New bike... '07 Aprilia Tuono [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New bike... '07 Aprilia Tuono


NMGlocker
06-01-2007, 11:12
I pick up my new Aprilia Tuono tomorrow morning.
Action shots coming soon.
http://www.aprilia.com/upload/modelli/road/p01105_0067.jpg

NMGlocker
06-01-2007, 11:14
btw: anyone want to buy my pristine '05 ZX10R?
Priced to sell, and will deliver within a reasonable distance.
:thumbsup:

FoxMustang
06-01-2007, 11:44
Very sweet :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing some pics of the real thing :)

whogasak47
06-01-2007, 19:13
Great Bike . Good Luck and Ride Safe :thumbsup:

epsylum
06-01-2007, 19:24
Uh Oh. You and fnfalman starting some sort of 'sickle gang?

:supergrin:

OD GASTON
06-01-2007, 19:50
I've had this for 2 years and I can't see myself without a bike.....never again! Honda VTX 1300 Retro.

Be Safe.:thumbsup:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/ODGASTON/VTX1300R_black.jpg

fnfalman
06-04-2007, 09:40
The Ape boys are back in town:banana:

NMGlocker, did you buy the bike from Desert Greens in Albuquerque or from the Lubbock joint?

NMGlocker
06-04-2007, 09:57
Cycle Shack of Lubbock, they made me a good deal and let me put my ZX10R up on consignment.

NMGlocker
06-04-2007, 10:04
I haven't had this much fun on a bike in a loooong time.
To change directions, you just think where you want to go and the bike goes there. I have close to 200 miles on the clock now and i'm amazed at how much more comfortable it is than the ZX10.
:thumbsup:
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/Jody1.jpg

fnfalman
06-04-2007, 12:13
So, you don't miss the extra 40-horses?

NMGlocker
06-04-2007, 13:24
Those extra 40hp are wasted around civilization.
When you compare the ZX10R and the Tuono, 0-60mph times are within .25 second and 0-100mph is within 1 second, 1/4 mile times are within 1.5 second (I'll bet you I can still outrun 90% of the literbike squids in a drag race, and destroy 100% of them in the twisties).
It's only when you top 100mph that the ZX10R really starts to gain a big advantage.
So... no I don't miss the extra 40 ponies, especially when you add in the Tuono fun factor.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
06-04-2007, 20:48
Originally posted by NMGlocker
Those extra 40hp are wasted around civilization.
When you compare the ZX10R and the Tuono, 0-60mph times are within .25 second and 0-100mph is within 1 second, 1/4 mile times are within 1.5 second (I'll bet you I can still outrun 90% of the literbike squids in a drag race, and destroy 100% of them in the twisties).
It's only when you top 100mph that the ZX10R really starts to gain a big advantage.
So... no I don't miss the extra 40 ponies, especially when you add in the Tuono fun factor.

What's next, a Ninja 250? :tongueout:
j/k glad you're enjoying it.

itstime
06-04-2007, 21:11
I've never ridden one of those but really want to. You are correct about the liter bikes. Not many people can ride them to half their potential.

DaisyCutter
06-05-2007, 09:05
Originally posted by J.R. Bob Dobbs
What's next, a Ninja 250? :tongueout:
j/k glad you're enjoying it.

:laughabove:

NMGlocker
06-05-2007, 16:44
The big ZX10R is definately fun, but only being able to use 50% of it's potential (at most) while putting up with the downsides of that race bike potential gets old pretty quickly.
The literbike is only happy when it's getting 100+mph air through its radiator, anything less and it's like sitting on a hot plate (especially in New Mexico's 100+ degree summer heat).
Tall gearing and all that heat in stop and go traffic eats clutches.
The ergonomics are great... tucked in at 150mph, anything less gives you carpal tunnel and a trip to the chiropractor.
If I lived closer to some high speed sweeping corners and big elevation changes (and no traffic or cops) maybe the ZX would have more appeal to me.
The Tuono does all the fun stuff (wheelies, stoppies, peg scraping) but with far better manners in day to day riding. And it'll still eat every 600 alive and give most literbikes a solid run up to 125mph.
Fun stuff.
:thumbsup:

Compy
06-05-2007, 16:50
Originally posted by NMGlocker
The big ZX10R is definately fun, but only being able to use 50% of it's potential (at most) while putting up with the downsides of that race bike potential gets old pretty quickly.
The literbike is only happy when it's getting 100+mph air through its radiator, anything less and it's like sitting on a hot plate (especially in New Mexico's 100+ degree summer heat).
Tall gearing and all that heat in stop and go traffic eats clutches.
The ergonomics are great... tucked in at 150mph, anything less gives you carpal tunnel and a trip to the chiropractor.
If I lived closer to some high speed sweeping corners and big elevation changes (and no traffic or cops) maybe the ZX would have more appeal to me.
The Tuono does all the fun stuff (wheelies, stoppies, peg scraping) but with far better manners in day to day riding. And it'll still eat every 600 alive and give most literbikes a solid run up to 125mph.
Fun stuff.
:thumbsup:

You just summed up exactly what I've been thinking for the last couple weeks or so. I've been comtemplating selling my ZX10 for a BMW K1200R.

Congrats on the Tuono..looks pretty sweet! :thumbsup:

fnfalman
06-05-2007, 18:27
So, NMGlocker, how did you decide on the Tuono instead of the Super Duke? Since that the dealership has both available and you test rode both (presumably so?), how come you favored the Tuono?

I finally had the chance to test ride the Super Duke and I must say honestly that I may favor it over the Tuono. Less power at top end, less rush at higher speed, but at lower RPM, it runs like a scalded cat not to mention just a hair more maneuverable. You can really tell when you run through a series of chicanes.

Anyway, my current work calender sucks. I am suppose to be here, to be there, but nowhere. I can't plan for squat right now. Otherwise, I was planning to take a whole week off, fly to Las Cruces, pick up the 990 Adventure and go hook up with you.

NMGlocker
06-05-2007, 20:51
The Super Duke was just too damn compact for my 6'2" frame. Also the throttle was real snatchy (especially down low) like a light switch.
It would make picking up the throttle mid-corner a dangerous proposition. It may have just been that bikes tune, but I wasn't as impressed with it as I thought I would be.
Coming from the ZX10R, I liked the Tuono's power delivery better, I'm used to a softer low end and then a top end rush. ZX10 throttle habits should carry over pretty well to the Ape, although the Ape has way more engine braking and could use a better slipper clutch (or I need to blip on downshifts more).

NMGlocker
06-05-2007, 21:01
I did some riding this evening with a friend on his '03 GSXR 1k.
We didn't do any full blown racing, but we did play around some on the truck by-pass. While he would pull away from me, he was far from leaving me behind (until the 140mph mark or so). Up through 100mph I was right on his tail then he'd start pulling. A late model 636 rode with us some, and we would both walk away from him pretty easily.
All in all, the Ape has some pretty impressive performance.
My buddy was quite impressed, his only prior naked bike experiences were with Bandits and Z1000's and they aren't nearly as quick.

bac1023
06-06-2007, 04:22
Nice.

Once you get it fully broken in, trade those ugly stock cans in for a set of Vince's. I couldn't wait to get rid of those cans on my Factory. The Vince's sound awesome and add 5-10 horsepower. :)

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/bac1023/000_0315-1.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/bac1023/000_0318.jpg

Lowrider 49
06-06-2007, 05:56
NM,

Great bike!!!

As a semi-old, half wore out flat land sometimes Bandit rider, I gotta tell you that lure of more horse power is sure appealing at times, but from a practical standpoint you guys are right, I seldom go over a 120 on my Bandit. It's 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 4th gear where I use the power and the Bandit has enough to make me smile...especially when getting off a Harley and on to the Bandit!!

