New DEP recruit. Any advice for me? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New DEP recruit. Any advice for me?

Smitty53
05-28-2007, 01:37
As the title says, I DEP'ed in about a month ago. And I am wondering if anyone has any advice for a soon to be sailor. I ship out for boot camp on September 14th. I signed up to be an AV for 4 years.

goldshellback
05-31-2007, 03:22
Howdy smitty53.....a little about myself first...

I joined back in '92 while taking a semester off from college.....here I am 15 yrs later.....go figure.

I'm a submarine radioman so I can't tell ya too much about your chosen rate. I've done 4 diffrent boats and currently on my 2nd shore duty tour.

As for boot camp....just go with it, tolarate it, and get outta there without opening your mouth too often. Boot camp is just that....basic training and to see if you can follow orders/direction.

From there it's on to "A" school. DO NOT get a stupid attack and enjoy the sudden change from boot camp to the 'freedom' of a school enviroment. I'm am instructor presently and I see WAY to much of this behavior. Newbies spending money like they have A "high paying " job. Drinking themselves into Captians Mast, wheather underage or not, because they could/can and got caught/into trouble. It's school, learn all you can while enjoying yourself in a responsabily fun manner.

Ultimately you'll get to the fleet....your first boat. Get qualified your rate, your boat, and as many watchstations as you can. You will be seen as a hot runner and a "go to" sailor. Helps with evals, promotions, and the chiefs, higher up's, etc. will be MUCH more willing to help you/back you up when you REALLY need it.

It really is a fun job but it's work too, LOTS of it! Keep your attitude and morals high,... staying outta trouble will be easy then.....for no other reason that you wouldn't want to be a liberty risk when you pull into one of those COOL foregin ports!!!

Welcome Aboard Shipmate! Keep us up to date prior to and after boot camp. Post here or feel free to contact me via GT message if you have a question and don't want a recruiter's answer.

Stay Safe....Goldie

skyboss_4evr
05-31-2007, 13:52
Originally posted by goldshellback
Howdy smitty53.....a little about myself first...

I joined back in '92 while taking a semester off from college.....here I am 15 yrs later.....go figure.

I'm a submarine radioman so I can't tell ya too much about your chosen rate. I've done 4 diffrent boats and currently on my 2nd shore duty tour.

As for boot camp....just go with it, tolarate it, and get outta there without opening your mouth too often. Boot camp is just that....basic training and to see if you can follow orders/direction.

From there it's on to "A" school. DO NOT get a stupid attack and enjoy the sudden change from boot camp to the 'freedom' of a school enviroment. I'm am instructor presently and I see WAY to much of this behavior. Newbies spending money like they have A "high paying " job. Drinking themselves into Captians Mast, wheather underage or not, because they could/can and got caught/into trouble. It's school, learn all you can while enjoying yourself in a responsabily fun manner.

Ultimately you'll get to the fleet....your first boat. Get qualified your rate, your boat, and as many watchstations as you can. You will be seen as a hot runner and a "go to" sailor. Helps with evals, promotions, and the chiefs, higher up's, etc. will be MUCH more willing to help you/back you up when you REALLY need it.

It really is a fun job but it's work too, LOTS of it! Keep your attitude and morals high,... staying outta trouble will be easy then.....for no other reason that you wouldn't want to be a liberty risk when you pull into one of those COOL foregin ports!!!

Welcome Aboard Shipmate! Keep us up to date prior to and after boot camp. Post here or feel free to contact me via GT message if you have a question and don't want a recruiter's answer.

Stay Safe....Goldie

OUTSTANDING ADVICE!!

Smitty53
05-31-2007, 18:09
Thanks for the advice!

TexasGlock23
06-02-2007, 13:28
Never Again Volunteer Yourself!

I hope you like cleaning. You will be a JM, janitor's mate most of the time!

Boot camp was a joke, I graduated April, 13th of this year. just pay attention and stay clean. If I were you I would try for the yeomen or master at arms position in the division. I was the MA. It was fun at times and ****ty at others. I don't know anything about your rate, I am an EN(SNIPES RULE ALL), and Chicago sucks!

