1st time buying needing advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1st time buying needing advice

Slacker
05-29-2007, 21:48
I have read some of the advice that others have gotten on here and would like to ask a question of my own. I am interested in buying my first motorcycle and have a couple in mind but dont know if they would be to much for me for a beginners bike. I am quiet partial to Hondas and am considering either a Shadow or a Magna. I am leaning towards the Magna because of the engine it has. Before I purchase one i will take the safety class. Oh, guess a little personal info. on me would help. Im 6' and weigh 215lbs. I have also considered either a Rebel or Nighthawk but feel I would quickly outgrow them. I am open to other makes and will definitely buy used.

NotAMonte86
05-29-2007, 22:46
The Shadow has been known as a good beginner's bike. Out of the 750's, I prefer the look of the Spirit.

The Magna is very iffy as a beginner's bike. Although I must admit, that was the first cruiser that caught my eye. What a looker.

If you like the Honda Shadows, check out the Yamaha V-Star 650's as well. Very nice beginner's bike with less maintenance (air-cooled, shaft drive). But the main thing to remember is... it is your first bike, but it won't be your last. So don't overdo it. If you look around, you can buy a nice used starter bike for a good deal and when you are ready to move up, break even or make a little but of money on the sale.

Good luck!

fnfalman
05-30-2007, 09:43
Originally posted by Slacker
I have also considered either a Rebel or Nighthawk but feel I would quickly outgrow them. I am open to other makes and will definitely buy used.

When you outgrow a bike's capability, you can always trade up. It's a lot rougher trying to regrow new skin or remend broken bones.

That's my two cents. You know what needs to be done, now it's up to you to see whether or not you'll let vanity and pride take over common sense.

FoxMustang
05-30-2007, 12:19
I'm no expert, but a friend of mine has a Magna, and it seems like a lot of bike to handle. I wouldn't want to start on something that heavy or powerful. As a relatively new rider myself, I can say it doesn't take much power to blow your hair back, so don't be concerned about big power right out of the gate. My "slow" 500cc Suzuki is almost as fast as my five-liter Mustang. And I'm about your height and weight, too.

2cats
05-30-2007, 13:03
Originally posted by fnfalman
When you outgrow a bike's capability, you can always trade up. It's a lot rougher trying to regrow new skin or remend broken bones.

That's my two cents. You know what needs to be done, now it's up to you to see whether or not you'll let vanity and pride take over common sense.

Well I guess the thread should be locked now.

lukepennell
06-01-2007, 14:56
I recently bought my first bike and have never ridden a bike until about a month or so ago.

I got a Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500, and it's alot of bike.

BUT I took a few things into consideration when purchasing this bike.

1. I'm a big guy (6' 260lbs) so a small bike would wear harder
2. I bought a like new bike for about $4k less than a new bike with half the power.
3. I don't have lots of expendable cash on hand, so buying another bike in a year when I want something bigger isn't an option.

Whatever you choose, you will have fun. A 750cc bike isn't a bad bike. You're still on two wheels w/o peddaling. :rofl:

Slacker
06-01-2007, 15:52
I just purchased a 1995 Honda Magna. Beautiful bike. I'll post some pics soon. Thanks for all the replys.

fnfalman
06-04-2007, 09:43
Originally posted by Slacker
I just purchased a 1995 Honda Magna. Beautiful bike. I'll post some pics soon. Thanks for all the replys.

Congratulations! V-Four Powah!

Slacker
06-07-2007, 07:25
Here she is. Please excuse the mess behind her. Its hard to store everything in a small apartment!!! I am also signed up for the MSF safety course for next weekend. The guy I bought the bike from said former AMA champion Jermey Mcgrath built this bike. Does anyone know of a way I can verify this?

Slacker
06-07-2007, 07:27
another

Slacker
06-07-2007, 07:28
last one for now

fnfalman
06-07-2007, 10:03
Bike looks good. Real good.

:banana:

As far as whether or not McGrath had built this bike, unless there are some sort of papers showing that he did, I'd take the statement with a grain of salt.

Slacker
06-07-2007, 11:28
Thanks!!!! I dont believe most of what I hear or half what I see. I was wondering if a service like Carfax would show the previous owners?

DaisyCutter
06-07-2007, 12:06
Sweet Magna!

As for who built it... Bikes come in a crate, all you do is fill the battery, air up the tires, bolt on the wheels, dump in some oil, and ride. They are "built" at a factory.

However, if you really want to know for sure... just ask.

http://www.nacnac.com/contact/contact.html

send him an email and attach a picture of the bike.

Jeremy McGrath was the top of the supercross food chain from ~1992-1996. I don't know any supercross guys very well. But I do know supercross guys get far more factory support than off-road guys. I'm friends with a current factory Kawasaki Team Green Monster Energy racer (Destry Abbott). He holds the #1 AMA Hare & Hound title and is easily one of the top-20 off-road racers in the world. He gets a fraction of the support that his supercross counterpart "Bubba" Stewart gets.

But, even Destry has a fully compensated and certified factory Kawasaki Team Green mechanic that travels with him and actually reports to his house when they aren't travelling. Destry effectively has everything a dealership has in his own home, including a free factory mechanic named Johnny. (Destry and Johnny are featured in this months Dirt Rider, BTW).

Johnny races my class in WORCS. Last time we were head to head, Johnny pulled a 3rd and I pulled 19th... out of 48. Johnny makes cat-calls when he laps me. I know how these guys live, and they aren't building regular street bikes.

*The bikes come "built" already, they only get assembled.

*Destry doesn't have to build his own bikes, nor did Jeremy McGrath.

*If somehow, Jeremy decided to build a Magna (of all things), there would be special characteristics (I.E. personalized frame geometry) that are beyond the typical bolt on stuff (like custom wheels, suspension, etc) that Jeremy's Magna would undoubtedly have.

Jeremy was racing a CR250R that cost six figures to build. Does the Magna have some serious upgrades?

Slacker
06-07-2007, 17:50
Thanks DaisyCutter, I just shot him an email. Hopefully he'll actually read it and give me some good news back.