Surgical Speed Shooting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Surgical Speed Shooting

theTactician
05-30-2007, 06:22
Hi guys, based on your experience, how does a shooter develop surgical speed shooting? it's where, under stress like under imminent threat from a gunfighter or under fire, you can move fast and shoot accurately, almost surgically to stop the threat instantly?
is there a training or drill (other than the mozambique drill) that you usually do in the range to develop these skills? besides regular practice and firing thousands upon thousands of rounds, is there a particular drill that you do to develop surgical speed shooting.
can you share to us some of your drills and personal beliefs on training oneself to be fast and accurate.

Eye Cutter
05-30-2007, 06:29
mag ipsc ka...

TTPower
05-30-2007, 06:49
Oo mag ipsc ka.... tapos panoorin mo ito ng 100 times para alam mo ano ang dapat wag tularan hahahaha

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1863607791348811318

theTactician
05-30-2007, 07:00
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
mag ipsc ka...

yeah, im doing ipsc here in the u.s. but i still feel that there's still a lot of improvement needed. im thinkin of doing drills that would be pretty much be effective in real life scenarios. i recently became an IDPA member, though i havent tried it yet. i would've joined last may 27 but failed to do so due to personal reasons but i'll try to do it 4th sunday of this month coz here they do IDPA every 4th sunday of every month. There's this school of thought that says that there's no particular shooting competition, whether it be ipsc, idpa or uspsa or ppsa that would prepare you for real life, under stress combat. the targets in shooting competitions dont think and dont return fire. But to actually master the art of surgical speed shooting, to place shots accurately and fast to neutralize a threat is, i believe, the effective way of armed response.
Is there any drill that can help you do just that or would you just rely on shooting competitions? By drills, i mean, you can do it privately in the comfort of your own gun range or in a public gun range.

Eye Cutter
05-30-2007, 07:08
first, you must learn how to shoot accurately. if you know how to do this, its easy to crank up the speed.

everybody can pull the trigger as fast as they can. problem is, tumatama ba sa intended target or nag aararo ka ng lupa???

Eye Cutter
05-30-2007, 07:18
--> Brian Enos Forums (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?)

choi_tan2000
05-30-2007, 19:09
TTPower

nalito yung RO ah . hehe.. nice and safe shooting

choi

choi_tan2000
05-30-2007, 19:12
I agree with doc

it is how to shoot acurately always then the speed will come naturaly with us shooters.

most of all we will be enjoying more when shooting..

doc ala ba 2nd BOG funshoot? this time as a legitimate gun club na po di ba may SEC reg. na po tayo? congrats to all the proponents

thanks

choi

Alexii
05-30-2007, 20:43
Originally posted by theTactician
Hi guys, based on your experience, how does a shooter develop surgical speed shooting?

A good place to start would be to read the book with the same title as your thread. It's authored by Andy Stanford. It teaches you the dynamics of stance, grip, aiming, movement, trigger control, and follow through. It heavily favors the Isosceles stance. Do the drills at the end of the book; first slowly, then gradually building up speed without sacrificing accuracy.

Alexii
05-30-2007, 20:45
You can check this out too: www.optionsforpersonalsecurity.com

Allegra
05-30-2007, 23:25
Wat's a surgically speedy shooter anyway? :)
Concentrate on doing the basics well , yun lang yun

Parang how do u become a surgically speedy typist
Same thing

Eye Cutter
05-31-2007, 00:35
fafa A: kaya pala magaling ka sa ipsc, mabilis ka mag type! hahaha! pareho rin ba sa text???

saw your grasshopper, darryl, last weekend at armscor, ang galing galing na! meron isang stage nag full auto yung cz niya! hahaha! nagugulat rin pala?! hahaha!

maskytrading
05-31-2007, 01:15
Originally posted by Allegra
Wat's a surgically speedy shooter anyway? :)
Concentrate on doing the basics well , yun lang yun
Parang how do u become a surgically speedy typist
Same thing

Yup, doing the basics/fundamentals well...plus practice...lots of practice and lastly, more practice. :)

mitchshrader
05-31-2007, 01:26
shoot every day. 10-100 rounds.

