56k dial up question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 56k dial up question

Another Miller
05-25-2007, 10:46
Everytime someone tries calling my phone while Im on the net, it creates browsing problems and sometimes, I get kicked off.Is there a way to fix this using win 98.They get a busy signal and so keep trying which while im on the net,causes more problems.I dont want internet call waiting,Id like to add a program that gives them a ring instead of a busy signal so that they stop.

I have another unlisted phone line for regular calls,just some annoying sales people who call my computer line.Any ideas?

Washington,D.C.
05-25-2007, 11:08
If you don't have call waiting or call waiting is disabled I don't think the caller getting a busy signal should interfere with your connection.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275578

lens
05-25-2007, 23:06
Sounds like you have call waiting. You need to disable it for each time you dial out. There is a way to set that up in the dialing out directions. It's been so long since I've used dial-up (and I didn't have call waiting back then) that I can't give you any further specifics right now.

Another Miller
05-26-2007, 07:03
Used to have internet call waiting and call waiting but havent had it ina very long time.My wifes friend likes to call us on the computer number,probably because she is bored.She says she cant get through because of a busy signal and I tell her thats why we have another line,she does it anyways.oh well.I get alot of wrong numbers as well and hang up calls,in spite of getting an answering service to take the calls on the computer line when Im not surfing the net.

I didnt know if there was a way to set the computer line to ring like nobodys home instead of a busy signal.thanks.

Maybe theres something left of the call waiting that still is in my computer?anyway to know?

srhoades
05-26-2007, 10:05
It's been a long time but I think *70 before your dialup string will disable call waiting.

IndyGunFreak
05-26-2007, 10:33
Originally posted by srhoades
It's been a long time but I think *70 before your dialup string will disable call waiting.

I'm pretty sure you're right. If you have another line that family and friends can reach you on, and the PC's line only gets calls from Telemarketers, just disable Call waiting on it.

IGF

Washington,D.C.
05-26-2007, 10:46
You add the *70 or whatever is required in your area to the internet dial up number for your internet connection. It sounds like you don't have call waiting now if the caller is getting a busy signal but it sounds like you once had call waiting. if you have a call waiting modem you can do many things and stay connected. If the line is just for the PC and you think you have had call waiting disabled by the phone company on that line you might contact the phone company and see if they can sort out the line and service.

ETG31
05-26-2007, 11:01
Dial up? what is this Dial up you speak of. :supergrin: :tongueout: :wavey:

Another Miller
05-27-2007, 10:40
Yeah, I know,dial-up,blah.:supergrin: :supergrin:

Im way behind the times.

Thanks.