I put Buell touring bars on my Bandit and that makes it a lot more "touring" friendly, but still works pretty well in the curves. It allows a pretty upright riding position and really saves your wrists and back. We don't have any thing to climb except an overpass or two, but sometimes I get into the baby mountains in PA or WV and the Bandit power is just fine for a semi-old guy!

That's a great looking bike and you should really enjoy it!!

Ride safe!!

fnfalman
06-06-2007, 10:12
Originally posted by NMGlocker
The Super Duke was just too damn compact for my 6'2" frame. Also the throttle was real snatchy (especially down low) like a light switch.
It would make picking up the throttle mid-corner a dangerous proposition. It may have just been that bikes tune, but I wasn't as impressed with it as I thought I would be.
Coming from the ZX10R, I liked the Tuono's power delivery better, I'm used to a softer low end and then a top end rush. ZX10 throttle habits should carry over pretty well to the Ape, although the Ape has way more engine braking and could use a better slipper clutch (or I need to blip on downshifts more).

The Super Duke that I rode had some miles on as a demo bike so the snatchiness wasn't bad, however, that was the main complaint among other test riders too. I think that a tuned PCIII can correct that. Crappy throttle response is the direct consequence of badly tuned bikes from the factory in order to pass the new Euro III and American emission tests.

Make sure that your dealership had properly prepped your bike (installing the included 15T front sprocket instead of the installed 16T, take off the restrictor plate at the intake, and the charcoal cannister fume collector in the tail). Consider that you're at a very windy and dusty area, I don't know if I could recommend the Evoluzione air box mod. That's something that you'll have to decide based on risk/benefit consideration.

Chances are however you set up your bike, AF1 may have a good map for the PCIII already. The map that they put in my bike worked exceptionally well. I'm sure that a true custom map is better but when you have two bikes that are similar in setup, it's more than close enough.

And AF1 is selling the Ohlins-for-Aprilia rear shocks for dirt cheap right now. That's a very worthwhile investment. The Sachs shock is better than the Sachs shock in the older Tuono but it's still not all that great.

NMGlocker
06-06-2007, 12:15
Yea a PC-III would clean up the KTM, but since the SD is already $1k higher than the Ape, adding another $400 for a PC and dyno tune just to make it as rideable didn't appeal to me either.

I swapped out the 16T for the 15T within 30 minutes of geting it home (the Apes race bike heritage means a sprocket swap took me 15 minutes start to finish).
A set of Akra's and some tuning are next on the list.
A suspension upgrade is on the horizon, just haven't decided exactly what yet.

fnfalman
06-06-2007, 14:26
The Super Duke's WP suspension with full adjustment including high/low speeds damping and Brembo rims definitely worth the extra $1000 additional MSRP.

That's one thing that most people overlook when they compare the regular Tuono versus the Super Duke. There's even an R version of the Super John Wayne that's not available in the USA yet.

Anyway, it's half a dozen of one and six of the other. I think that these two bikes represent the current pinnacle of aggressive naked bikes available in the US.

But since that AF1 is selling the Ohlins-for-Aprilia shock for so cheap, it's not even worth revalving with a valve kit. Because even when you do, you still don't have the adjustments on the Sachs for fine tuning that you would from the Ohlins.

The front Showa are pretty darn good. Even the AF1 dudes are impressed by them.

But please take the restrictor plate out from the air intake and when you come in for the 600-miles service, make sure that the Lubbock joint switches your ECU mapping over to Map 2.

Another must-have is the Ohlins steering damper. Once again, the non-adjustable Sachs sucks. :rofl: Get it? Sachs sucks? I kill myself.:tongueout: Even at the minimum setting for street riding, the Ohlins dampen the front end quite a bit more than the Sachs. Roll the throttle while on nasty road surfaces isn't as scary as before any more.