Allegra
05-31-2007, 03:00
fafa A: kaya pala magaling ka sa ipsc, mabilis ka mag type! hahaha! pareho rin ba sa text???

saw your grasshopper, darryl, last weekend at armscor, ang galing galing na! meron isang stage nag full auto yung cz niya! hahaha! nagugulat rin pala?! hahaha!

havent seen him sinc december, carbon copy nga daw putok needs a little fine tuning lang hehe
My tendency to make mistakes
Hopefully wag lang magsawa agad , laki pa ng potential a year and a half pa lang pumuputok yan
He's w/ Dojo now

Class D typist lang ako , hanap nyo nga ako ng taga type :)

nrmcolt
05-31-2007, 06:47
:supergrin:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jmKR6evZRQQ

This is one of the best shootout scene I've seen in any movie so far.

Eye Cutter
05-31-2007, 07:02
magaling pa rin mag break down ng stage si fafa dojo, kaso pag nakikita ako, gusto bentahan ako ng mga happy blue pills! hahaha!

Eye Cutter
05-31-2007, 07:07
basta michael mann maganda shoot out scenes! favorite ko yung sa Heat robbery scene and yung Miami Vice trailer scene

Allegra
05-31-2007, 07:31
magaling pa rin mag break down ng stage si fafa dojo, kaso pag nakikita ako, gusto bentahan ako ng mga happy blue pills! hahaha!

Maganda kasama si Dojo sa practice ,ang sipag
Kaya ako tumaba sa shooting dati, sa gutom kabubuhat ng props sa practice namin hehe

On topic na nga -

from memory lang to ,galing kay chuck taylor ( not the shoes, the legendary trainer )- Basic marksmanship kelangan ng -

sight picture
sight alignment
trigger control

if you can do all 3 well under pressure , then you're now a surgically speedy shooter
I didnt even mention stance and grip kasi kahit the best ang ipsc isoscles , madami rin magaling sa weaver, iso , chapman, stressfire, castle style, Doug E. stile blah blah blah
Now go forth and practice my son...

nrmcolt
05-31-2007, 07:33
basta michael mann maganda shoot out scenes! favorite ko yung sa Heat robbery scene and yung Miami Vice trailer scene :thumbsup:

antediluvianist
06-01-2007, 00:10
I don't think we should shoot surgeons .

revo
06-01-2007, 00:28
ehem...shoot surgeons...speedily.

Poodle
06-01-2007, 01:42
Sana me scenario na kagaya nung recent bus holdap na galing Makati at nauwi sa "hot pursuit" daw sa NLEX.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/metro/view_article.php?article_id=68891

Engagement with 6 holdapers na nakabunot na ng baril. Mahirap enact yun kasi gumagalaw mga pasahero. Baka madamay din ang mga yun.

Pero kung ako siguro yun bigay ko na lang baril ko (sabihin ko di talo) tapos bigay ko din wallet at celfone ko at makiusap na wag ako patayin. Baka pag dalawa lang puede engage (o kahit tatlo basta di sila masyado marunong bumaril) pero pag anim na mahirap na yata.

boni
06-01-2007, 04:36
Originally posted by Poodle
Sana me scenario na kagaya nung recent bus holdap na galing Makati at nauwi sa "hot pursuit" daw sa NLEX.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/metro/view_article.php?article_id=68891

Engagement with 6 holdapers na nakabunot na ng baril. Mahirap enact yun kasi gumagalaw mga pasahero. Baka madamay din ang mga yun.

