex:

I thought that was in Georgia

JRWnTN
06-12-2007, 18:08
I lived in Buchanan County until the early 1980's and still go back to visit family. ASL has definitely changed the local population.

It's a typical rural area where most folks are polite and friendly to newcomers. Just don't start a conversation with, "Where I come from, we do it this way...." and you'll get along fine.

When I lived there, nearly everyone carried a gun of some kind in their car. Too bad there aren't many formal ranges for shooting. If you ask around, you'll find someone with similar interests and find a place on private property.

I suggest you stop in at Darrell Cochran's gun store in Oakwood, on Hwy 460 about five miles from Grundy. It's an old fashioned gun store that's managed to hang on.