Brass ejecting erratically - any Armorers near Fairfax? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brass ejecting erratically - any Armorers near Fairfax?

KONY
05-26-2007, 15:35
Hi fellas,

Just got back from the range with G19. As usual, the pistol keeps chucking brass right into my forehead. :sad: Can anybody help me fix this?

Scott30
05-26-2007, 22:03
Sounds like limp wristing. Tighten your grip.

bulwaagh
05-26-2007, 23:15
Or underpowered ammunition.

You can probably inspect it yourself by checking out your extractor for chips or anything other than a perfect edge.

KONY
05-26-2007, 23:41
My grip and/or ammo could be possible culprits but I never had this happen with any of my other pistols.

1*45
05-27-2007, 04:25
Its possible that extractor chipped or trash is built up as stated above. Whats the round count, any modifications to your G19?
You should take down the top end and inspect the extractor edge, clean everything out, check springs/plungers. If not sure about it, let me know and will meet you in Faifax area some time next week and help you out. Other is to drop by Va Arms and have the guys check it out for you.
Cheers, Floyd

KONY
05-27-2007, 10:06
Originally posted by 1*45
Its possible that extractor chipped or trash is built up as stated above. Whats the round count, any modifications to your G19?
You should take down the top end and inspect the extractor edge, clean everything out, check springs/plungers. If not sure about it, let me know and will meet you in Faifax area some time next week and help you out. Other is to drop by Va Arms and have the guys check it out for you.
Cheers, Floyd

Thanks for the help, Floyd! I will give the extractor and ejector a closer look. Just FYI, I bought this pistol used and I know it had a lighter trigger installed before but it was brought back to stock by the original owner. Perhaps, it was not put back together within spec. I was planning on heading over to VA Arms on Saturday but if you are available anytime before that and it won't be too much trouble, I would welcome your help. I am fairly close to the NRA range.

Arc Angel
05-27-2007, 10:41
:) In addition to what's already been suggested: Call Glock, give them the serial number, and see if your pistol is a candidate for the famous, '6 part upgrade'.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html

If nothing else I'd, also, suggest replacing the SLB and depressor plunger spring. A new recoil spring might help, too. ;)

KONY
05-27-2007, 11:27
Originally posted by Arc Angel
:) In addition to what's already been suggested: Call Glock, give them the serial number, and see if your pistol is a candidate for the famous, '6 part upgrade'.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html

If nothing else I'd, also, suggest replacing the SLB and depressor plunger spring. A new recoil spring might help, too. ;)

Isn't this upgrade for older Glocks? Mine is a 3rd-gen (~late 2005) model.

Arc Angel
05-27-2007, 11:42
:) Yes, it is. Nevertheless I have a late 2003, 3rd generation, G-21 that came with the old style SLB installed. When you have a quirky ejection problem it's always a good idea to check the extractor, and change the DP spring and SLB.

If it were my pistol, I would change the recoil spring, too.

KONY
05-27-2007, 12:44
:) Yes, it is. Nevertheless I have a late 2003, 3rd generation, G-21 that came with the old style SLB installed. When you have a quirky ejection problem it's always a good idea to check the extractor, and change the DP spring and SLB.

If it were my pistol, I would change the recoil spring, too.

Ah, I see. Well, I just finished cleaning it and I was examining the metal plate area right next to the ejector housing and it seems to have some give so I pushed down on it and it seemed to snap into place. Wonder it this was what was wrong. :headscratch: :dunno:

Arc Angel
05-27-2007, 22:18
:supergrin: Ha! I was going to tell you to take a look at the ejector and the trigger housing unit; but, I thought I'd already said enough. I take it the tip of the ejector is OK; and, your #3 pin (rear of frame) is in place? Anyway, that's about all there is to checkout.

A stronger recoil spring might change the ejection angle, too. Hope you're able to figure it out. :)

KONY
05-27-2007, 22:36
:supergrin: Ha! I was going to tell you to take a look at the ejector and the trigger housing unit; but, I thought I'd already said enough. I take it the tip of the ejector is OK; and, your #3 pin (rear of frame) is in place? Anyway, that's about all there is to checkout.

Honestly, I am not sure how the ejector is "supposed" to look like. Moreover, I am not sure what the #3 pin is either. With that said, everything seems "normal" to my untrained eye. Since I bought this used, I am not sure of the entire scope of mods done besides the 3.5 lb connecter and whether or not the pistol was buggered in the process. Another possibility is that the pistol had not been shot enough with full-powered ammo so it might still be in a sort of "break-in" period, despite being almost 2 years old.

1*45
05-28-2007, 04:15
Hi Kony,
Pass me an email and will try to hook up with you at NRA next Sat or so if you need the assist. (lorew@brgnet.com)
Floyd

KONY
05-28-2007, 08:59
Originally posted by 1*45
Hi Kony,
Pass me an email and will try to hook up with you at NRA next Sat or so if you need the assist. (lorew@brgnet.com)
Floyd

Floyd,

Dropped you an email. Thanks for helping! :thumbsup:

KONY
06-09-2007, 19:19
Update on my G19. Two weeks ago, 1*45 agreed to look over my pistol. While it was cruddy (which 1*45 cleaned up), it seemed to be ok mechanically. This confirmed that my grip was more to blame. Thus, I did some dry-firing at home and concentrated on using a "crush grip" with the pistol. Went to the range last week and had just a few cases to my head. However, I kept dry-firing and went back today. This time, no cases to my head! A couple came close but I think my grip practice is paying off. Not only that, my accuracy was way better! I think this explains why I've always shot better with revolvers. I am used to letting the recoil push the gun up, which does not bode well when shooting Glocks.