Pero kung ako siguro yun bigay ko na lang baril ko (sabihin ko di talo) tapos bigay ko din wallet at celfone ko at makiusap na wag ako patayin. Baka pag dalawa lang puede engage (o kahit tatlo basta di sila masyado marunong bumaril) pero pag anim na mahirap na yata.

saan na napunta yung attitude ng pinoy na okay lng mamatay basta lumalaban?:sad:

boni
06-01-2007, 04:47
it's where, under stress like under imminent threat from a gunfighter or under fire, you can move fast and shoot accurately, almost surgically to stop the threat instantly?

dapat siguro magpatibay muna tayo ng dibdib sir. para maalis mga daga ba. ewan ko kung applicable pa rin ngayon ito pero dati mag train ng cafgu by buddy2x yung isa naka prone tapos yung isa naka tayo may hawak na lobo holding it sa either side ng hips. the buddy will take the shot. sa lobo. malaki naman ang balloon hard to miss but yung matibay yung dibdib yun yung makakatama lng kasi yung may daga will give a large allowance. d ko alam anong tawag sa training na to naisipan ko lng i-share mga sir. something locally done naman para di pahuli sa stateside na training ba ;) babye:wavey:

nrmcolt
06-01-2007, 06:22
Pero kung ako siguro yun bigay ko na lang baril ko (sabihin ko di talo) tapos bigay ko din wallet at celfone ko at makiusap na wag ako patayin.

Father, with all due respect, sa panahon ngayon, IMO that's not a good idea...

Four alleged suspects in the killing of Makati Cityís deputy police chief on Wednesday night in Quezon City were arrested Thursday, GMA News' Saksi reported.

Police said among those nabbed was the alleged gunman who shot to death Supt. Jovem Bocalbos during a holdup incident inside a passenger van owned by the police officer.

Bacalbos, 38, was then sidelining as passenger van driver.

The gunman was identified as Bernardino Peralta who along with three other men fell during a police operation in Barangay (village) San Roque 2, Bagong Pag-Asa, Quezon City.

Peralta was positively identified by one of the holdup victims who saw the whole incident.

The witness told GMA News that of the 18 passengers of the van, five turned out to be armed robbers. One of the suspects shouted holdup when the van reached Litex Road on Commonwealth Avenue.

According to the witness, the gunmen pulled Bacalbos from the driverís seat to the backseat so one of the robbers can take over the steering wheel.

When Bocalbos fell on the vanís floor, his belt bag snapped, exposing his service firearm.

Sensing he was a cop, Peralta shot Bocalbos in the head, according to the witness.

The suspects drove Bocalbosí AUV to Shaw Boulevard in Mandaluyong City. - GMANews.TV

Allegra
06-01-2007, 06:29
Originally posted by boni
saan na napunta yung attitude ng pinoy na okay lng mamatay basta lumalaban?:sad:

I have a feeling patay na sila lahat

Allegra
06-01-2007, 09:09
Maganda kasama si Dojo sa practice ,ang sipag
Kaya ako tumaba sa shooting dati, sa gutom kabubuhat ng props sa practice namin hehe

On topic na nga -

from memory lang to ,galing kay chuck taylor ( not the shoes, the legendary trainer )- Basic marksmanship kelangan ng -

sight picture
sight alignment
trigger control

if you can do all 3 well under pressure , then you're now a surgically speedy shooter
I didnt even mention stance and grip kasi kahit the best ang ipsc isoscles , madami rin magaling sa weaver, iso , chapman, stressfire, castle style, Doug E. stile blah blah blah
Now go forth and practice my son...

Sino nga ba yung namumrublema sa mikes na magbibigay ng siomai?
Was that Pogi?
Kalimutan mo muna ang laod recipes,gun accessories/mods and other bs
Read the above , memorize and burn it into your subconcious naks!
Kaya ka nagmamaike theres something missing dun sa tatlo or baka lahat. Kelangan kumpleto everytime you pull the trigger

then finally, YOU need confidence in yurself fafa
you dont try to shoot A's or try not to miss

Lack confidence->nagiging conservative->nagiging tentative->daming mikes mabagal pa time

When your confident , your relaxed at loose , at positive thinking pa
You can do amazing things :)

May kilala nga ako
4 years walang putok , pumasyal lang sa level 1 , nanghiram lang ng baril,bala,rig,pati reg fee tapos nag Champion pa rin!
tsk tsk kakainis talga yun pero may advantage din talga mga mayayabang

Eye Cutter
06-01-2007, 16:12
hahaha! ikaw yun e! !