When you graduate, it gets harder. There are so many ways to get sent to Captain's Mast. don't be that idiot! We have so many idiot's here getting put on restriction and money taking away from them. Stay smart and you will come out on top.

Try to enjoy bootcamp, it really was a joke if you asked me. The damn PT was like kindergarten PE. Do not count the days and have your loved ones send you plenty of mail, that helped out alot with me. Iron your uniforms, pay attention to detail, the will beat that into you.

OH! and get your PQS done so that you can make E-2, I was dumb and didn't. If you get a good dividional staff or ship staff position you can get advanced again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can come out an E3, then 6 months later, BAM your a third class.

Good luck and thanks for joining. You'll do great!

Oh, and never forget that we run the ship, engineers rule!:animlol:

squidville_1975
06-08-2007, 18:14
For my fellow canoe club members: :rofl: :laughabove: :supergrin:

http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=navy1mj1.jpg

TexasGlock23
06-09-2007, 11:54
Yeah our instructors had that and were passing it around in class the other day:animlol:

Doc_Fuller
06-10-2007, 18:04
All I can say is welcome aboard. I canít tell you much about your rate, because most of my time I have been with the Marines. As stated above boot camp is a joke, keep your mouth shut, do what youíre told, and try to show a tiny bit of initiative and it will go quick. Good luck,
-Doc

Hillikus
06-15-2007, 06:03
Well as everyone else said welcome aboard and they are correct about boot camp. I just tried to look up the last testing results for your rate, which I've never heard of, and there is no "AV" listed on the exam results. Are you sure that is what you will be? Well if you want any more info just shoot me a message and I'll see what I can do.

Edited to add: Also I believe that now when you're in "A" school they will give the entire class a listing of first duty stations i.e. if there are 25 students they'll bring in 25-30 different places that they could go and the students pick which orders they want by their ranking in the class so I'd suggest being number 1 if at all possible. Also some schools will give automatic E4 to the #1 in the class. When I was in they did the E4 thing but we didn't get to pick our orders. Of course I was at A school during 9/11.

TexasGlock23
06-15-2007, 15:05
There is still a top grad rank increase, and you get a "wish list", most get the station they want, but some don't

brownmajik
06-16-2007, 21:10
PT with the SWCC, Diver, EOD, SEAL guys, if you can. Much more fun! Also, Great Lakes in Winter sucks....hard. Dunno what AV's spend their time doing, but I promise it isn't as fun as sneakin' thru the mud and blowing the crap out of things for a living. Try to go to the "Brownwater / Gator Navy" side as fast as you can! Dunno how things are in Boot these days, as I went thru in '96, but there it is!

TexasGlock23
06-16-2007, 22:41
I agree, I was EOD, got married and decided it wasn't for me(couldn't swim that damn pool in the time alloted) so I changed to DC, but got EN in bootcamp. I lost $30k bonus as well. But the work outs were great. That will get you in shape for bootcamp. The first PFA is hard there. The climate change was hard for me, I failed the first PFA, and passed the second and third. I ran mile 1.5 is 11:15 back at home(smoker and chunky) and ran it in like 15 minuted the first time. Second I got 12:51 and last was 11:49, came to A school and ran one in 11:09!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana:

Now that I smoke again and drink alot, I couldn't run it that fast. Just run alot now, do some sit ups and push ups, do your PQA and get E2(written in your contract or your SOL-seen it happen a crap load) read everything before signing. And get ready to clean most of your day.

squidville_1975
06-18-2007, 19:01
Originally posted by TexasGlock23

Boot camp was a joke, I graduated April, 13th of this year. just pay attention and stay clean. If I were you I would try for the yeomen or master at arms position in the division. I was the MA. It was fun at times and ****ty at others. I don't know anything about your rate, I am an EN(SNIPES RULE ALL), and Chicago sucks!

