Gas Tank Problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Problems

KodiakG-22C
05-30-2007, 11:14
Gas tank problems
I have a 92 Chevy Ĺ ton that I has a New motor and Transmission with in the last year.
Now the gas tank is building up ďA LOTĒ of pressure in it. When I go to open the tank to put gas in it makes a loud swoosh noise. Itís a lot!! It is almost enough to pull your arm off!!
Now that this is starting to happen the motor is starting to run bad. I figure it has something to do with all the pressure building up in the fuel tank. I think there is so much pressure the fuel pump is not able to pump gas.
I need to ask if anyone would know why this is going on and what can I do to stop it?

Any help would be great.

New
05-31-2007, 13:56
Replace the fuel cap

Blitzer
05-31-2007, 14:29
Originally posted by New
Replace the fuel cap

My 1990 Chevy 1/2 ton van was doing the same thing, It's vapor recovery canister was plugged up and needed replaced. I over filled the gas tank once too often and ruined the canister's carbon graduals.

:shocked: :sad:

So first check your vapor recovery canister and line.

:thumbsup: :supergrin: ;)

New
05-31-2007, 14:43
Originally posted by Blitzer
My 1990 Chevy 1/2 ton van was doing the same thing, It's vapor recovery canister was plugged up and needed replaced. I over filled the gas tank once too often and ruined the canister's carbon graduals.

Did you have a code with this problem?

KodiakG-22C
06-01-2007, 05:16
Originally posted by Blitzer

WE HAVE A WINNER!
After I posted this I made a call to a Gas Tank Re-New place and asked them about the problem. They said the same thing. Some Vapor filter is pluggeg. I can go to the junk yard and pick one up for as little as nothing. He also said I can drill a little hole into the gas cap and that will vent the tank as well.

Thanks for the advice.

KODIAK

Blitzer
06-01-2007, 06:41
Originally posted by KodiakG-22C
WE HAVE A WINNER!
After I posted this I made a call to a Gas Tank Re-New place and asked them about the problem. They said the same thing. Some Vapor filter is pluggeg. I can go to the junk yard and pick one up for as little as nothing. He also said I can drill a little hole into the gas cap and that will vent the tank as well.

Thanks for the advice.

KODIAK

Fix the issues and don not work around it.

And be sure the used canister isn't plugged as it is a common issue. By the way a new canister is $300.00 or more!

Messing with the gas cap is a violation of EPA rules and could get you into a little hassle if found.

If that line is plugged keeping the gas cap loose or drilling it will not fix the problems for long. Other issues will develop, like the rich fuel mixture and excessive fuel washing the oil off the cylinder walls and diluting the oil in the crankcase, etc. Which could lead to ruining a connecting rod, main bearing or premature piston ring wear and failure! Mega buck to fix! :sad: :shocked: