Misfire? Bad Head Gaskets? Tell me what you think... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Misfire? Bad Head Gaskets? Tell me what you think...

RMTactical
05-30-2007, 22:12
OK, as a reference, I posted this a while back...

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=697379

This was my last post in it:

Well, the check engine light came on so I took it down to the autozone to have it checked. The code it gave was PO305 IIRC which is basically a misfire in cylinder #5. So, I am gonna just do a tune up on it and see if that fixes the problem.

Well, tonight, my cousin (a mechanic) helped me give it a tune up. The spark plug in cylinder #5 was wet... She started up fine and seemed to be running well until we noticed some white smoke from the exhaust and when we checked the coolant it was low.

My cousin says that he is sure that it has to be a bad head gasket... ok that sucks...

What do you guys think?

Was there ever a recall on the '95 Tacoma V6 head gaskets? What do you think it will cost me to get it fixed if they were not recalled and I have to foot the bill?

Any help is appreciated!

New
05-31-2007, 14:07
If you are not sure if you have a bad head gasket, get what is commonly referred to as a chemical test done. It's tool that any reputable shop should have, if not I am sure you can go to a tool distributor and pick one up, they do not cost much.

New
05-31-2007, 14:14
FYI, Toyota's often do not give a specifice code for a MAF. Usually it will be something like P0171 rich lean or P0170.

If I remember right, I think 96 they came out with a different engine, to fix the issues with the older engines, witch was bad heads, if I remember right. I would defiantly contact the dealer and run the vin with them, just to make sure there is no warranty.

wb880
06-01-2007, 22:10
I use to have a 97 Tacoma 4x4 v6. There was a recall about bad headgaskets on the 95 and 96 if I remember correctly. I think consumer reports posted something about it and gave the engine a poor rating those years ( only for that one problem:crazy:.

RMTactical
06-03-2007, 21:44
Originally posted by New
FYI, Toyota's often do not give a specifice code for a MAF. Usually it will be something like P0171 rich lean or P0170.

If I remember right, I think 96 they came out with a different engine, to fix the issues with the older engines, witch was bad heads, if I remember right. I would defiantly contact the dealer and run the vin with them, just to make sure there is no warranty.

I checked with a few different dealers... no such luck... :sad:

Oh well, at least I can get the timing belt/water pump done at the same time since they'll already be in there (trying to look at the bright side).