Router Problems... Please help before I shoot it! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Router Problems... Please help before I shoot it!

jtm62
06-02-2007, 19:02
Hello everyone,

My old WRT54GS finally crapped itself two days ago. I bought a new one tonight (a Netgear WNR834B).

I ran my initial set up... hid my SSID, put a WPA key on it... and I when I feel like doing the extra work... adding the MAC blocker.

Currently, I have four computers hooked up to the router. Two Via Wireless, and Two Via Wired.

Here is the PROBLEM! All four computer receive a valid IP address from the router. However, only the two wired computers are able to access the internet. Someone, please, tell me why I can access the network with the wireless machines, but not the internet.

Since they can talk to the router, and receive an IP, they should be able to access the internet as well, correct? Or did I miss something?

Thank you,

Josh

Jwickersham
06-03-2007, 05:55
Did you change the gateway IP on the wireless connections?

jtm62
06-03-2007, 08:48
Originally posted by Jwickersham
Did you change the gateway IP on the wireless connections?

Yes, I completely reconfigured everything yesterday. Apparently, I should have followed my own advice and restarted both computers before getting flustered.

A restart fixed the problem, but only temporarily.

Could it be a port forwarding problem? Firewall problem? Anything?

Only a restart will achieve internet connectivity on both the wireless computers...

srhoades
06-03-2007, 10:02
Upgrade the firmware on the router. I had a netgear once where DHCP didn't work and had to wait MONTHS for a firmware upgrade.

neeko
06-03-2007, 10:09
Why use DHCP, just configure static addresses.

boomcat
06-03-2007, 10:24
Use static IP addresses.

With dynamic IPs, each time a computer is booted and signs on to the router, it may get the same IP as last session, or it may get a different IP, depending on the order in which the PCs are booted. For applications which use port forwarding, this is unacceptable. Secondly, some wireless printers (like my HP PSC-2510) will become unavailable to certain PCs unless the IP is static. Third, it adds a little bit more security, since you can assign your own IP range, frustrating wireless pirates.