When you graduate, it gets harder. There are so many ways to get sent to Captain's Mast. don't be that idiot! We have so many idiot's here getting put on restriction and money taking away from them. Stay smart and you will come out on top.

Try to enjoy bootcamp, it really was a joke if you asked me. The damn PT was like kindergarten PE. Do not count the days and have your loved ones send you plenty of mail, that helped out alot with me. Iron your uniforms, pay attention to detail, the will beat that into you.

OH! and get your PQS done so that you can make E-2, I was dumb and didn't. If you get a good dividional staff or ship staff position you can get advanced again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can come out an E3, then 6 months later, BAM your a third class.

Good luck and thanks for joining. You'll do great!

Oh, and never forget that we run the ship, engineers rule!:animlol: And how much time do you have on the pond right now, Mr. Ruler? :laughabove:

TexasGlock23
06-19-2007, 00:51
Not very long, but the statement still stands, I come from a long line of Engineers. HT's, BT's, EM's, EN's and one AM(not an engineer, but close enough)

barney-5-0
06-28-2007, 12:06
I retired as a DCC(SW) last September, I am not sure what an AV is either, I heard a lot of talk about the Navy doing away with "a" schools and streamlining a lot of training. Most of the good training I received was OJT in the fleet. Lots of good poop to learn on your ship. There is a reason that God gave you 2 ears and only one mouth. Think about that while you are in boot camp and out in the fleet.

Fox
06-30-2007, 23:20
Ex-Navy Corpsman here.

My advise is that you get in shape before you ship out for basic training. You want to be able to run two miles. Get strong with the push-ups and sit-ups.

When in A-school, focus on getting good grades.

BTW, where you going to boot camp? I went to Great Lakes RTC and Great Lakes Naval Hospital Corps School. This was back in '89.

TexasGlock23
06-30-2007, 23:25
Still here in Great Mistakes FOX. I should be graduating school this comming week. Then out to the sea I go.

Fox
06-30-2007, 23:32
Still here in Great Mistakes FOX. I should be graduating school this comming week. Then out to the sea I go.

Very good!

Do they still drill with M1 rifles at RTC?

TexasGlock23
07-02-2007, 20:00
:laughabove:

NO! Boot was LAME:rofl: I went in thinking the worst and came out with confusion.

KIDCOP
07-03-2007, 17:56
Some good advise so far. I believe AV's work on aircraft electronic's.

Keep your nose clean, think with the head on your shoulders, not the little one.

Don't be afraid to talk to your seniors. Even the crusty old salts put their pants on one leg at a time.

Hard working guys get away with a heck of a lot more than those who don't know how to work. It matters not what you happen to be doing at the tme, TAD, mess cooking, that sort of thing. You will have your turn in the barrel, everyone does. But it will end. Always be on time and ready to go to work. Having the rep with your superviors as being a team player (read hard worker) and you do forget something or did something bad is sometimes over looked once or twice. Being a smart *** lazy fool, forget/do something and the hammer falls, Bam! out the Navy you go.

Never ask WHY? Nothing pissed me off more than some snot nose asking me why every stinking time I asked for something to be done. Do it first with out question and then ask why if you have too. Sometimes the big picture is not always evident to you.

Don't brown nose.....everyone hates those guys. Hard work and the desire to know your craft gets you the good things. Who do you think they would send out of the shop TAD? A hard worker who does what is asked or the guy who is just there to get a pay check? Who do you think they are going to send out on a good deal? The hard worker or the lazy ***?

dox1842
07-04-2007, 10:40
Some good advise so far. I believe AV's work on aircraft electronic's.
Actually if im not mistaken its AE'S that work on electronics on aircraft.
Congrats texas glock on the graduation, i recently graduated from NATTC Pensacola about a month ago for AD a school

TexasGlock23
07-04-2007, 14:40
I haven't graduated yet. I take my final test this Friday. Thanks

rhikdavis
07-04-2007, 15:08
Not allergic to saltpeter are ya?