:animlol:

Young Once
06-01-2007, 19:32
You guys may not agree with me, but as part of my training, I bought an air soft replica of my carry gun (g23), and replaced the slide and barrel with metal parts instead of the original plastic ones para matibay tibay. What I do is that (since the airsoft gun is capable of succcessive shots), I place some targets in the vicinity of my house (depending on scenarios I conjure up) and then practice drawing, cover and shooting. I also tried it once outside on the street with a friend who is similarly minded as myself, using a car for cover, however na praning yung mga neighbors at tinawagan yung batangay, kaya di na namin inulit. BUT (in my opinion only) I think that the practice does me good since I am able to cover areas such as sight alignment, sight, cover, trigger control, etc. As for the recoil, well the airsoft gun has some recoil as it is a blowback design, but it feels just like the recoil of a .22. All in all however, I believe that this has been an important part of my readiness training. P.S. Always wear protective lenses if you intend to do the same as the pellets sometimes bounce back right at you. Also good to practice with another partner since then the practice is reactive as you know that you will get hurt a bit when you get hit, thereby making you more aware of the need for cover.

Eye Cutter
06-02-2007, 00:31
dapat pala mag-sked ng practice using airsoft pistols for realistic simulation

Poodle
06-02-2007, 03:13
Originally posted by Young Once
You guys may not agree with me, but as part of my training, I bought an air soft replica of my carry gun (g23), and replaced the slide and barrel with metal parts instead of the original plastic ones para matibay tibay. What I do is that (since the airsoft gun is capable of succcessive shots), I place some targets in the vicinity of my house (depending on scenarios I conjure up) and then practice drawing, cover and shooting. I also tried it once outside on the street with a friend who is similarly minded as myself, using a car for cover, however na praning yung mga neighbors at tinawagan yung batangay, kaya di na namin inulit. BUT (in my opinion only) I think that the practice does me good since I am able to cover areas such as sight alignment, sight, cover, trigger control, etc. As for the recoil, well the airsoft gun has some recoil as it is a blowback design, but it feels just like the recoil of a .22. All in all however, I believe that this has been an important part of my readiness training. P.S. Always wear protective lenses if you intend to do the same as the pellets sometimes bounce back right at you. Also good to practice with another partner since then the practice is reactive as you know that you will get hurt a bit when you get hit, thereby making you more aware of the need for cover.

Nag-airsoft ka ba Sir? I'm into Airsoft din kasi. Malaking tulong ang practice sa Airsoft, konti na lang adjustment sa real steel. Me airsoft pistol games sa Libis, sa C5. Kung interested ka tanong ko kung anong araw sila laro dun.

theTactician
06-02-2007, 03:40
know what guys, recently i've been trying to train myself using the mozambique drill. mag inserted but with no chambered round, then practice constantly doing this in 1 or 2 secs, pull the slide as fast as i could to load a round, then double tap on the chest and one on the head and then assess. i check whether i got the double taps in the alpha and one round on the head. if i miss one round off the alpha, i do it over and over again til i do it right and fast. i have to do all the sequence in 1 or 2 secs. if i dont get the desired time, i do it over and over til i get it all right. that's all i've been doin privately in the range. in competitions, its a different thing. but when im on my own, all by myself, thats the routine i do.

Young Once
06-02-2007, 05:05
Poodle, di po ako nag a air soft, although I wanted to try it once, most of the guys I knew who were into it were using rifles instead of pistols. What I need is to be able to practice scenarios where I can use my pistol since this is what I carry on a regular basis. I have yet to hear about (although I have to admit that di talaga ako masyado in the loop) airsoft using pistols simulating real life scenarios. :-)

ahtsay
06-02-2007, 09:54
Tactician, much better to call each and every shot as compared to "double" tap. From my short ipsc experience, most of my misses are from double tapping targets that are so close that I thought I can't miss. I learned that great shooters just "see what they need to see" to make the shot...meaning kailangan pa din may sight picture for each shot maski hinde perfect. :supergrin:

theTactician
06-02-2007, 10:16
Originally posted by ahtsay
Tactician, much better to call each and every shot as compared to "double" tap. From my short ipsc experience, most of my misses are from double tapping targets that are so close that I thought I can't miss. I learned that great shooters just "see what they need to see" to make the shot...meaning kailangan pa din may sight picture for each shot maski hinde perfect. :supergrin:

yes, i know. better to make the alpha shots by focusing,getting a good sight picture and just taking some time and earn points rather than do double taps to lessen time with the second shot just probably off the alpha. :) but, i just train myself with the double taps to prep myself in heaven-forbid, real life scenarios. i just thought that if i train my body and mind in doing double taps,it would come easily in actual defensive combat.

