Power supply fan is failing and wailing! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Power supply fan is failing and wailing!

Mr. PC
05-26-2007, 14:54
LOL. My power supply has two fans, I guess they all do? Should I try to replace the noisy fan or just replace the entire power supply? Where can I buy one in person? Micro Center? Comp USA? Frys?

:)

Mr. PC
05-26-2007, 15:01
Take a look at this puppy.

UtahIrishman
05-26-2007, 15:03
Originally posted by Mr. PC
LOL. My power supply has two fans, I guess they all do? Should I try to replace the noisy fan or just replace the entire power supply? Where can I buy one in person? Micro? Comp USA?

Just replace the whole power supply. Even good ones are fairly inexpensive; less than $50. If you look around you can get a cheap one for less than $30.00. I'd recommend a decent one though.
CompUSA should have what you need.

Mr. PC
05-26-2007, 15:10
Good pic of failing fan, back of computer tower.

How do you remove that sucker? LOL

HAVOC
05-26-2007, 16:29

You gotta pull the PSU, break it open. You may or may not have to pull the powerboard out of the PSU chassis. The wires will be soldered to the powerboard, you'll need to unsolder/resolder or splice it in the middle some way or another. Some PSUs can be real PITAs to get back together. You could run the wires through the wire hole and plug it into a regular fan port on the mobo, or in a wire loom somewhere. You might need an extension to make it work.

That's an 80mm/8cm fan, probably 25mm thick, which is an industry standard size. Any place that caters to builders at all will have them.

So I gather the PC in Mr. PC is NOT shor for personal computer?

It's not a terrible problem to solve, but if you're not handy, it'll probably give you issues.

IndyGunFreak
05-26-2007, 16:38
I can't tell 100% by his 1st pic, but it looks like his Power supply should slide right above the CPU w/o pulling it. I could be wrong though. As for Power Supply, if you get anything but Antec, you'll be begging to do this again.

It may require some maneuvering, but very rarely have I had to remove something to get a Power Supply out. As for How to remove it... Unplug everything and Remove the blackened screws. I'm guessing it will come out pretty easy, unless you have a really cramped case.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/IndyGunFreak/failingfanonbackofpowersupply.jpg

IGF

Patrick Graham
05-27-2007, 18:55
Are you sure the fan is dying..??.. or will a good cleaning fix it..??..

lens
05-27-2007, 20:19
If it is noisy, it's usually the bearings in the fan that are shot.

Best to replace the entire power supply. Good Antec (HIGHLY recommended) power supplies are not expensive and most are much quieter than standard power supplies.

Grimsi
05-27-2007, 23:51
Originally posted by lens
If it is noisy, it's usually the bearings in the fan that are shot.

Best to replace the entire power supply. Good Antec (HIGHLY recommended) power supplies are not expensive and most are much quieter than standard power supplies.

Soooo, if I get a flat tire I should buy a new car?

If my son gets a cavity I should ditch him and adopt a new one?

If my house has a single shutter with pealing paint I should burn it down and buy a new one?

If my Glock has a misfire I should toss it in the trash and buy
a CZ-75 (highly recomended) ?

Ect.

Sheesh.

O.P. : just replace the fan, should take 20 minuts and you don't have to solder, use wire nuts.

Edit to add: if you do just replace it, offer the old one up here, I for one recycle.

Blitzer
05-28-2007, 00:07

Remove the screws marked in yellow and be sure to hook everything back up the way you found it.

A new power supply can cost from $50.00 - $150.00 for the same wattage. It depends on the quality.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/998/failingfanonbackofpowerpc5.jpg

Mr. PC
05-28-2007, 03:10
Power Supply location from inside computer.

Great replies in this thread. I love you all.

So I gather the PC in Mr. PC is NOT short for personal computer?

Havoc, Mr. PC = Mr. Politically Correct.

Which is the last thing I am. LOL

IndyGunFreak
05-28-2007, 05:26
I think that power supply will come out fine w/o pulling the motherboard or CPU. Just remember, Finesse. Don't try to ape it out of there.

This may seem pretty obvious, but make sure the case is on its side. Otherwise when you remove the screws, the PS will go crashing into your motherboard and its components. Strange, most cases have some sort of cage or rails that the PS slides on. You might, I just can't see them in your pics.

Follow all the power supply cables, make sure they are unplugged, and not wire tied to something, etc. The motherboard cable will have a little tab on the adapter that has to be pushed to remove the plug.

Remove screws referenced by me and Blitzen....

Slide it Straight out(towards the DVD/CD drive). That looks like its gonna be a pretty tight fit. If that fan is hitting the optical drive before you can freely pull out the PS, loosen the screws on the optical drive, and slide it forward, that should give you plenty of clearance. If you have to slide the optical drive forward, watch the grey 4pin audio cable. Those can be annoyingly short.

Thats really it, Insert New PS, Secure with Screws, plug everything in, and fire it up. Take your time and pay attention...

IGF

lens
05-28-2007, 09:41
I used to work with power supply designers at the late DEC and in fact ran a test lab for Product Safety.

There are a LOT of cheap, junk power supplies out there. These are usually the ones that fail with screaming fans, etc.

Good power supplies (Antec 350W units usually go for $30-50, sometimes after rebates) use ball-bearing fans that will outlast your PC's useful life.

It's just not worth monkeying with the internals of a cheap power supply to save that $20-30 instead of replacing the entire power supply with a high quality, quiet one.

I liken it to replacing a worn-out tire rather than retreading a worn out tire. Cheap insurance vs. trying to "cheap out"!