When you get to your boat, don't forget to go down to engineering and ask for a BT Punch....

You'll probably stand alot of mail buoy watches as well...check with the signalmen on that.

Good luck, and thanks for serving!

rhikdavis
07-04-2007, 15:10

It builds character.

KIDCOP
07-04-2007, 15:29
Originally posted by dox1842
Actually if im not mistaken its AE'S that work on electronics on aircraft.

OK, Trons are Trons.......I believe "AV" replaced AT, AQ, etc. who worked on electronic boxes. AV's should be 2 wire guys with the AE's only having 1 wire.

tedg-23
07-04-2007, 15:46
Boot Camp- Like it`s been said, do what your told!!!! If they tell you to do 25 pushups and count off on every 3rd one don`t be the dork that says "25".

The Fleet- I hated the Navy but I liked my rate (Machinist Mate) and worked hard and did my best. I did get in trouble. My chief and my division officer went to bat for me and saved me from a dishonorable discharge. I think about them all the time and have become a better person for myself and my kids. Respect,Respect,Respect for yourself and those around you that deserve it!!!!!!

Tedg-23 USS AYLWIN FF-1081
88-92

mlanush
07-05-2007, 12:01
really not much I can add, keep your mouth shut in boot camp do what they want you to do and it will be easy.. I thought boot camp was a joke, I went through harder workouts in 2-days, but it does get you used to the military life...

I was on a tin-can Destroyer (DD-985 USS Cushing 90-92) I was a Boatswain Mate and loved it, then i was on a Gator freightor (LHD-2 USS Essex)after I went to my "A" scholl DP which i think now is "IS" didnt like it as much but did what I had to do........

I did do temp duty as a Master at Arms and that was great duty, I guess I was not cut out to be a computer operator....

Yeah you want to make sure you request BT,HT punch, thats some good stuff, tasty !!!!...

Talk about bring back memories mail bouy watch that is a great,.. i would tell a great story about one but dont want to spoil it for the "Boot"
Good luck

Oh btw I went to boot camp in San Diego, ( i know a few yrs later they closed it down) we used to call it "Summer Camp"

TexasGlock23
07-05-2007, 17:25
I heard about that mail bouy watch...

quaviet
07-06-2007, 03:52
When you go to basic, keep your ears open and your mouth shut except when spoken to by a superior. Everything is Yes Sir, No Sir and I don't know sir. If you give the I don't know sir answer be prepared to give them twenty (push ups). Half way through basic I had never been so fit in my life. Your sheets will have "catch edges" this is where the sheet is sewed back at the ends. The sewed up part always goes down. Your T shirt has a catch edge because if is folded and sewn around the neck area. The catch edge goes near your body. When you tie your shoes you lace from left side down and right side up and the bottom lace goes beneath the shoe string holes. Memorize your SSN, the CNO's name, your basic training Captains name and your enlistment date to mention a few. The first four weeks are the hardest and then there is service week where you work in the galley. The last weeks go pretty easy. The proudest day of my life was when I graduated and got the heck out of there and on leave. Good Luck!

TexasGlock23
07-06-2007, 15:48
There is no longer a "service week" too many people got caught screwing! Staff and recruits...know your 11 general orders before you go. Get your PQS signed off and make sure your recruiter has everything in place before you leave. Several people were screwed on advancement to E2 or E3 my recruiters. I was screwed out of 4 weeks of married pay and seperation etc.

TexasGlock23
07-06-2007, 15:49
know your RANK AND RECOGNITION as well. **** that was hard to learn the way they made you! Do yourself a huge freaking favor and know that ****:thumbsup:

quaviet
07-07-2007, 03:57
Two tidbits of sorely learned knowledge. When you get on board ship and are at sea in a foreign area. Someone may come tell you about a strange animal that was captured under a bucket on the deck. That animal will be called a "sea bat". I would be wary of making closer inspection of this animal.

You may have a chance to go over the equator. You may be feeling your oats but do not do as I did on the night before making the crossing and giving the shellback meeting a good hosing down with a fire hose.:rofl:

goldshellback
07-07-2007, 07:33
You may have a chance to go over the equator. You may be feeling your oats but do not do as I did on the night before making the crossing and giving the shellback meeting a good hosing down with a fire hose.:rofl:

Now that's funny right there! :laughabove:

Smitty23.......havn't heard from ya.....you ready to go?

TexasGlock23
07-07-2007, 10:07
I am being told that we now have to be politically correct with everything and that is no longer done! I saw pics from an old friend of my mothers who went through that ceremony, they took pics and small annotations and added those to the cruise book. Ships looked like there was much more fun back then...

quaviet
07-08-2007, 02:55
TexasGlock23, That was before satelite TV and WAVES aboard ship. We had to make our own amusements.

One day I was sitting in my work center and a new striker BM knocked on my open door. The work center was at the top area of the ship. I asked what he wanted and he said that he had been sent down to main control for relative bearing grease but they were out and sent him up to me. I told him that I had used our last on a PM and said that the forward fire room had a secret stash. He did not know where that was so I gave him directions. Next time I saw him he was laughing. I think he got sent all over the ship.:rofl:

When I first went on ship we had a cranky CWO-4. I asked him, "When did you join the Navy?" He said, "I was in the Navy before Jesus Christ was a mess cook."

TexasGlock23
07-08-2007, 11:13
:laughabove: :animlol:

militantzero
07-19-2007, 18:14
You'll be going to Pensacola after boot camp for school correct? The first day of boot camp is by far the hardest out of all of it.But it's just like anything else,it's what you make it.I'm active duty EOD,second class, in San Diego right now,joined just before September 11th,and have done 4 tours in the sand box so far.Also got my Golden Dragon shellback and regular shellback.Don't be the guy that doesn't participate in the ceremony when you get to the fleet.Like these guys said,when you in boot camp and fresh out of boot into A school,the 2 main things you can do are keep a flawless uniform and kick ass in school.That will be your job during that time.You do those simple things and it will make you shine.
When you get to the fleet,or squadron in your case,the absolute first thing on your mind should be knocking out qualifications.Get qualified as high or higher than your supervisors.And know your job.Never stop learning,EVER.If you take it seriously and don't get dragged down by all the dumb ***** and negative attitudes of guys you work with,you will kick ass.It will happen.

But anyways,good luck and welcome to the Nav.

quaviet
07-21-2007, 05:18
militantzero, I remember basic training in San Diego in early 1970. The first day of boot camp you learn to keep your mouth shut and your ears open but other than that I remember getting about 2 or 3 hours of sleep that night.

The first four weeks were at an area called squirrel island. During the last week at squirrel island there was a "hellday", the whole week was basically a hell week but it was the worst. My greatest punishment(other than being slapped around)was picking up one end of a bunk with another guy picking up the other end and running in place to Georgia. It took forever to get to Georgia and I was relieved to hear that we had finally arrived. Then, much to my remorse, I found out that we had to run back. I was never a good runner but amazed myself with how far I could run.

Another trick they would do at squirrel island was during rifle exercises. While standing at parade rest your piece had to be centered on the vertical line down your body and especially your face. If it was not the Company Commander would hit the piece toward you real fast and you had to dodge or be rammed in the face. This happened to me but a year or two before my friends would box out in the barn and I learned to duck.

We had several bad recruits in the company. One of them did not like running around the grinder and hid in a dempsy dumpster. His fate was terrible and I learned a lot from it.:)

He got sent to company 4050, a fate worse than death to me. 4050 was a special company outside the rules and regulations of regular boot camp. I felt pity for them.

