Fedora 7 released... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 7 released...

IndyGunFreak
06-02-2007, 04:13
Fedora 7 was released as final last night... The only way to really download the Live CD, is via Torrent, the mirrors that are hosting the standard downloads are horribly slow...

http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/

IGF

tous
06-02-2007, 08:06
A quality penguin. :thumbsup:

I usually wait a week and then try the Czech or Yugoslavian mirrors. They seem less congested.

NB: not all mirrors have the x86_64 DVD image :upeyes: :teddy:

Washington,D.C.
06-02-2007, 20:32
I aways have problems with the Fedora installer. I don't have a problem with the CentOS installer which seems exactly the same. The latest version of CentOS is based on Red Hat Linux 5 and is similar to Fedora 6. The PC where I installed it has an old DVD-ROM drive and won't boot from DVD-R's. I had to download the CD's. All 6 of them but CentOS 5 is running great. Even people that can boot from DVD-R are having problems with the installer but not with the CD's.

kimigirl
06-04-2007, 02:08
I'm still playing with Fedora Core 5. On a happier note I have the new Xandros Desktop 4. I'm gonna set it up to dual boot on my Vista machine.

tous
06-04-2007, 08:09
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
I aways have problems with the Fedora installer. I don't have a problem with the CentOS installer which seems exactly the same. The latest version of CentOS is based on Red Hat Linux 5 and is similar to Fedora 6. The PC where I installed it has an old DVD-ROM drive and won't boot from DVD-R's. I had to download the CD's. All 6 of them but CentOS 5 is running great. Even people that can boot from DVD-R are having problems with the installer but not with the CD's.

I've had the same problems in the past. You'd think if you burn a DVD, the same drive could read it, but Nooooooooooooooooooooooo. :upeyes:

And, like you, I have resorted to the 6 CDs. And here's hoping Fedora 7 has a little better support for wireless devices.

FastZ
06-13-2007, 21:44
Any good words for FC7 from anyone on here who've tried it out? I run Ubuntu on my desktop and server computers exclusively but my laptop is one that I often change the OS that I dual-boot alongside Windows, so I was thinking about trying out FC7 on there sometime. Last I used Fedora was back when FC5 had first come out, aint used it since. Some feedback would be nice. Thanks.

Washington,D.C.
06-13-2007, 23:41
Beginning with Fedora 7 it's just Fedora 7 and no longer Fedora Core. I haven't tried it. I read some reviews that say it might have some multimedia player issues. It is suppose to aupport more wireless chips and raid drives and newer hardware. None of my hardware is very new right now. I think I'll need a new laptop this year though. I have tried earlier versions of Fedora Core and always had problems with the installer. I use CentOS and it's based on Red Hat Enterprise and the intaller seems about the same but no problems for me. CentOS 5 is based on Red Hat 4 which is very similar to FC6.

Ubuntu has the most money behind it. That's why it's been able to progress and grow so quickly.

IndyGunFreak
06-14-2007, 11:08
I still like Fedora. If you like the Redhat based distros, its great. I'm not really sure how much better/different it is than Centos, but really none of the Redhat based distros are all that different. I don't have a ton of experience with F7, as I've only used the Live CD a few times.

In my opinion, Debian based distros just absolutely slaughter anything that is based on Redhat. Apt-get/aptitude is superior to Yum in every way. I'm gonna work with Ubuntu another 3-6mo, and then work on a pure Debian install for my laptop.

My PC, will remain Ubuntu for the forseeable future, as I racked my brain for to long setting up Dual Monitors. Now that its set up, its pretty easy to do as I install new Ubuntu distros. All of them have pretty much read a saved xorg.conf file that I have, and always sets it up perfectly when I load it. I'm not sure if debian would read it correctly or not(my guess is, it would).

IGF

David_G17
06-14-2007, 15:59
http://apcmag.com/6415/first_look_at_fedora_core_7

First look at Fedora Core 7: installer problems abound

It was with much anticipation that we nabbed the new Fedora Core 7 Live CD in the hope of checking it out first before installing it. Unfortunately, the live CD had other plans.

After starting to load the kernel it happily reported a series of 'buffer IO' errors on my DVD drive. It's a pretty reliable Pioneer DVR-111, and not had a problem with burned disks yet, but nevertheless, I burned another and... got the same result. Ok, let's try the 64-bit Live CD.

Same result.

Hrm, checking the forums it turns out this is a common bug and the solution is to append 'ide=nodma' to the kernel options. So I did.

Same result.

Fine, toss the Live CD idea lets go with the full install DVD -- and what do you know, it boots fine! Won't be long now, i think, before I'm exploring a spanky new Fedora Core 7 install.

So I click on the graphical installer and, oddly, it starts the text based one instead. Then, after some initial prompts, it tells asks me to choose the installation source -- I select the DVD, since that's what I have. The drive whirs a little before it spits out the DVD and the the installer tells me it can't find... the DVD.

Repeated attempts grant no relief; it is convinced the install DVD is not the install DVD. Another forum search, and it turns out to be a known bug.

So far, after a number of wasted disks and time, I'm finding it hard to be impressed.

So I did want any self-respecting Linux geek would -- I chucked the DVD contents onto my gateway system (running Gentoo, no less), re-loaded the install DVD, and did a network install via HTTP.

Ironically, the last time I did a network install at home was with an early verion of Red Hat, so early in fact that the curses installer had the 'Redhat Redneck' install language, which was a stroke of comic genius back then. Pity to lose that as Red Hat become a pin up boy for corporate open source. And so far Fedora Core has certainly been far less funny...

tous
06-18-2007, 06:50
Installed Fedora 7 (why do they still have the 'c' in the filenames again?:headscratch: ) over the weekend.

Install as an update to an existing Fedora 6 x-86_64 install:

No problems. Booted from the DVD, answered the usual questions, selected update an existing system and away it went. Note that the old Fedora desktop theme is replaced by the new Fedora 7 theme which just sucks canal water. :upeyes: One can revert to the Red Hat theme. There were 82 updates waiting for me.

Install as a fresh x-86_64 install:

As expected, no problems. I don't use Logical Volumes so I hand-partition the hdd. One thing you will notice is that the packages included on the DVD are nowhere near what you used to get, e.g., Eclipse is not on the DVD. Ah, for the days of 'install everything.'

Installed without a problem, again, 82 updates were a-waitin'.

As mentioned, you'll need to spend some time in yumx or add programs to get the stuff you used to get on the CDs/DVDs.

As far as wireless support, I didn't see any enhanced support for wireless chips beyond what's in the 2.6.21.xx kernel, but my install didn't include any wireless devices.

I did not try the Live feature. Maybe next weekend.

Conclusions: Fedora 7 includes KVM as well as XEN, but if you aren't interested in virtualization that's a yawn. F7 seems to be faster, especially on boot up, but that may be perception. I suggest that if you have an FC6 install that's working for you, F7 isn't going to get you much more than the latest kernel and you can install that with FC6.

NetNinja
06-18-2007, 20:42
burned a DVD of FC7 installed it on a Dell 850 server raid 1.
Install went without a hitch.

I havent deleved deep into it yet. I plan on running Nagios and Subversion on it any maybe some other stuff.