Plse recommend USB flash/thumb drive mfgs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Plse recommend USB flash/thumb drive mfgs

MB-G26
05-30-2007, 18:13
Or, in the alternative, if anyone w/let me know of any specific manufacturers or models to specifically avoid due to bad reputations?

Son's was recently stolen from school (don't recall the mfg, but it was a smaller one I'd gotten on sale somewhere). I need to get another, but w/like to avoid any that have a known rep for problems, breakdowns, unreliability, etc.

Would prefer one that does not require any supplemental sw (main use w/be on XP machine at home, although he will also use it on school's computers and there may be some cross-use on a Win98 box - but I can dl drivers as needed re 98).

Thanks!
m

Brass Nazi
05-30-2007, 18:15
In my experience all of the ones that I have bought have been reliable. I have washed my Memorex several times and it still works.

seanmac45
05-30-2007, 19:15
I own three Sandisk 1 gigs, two 2 gigs, and today I purchased a 4 gig for $39.99.

All have been flawlessly reliable.

Deanster
05-30-2007, 22:56
Costco sells the Sandisk USB drives - I really like their metal body, and the retractable USB plug, so you don't have to mess around with a cap or cover.

It's also got a clip, which helps it stay put in a backpack organizer, which is an ongoing problem for most drives, in my experience.

MB-G26
05-31-2007, 17:04
Thanks! Appreciate the input :supergrin:

srhoades
05-31-2007, 21:36
Honestly, they are getting so cheap they are disposable. Otherwise check newegg for good prices and reviews.

EAJuggalo
06-01-2007, 12:23
if you have a microcenter anywhere near get their store brand. I've bought 3 1gb drives for $8 each that have worked better than most of the brand names. If and when you move to vista they also work with readyboost which alot of drives wont.

IndyGunFreak
06-02-2007, 04:56
I also have a sandisk 1gb, and it works fine. These drives are getting awful cheap nowdays.

Originally posted by EAJuggalo
I've bought 3 1gb drives for $8 each that have worked better than most of the brand names.

In what way do they work better? Almost 99% of the time, you plug them in, they open up, you format them if you wish, and you add files.

IGF

.40Guy
06-04-2007, 11:00
I've had lots of luck with http://www.pocketec.com products. I have one of their larger drives, but they do make smaller flash drives as well. Good solid product, and fast support.

Blitzer
06-04-2007, 13:06
http://www.everythingusb.com/hardware/Storage/USB_Flash_Drives.htm

Some of the larger drives are not Win98/ME compatible, check closely before buying one. :shocked: I got into that issue with one of my thumb drives.

:supergrin: ;) :thumbsup:

Cali-Glock
06-04-2007, 14:29
I have been pretty happy with SanDisk... that said, my current 2 Gig SanDisk has failed! :( - But it appears that SanDisk will replace it. Good news, but still it is a pain in the butt. Fortunately I had recently backed it up, so the data loss is minimal. The bad news is I will probably have to buy a new one before SanDisk can process replacing my dead one. I am not sure if I will buy another SanDisk or another brand.

seanmac45: Where did you find a 4 gig SanDisk for $40?:supergrin:

seanmac45
06-04-2007, 16:57
Best Buy had a one week special on them last week.

They'll probably run it again.........

EAJuggalo
06-04-2007, 23:36
Indy, in the speed that they transfer and having them work with multiple OS. I was surprised when I started researching how many of the large names use a small amount of really fast memory and the majority is slower, which means that it won't work with Vista ReadyBoost. I've also had problems with some video not working on some flash drives but I've never had that problem with the MicroCenter drives.

SanduneCC
06-05-2007, 10:53
My Kingston Data Traveler 2G just died after 1 year.

RaiderRodney
06-05-2007, 11:56
I hear that the Corsair Flash Voyagers are pretty durable. Newegg has a 16gig one for about $150 :shocked: Oh...and 10 year warranty on those bad boys ;)

kilroy2721
06-05-2007, 13:51
I use the SanDisk 4.0GB Cruzer. I work in IT all day long and always carry 2 of them. One for apps and programs the other for clients data in case I need to save it. The first thing that I do when I get one of these drives is remove the program that they have installed. It is a useless and slow program. However on the other hand I do install Portable Apps on one of them...it is a very handy and useful tool to have with me where ever I go.