Allegra
06-02-2007, 13:09
hmmm....dami ko pang sinulat parang bali wala din a :)

theTactician
06-02-2007, 18:03
hmmm....dami ko pang sinulat parang bali wala din a :)

points were taken sir allegra.:)

boni
06-02-2007, 23:30
I have a feeling patay na sila lahat

buhay pa naman tayo sir ah :supergrin: :supergrin:

choi_tan2000
06-03-2007, 19:16
sir boni,
i like that drill and watched many times breath taking talga

its called " cinfidence shot " galing talga its even used by scout rangers during balikatan in mindanao. kasi US soldiers show us new equiptments . so wala tayo papakita new equiptments. so we showed our called "CONDFIDENCE SHOT" sabi ng mga kano filipino soldiers are carzy and said that they wont do that hahaha.... actualy the size of the baloon is like a half of plates being used in IPSC.

galing talaga you can even see the red colored water splaters in the soldiers head and waistline.

young once .

i also buy a g23 airsoft practice home like IPSC trget bord pero di ko naiisip yung ginagawa mu ah. ok yan ok .. kelan natin gawin yan ? hehhe.

thanks

saki1611
06-03-2007, 20:05
Originally posted by boni
d ko alam anong tawag sa training na to naisipan ko lng i-share mga sir. something locally done naman para di pahuli sa stateside na training ba ;) babye:wavey:

tawag dun po, confidence firing. it develops not only the shooter's ability under pressure, but also the one holding the balloon to withstand the stress under fire.

sir poodle, kung gawin mo yun binigay mo na rin buhay mo, 90% sure they'll assume pulis ka and 99.9% patayin ka rin nila.

saki1611
06-03-2007, 20:26
yes, i know. better to make the alpha shots by focusing,getting a good sight picture and just taking some time and earn points rather than do double taps to lessen time with the second shot just probably off the alpha. :) but, i just train myself with the double taps to prep myself in heaven-forbid, real life scenarios. i just thought that if i train my body and mind in doing double taps,it would come easily in actual defensive combat.

double taps can be applied in close range, usually from contact point to maximum of 7meters. beyond that is a follow through shot where two shots at the body mass need sight alignment. it's supposedly that way... that's our basic in cqb. hope i shared something...:thumbsup:

jasonub
06-03-2007, 20:43
I remember when i watched one of taran butler's video using a standard pistol. parang nag full auto ang baril niya pero 2 shots lang lagi.

So i practiced it and from .18 splits, it went down to .14. The target was 3 meters away and so i drew and fired 2 aimed shots. (2A'a). I saw my sights lift 2x on the a zone. till i got my personal best of .13 but it was consistent on .14 and .15.

then again i was cheating since i practiced it:)

Allegra
06-03-2007, 21:09
When a good shooter shoots a sub .20 split , a beginner would think that it is a doubletap
It's not
Maaring iba ang sight pic na ginagamit from the usual "clear"front sight pic pero they are still AIMED shots

saki1611
06-03-2007, 22:07
actually double tap is the technical term for two rapid shots wherein the shooter has more focus on the target yet the fa's sight is peripheral to the target. follow through also a terminology we use referring to a two shots, both shots have more focus on the alignment of sights. it's like the bigger the target the lesser the use of sight, the smaller the target the more you use the sight. yet whatever the terminologies are, jason and alegra turuan nyo ako ng mabilis na split! i need that! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mikol
06-03-2007, 23:38
Originally posted by saki1611
yet whatever the terminologies are, jason and alegra turuan nyo ako ng mabilis na split! i need that! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
ako din sama ako diyan. :supergrin:
bosing sakii, baka painomin muna tayo ni Master A. ng milk shake noong herbal life para gumaan tayo.:tongueout: ;)

charlie-xray
06-04-2007, 00:16
Makisali rin ako diyan, faster splits na gagaan pa tayo :banana: :banana: :banana:

Originally posted by mikol
ako din sama ako diyan. :supergrin:
bosing sakii, baka painomin muna tayo ni Master A. ng milk shake noong herbal life para gumaan tayo.:tongueout: ;)

Allegra
06-04-2007, 00:23
concentrate on improving your target to target splits
anyway it's free , dry firing lang yun target to target

Newbies are going to wonder kung ano yung diffrent focuses ( sight/target ), at ang mga IPSC'rs naman are going to refer to BE's different focuses ( type1,type2...)
Masisira lang ulo nyo kakahanap ng focuses na yan, forget about them muna
Concentrate muna sa "classic" clear front sight focus
Habang tumatagal and you get more experience as a shooter, you might notice iba na ang focus mo as yu shoot
You dont have to train to shoot w/ different focuses , kasi as you gain experience nagiging automatic na yan , and your eye/brain will adapt to the needs of every shot

Bow

ei , asan na yung siomai??

mikol
06-04-2007, 02:42

Newbies are going to wonder kung ano yung diffrent focuses ( sight/target ), at ang mga IPSC'rs naman are going to refer to BE's different focuses ( type1,type2...)
Habang tumatagal and you get more experience as a shooter, you might notice iba na ang focus mo as yu shoot
You dont have to train to shoot w/ different focuses , kasi as you gain experience nagiging automatic na yan , and your eye/brain will adapt to the needs of every shot

Bow

:thumbsup: iba na talaga ang magaling...!
thanks again sa free advice master A, yung siomai ki pogi mo singilin....:banana::supergrin:

Allegra
06-04-2007, 06:46
Herbalife! Builds maskels and reduces split times!

Just ask my client Brad

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/doboltap/123.jpg

saki1611
06-04-2007, 07:06

Bow

i agree 100% :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mikol, charlie, pagbalik nyo putok na tayo! ako i gained weight pa...:sad: hirap mag bawas ng taba!:supergrin:

theTactician
06-07-2007, 02:38
ako i gained weight pa...:sad: hirap mag bawas ng taba!:supergrin: [/B][/QUOTE]

just a friendly advice coz i lost weight for like 34 lbs in 2 mos and its indeed possible, believe me, go on a salad diet, dont eat rice, cake, ice cream, all the good stuff, just refrain from eating those, do treadclimbers, use the nautilus machine and guaranteed you'll definitely loose weight. it worked for me so it will work for you. You dont even need a personal trainer to do that.:) just the will power to lose weight and you're good.

Allegra
06-07-2007, 02:51
ako i gained weight pa...:sad: hirap mag bawas ng taba!:supergrin:

just a friendly advice coz i lost weight for like 34 lbs in 2 mos and its indeed possible, believe me, go on a salad diet, dont eat rice, cake, ice cream, all the good stuff, just refrain from eating those, do treadclimbers, use the nautilus machine and guaranteed you'll definitely loose weight. it worked for me so it will work for you. You dont even need a personal trainer to do that.:) just the will power to lose weight and you're good. [/B][/QUOTE]

Losing weight is the easy part
Keeping it off is the tricky part :)

Young Once
06-07-2007, 09:10
Choi, subukan natin pag tapos na gun ban. Hehehe.

theTactician
06-07-2007, 22:44
and also, i noticed, when i lost weight, besides feeling good and healthy, i can move faster, and more agile than i used to be which works well in competitions.
i lost a lot of weight in 2 mos, like before i weighed 194 lbs, i was really heavy, and when i run, i was easily exhausted, panting with heavy breaths most of the time, and now after 2 mos im already 160 lbs, i can move faster than ever before. my objective is to reach 150 lbs and maintain it there...well, hopefully.