Virginia Fire Death [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Fire Death

obxemt
05-31-2007, 19:03
Is it just me, or are this Chief's statements completely irresponsible? If nothing else they'll be great for the impending lawsuit...

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=46&id=54923

matsig
06-02-2007, 16:52
His fire crews were irresponible. They KNEW there was patient in the structure and they knew her location.
Something is wrong with their search techniques and fire ground tactics.

obxemt
06-02-2007, 17:05
Irresponsible because they didn't find her on the primary search? I have some difficulty with that. The Chief should be keeping his trap shut.

FireMarshal
06-02-2007, 17:21
His comments can't be doing much for the morale or to help his firefighter's grief. Sounds like the chief has forgot what it's like to find a victim.

hotpig
06-03-2007, 13:53
Sounds like a Chief that needs to be standing in the unemployment line tomorrow.

bigredd692
06-04-2007, 20:48
Sounds like he was an admin type and probably never fought fire. Your right. He should be keeping his trap shut and trying to find out what went wrong and how it can be fixed.

hotpig
06-04-2007, 20:51
It sounds to me that he is looking for a scape goat to push the blame on. If you can not take the heat in the Chiefs seat get out.

matsig
06-07-2007, 15:52
The buck starts and stops and the Fire Chief's Office on this one.
I don't know this Department but after reading the article several times, something is wrong in the command structure, fire ground tactics and search procedure in use.

Tvov
06-07-2007, 21:22
"Thermal imaging camera" is mentioned multiple times in the article. I hope they didn't just "sweep" rooms with it, without physically searching the rooms.

Now, having said that, I've been to plenty of drills where the "victim" (played by another fireman) is missed by search teams, when they know someone is there.

This was a terrible tragedy, and I hope it doesn't devolve into lawsuits.