exprt9
08-04-2007, 01:52
Originally posted by militantzero
You'll be going to Pensacola after boot camp for school correct? The first day of boot camp is by far the hardest out of all of it.But it's just like anything else,it's what you make it.I'm active duty EOD,second class, in San Diego right now,joined just before September 11th,and have done 4 tours in the sand box so far.Also got my Golden Dragon shellback and regular shellback.Don't be the guy that doesn't participate in the ceremony when you get to the fleet.Like these guys said,when you in boot camp and fresh out of boot into A school,the 2 main things you can do are keep a flawless uniform and kick ass in school.That will be your job during that time.You do those simple things and it will make you shine.
When you get to the fleet,or squadron in your case,the absolute first thing on your mind should be knocking out qualifications.Get qualified as high or higher than your supervisors.And know your job.Never stop learning,EVER.If you take it seriously and don't get dragged down by all the dumb ***** and negative attitudes of guys you work with,you will kick ass.It will happen.

But anyways,good luck and welcome to the Nav.

By far the best advice I've read so far, BZ militantzero! Now for smitty23, the US Navy is what you make of it! If you realize that the Navy is not for you, do the best you can in everything that you do while you are in. You will find out that time will go by faster, have fun and after your contract is over get out and you can tell everybody back home all the accomplishments and accolades you received while you were in. It's better that way! Instead, of telling them how many times you got busted, got placed on restriction, done EMI, etc. I don't mean to brag but I work for a company right now making 6 figures a year. What made me marketable? My Navy experience! I was not even in Engineering! I was a Deck Ape!

If anyone asks "What have you done worthwhile for your country?" You can proudly say..."I served in the United States Navy!" John F. Kennedy

vdeleon
08-05-2007, 12:18
Originally posted by Smitty53
As the title says, I DEP'ed in about a month ago. And I am wondering if anyone has any advice for a soon to be sailor. I ship out for boot camp on September 14th. I signed up to be an AV for 4 years.

Welcome Aboard !!! The best thing I ever did was join back in 1990. Waiting to retire now and NO REGRETS! Just like to echo what my shipmates say's...Keep your nose clean, follow directions, and keep a good sense of humor about the whole bootcamp thing and you'll reflect back that it was not that hard. Make an early decision whether you're a lifer or not, that will keep your prospective easy to maintain.

Goodluck!!
SK1 D

quaviet
08-07-2007, 04:18
Another bit of advise, when you get on board ship and the area around the ships store is clogged up with people and someone says "Make a hole for the Captain". If you get a yearning to have some amusement, then avoid eye contact and stick you foot out to trip him. When he trips and nobody is looking at him then you will not be discovered.:rofl:

I have a naster story to tell about the phantom ****ter. I was accused of the crime but it was not me and the culpret was never discovered. The phantom ****ter was very fast and elusive. He could lay a pile in a dark area of officers country with the expected results. The red lights were on and it was hard to see. He struck twice on the bridge and nobody ever found out who the remarkable idiot was. I was exonerated when he struck while I was under surveilence.

squidville_1975
08-07-2007, 22:33
Originally posted by exprt9
By far the best advice I've read so far, BZ militantzero! Now for smitty23, the US Navy is what you make of it! If you realize that the Navy is not for you, do the best you can in everything that you do while you are in. You will find out that time will go by faster, have fun and after your contract is over get out and you can tell everybody back home all the accomplishments and accolades you received while you were in. It's better that way! Instead, of telling them how many times you got busted, got placed on restriction, done EMI, etc. I don't mean to brag but I work for a company right now making 6 figures a year. What made me marketable? My Navy experience! I was not even in Engineering! I was a Deck Ape!

If anyone asks "What have you done worthwhile for your country?" You can proudly say..."I served in the United States Navy!" John F. Kennedy Hey Boats, please check your PM. Thanks.

FM12
08-14-2007, 22:29
You'll always have more liberty than money. There will always be ladies looking for you to buy drinks for them. Hope you dont end up with mess-cook duty. Never volunteer, never. Water hammers come in only 2 sizes, not 3, and some will try to trick you about this.

As for physical training before you go: Run, swim, repeat. Learn to love jumping jacks. Learn your general orders.

Have a BIG time after boot camp. Welcome aboard!! FM12 (former TM3(SS) 1971-1975