DirectX help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DirectX help

digitsmaw
06-02-2007, 20:01
Help please, I have a Dell Latitude that I use primarily for internet and games. I recently had someone replace the hard drive to a larger 20GB. Since this, I cannot get most games and pics and get a DirectX error message. I looked into Microsoft to see if they had a download and they do - but I need to know what version I have to match the upgrade. Where/how do I get this info? Is it safe to download version 9 if I'm not sure which version I have? Would it be better to download ver. 10? How do I take off the old ver. if this is necessary? I'd like to save as much disk space as possible. Any help is really appreciated.

I know someone can help - THANKS in advance.

Washington,D.C.
06-02-2007, 20:17
Vista can use DirectX 10 , XP and older versions should be able to use the latest DirectX 9c.

http://majorgeeks.com/DirectX_End-User_Redistributable_d2924.html

The DirectX runtime cannot be uninstalled. We recommend Windows Me and Windows XP users create a "System Restore" point before installing.

Now if you are trying to run a game requiring DirectX 10 you may be able use this program but I've never tried it.

http://majorgeeks.com/DirectX_10_Compatibility_Libraries_d5615.html

Washington,D.C.
06-02-2007, 20:19
DirectX 9 uninstaller

http://www.majorgeeks.com/DirectX_9_Uninstaller_d2935.html

Washington,D.C.
06-02-2007, 20:20
You shouldn't have to uninstall. Windows XP should have DirectX 8 so you should upgrade to latest DirectX 9c. I wouldn't try 10 unless you have Vista but then I think it's already installed.

digitsmaw
06-02-2007, 20:21
OK, I found I have ver. 8.1
I can't find any upgrade downloads for this. Do I need to install a new version? 9? 10? Will I need to take the old ver. off? How do I do this?

Thanks for any response.

Washington,D.C.
06-02-2007, 20:22
Which version of Windows do you have? Windows XP ?

Washington,D.C.
06-02-2007, 20:25
Well version 9c may be safe to install but it's not designed to be uninstalled. If you have Windows XP you should creat a system restore point before installing DirectX 9c.

digitsmaw
06-02-2007, 22:06
Yes, I have XP Professional. I checked and it defaults to system restore...whatever that means...

So, if I go to Microsoft and download 9c in addition to what I have now I should see an improvement and there will be no conflict between the two versions. I should not have to remove the old one and it won't use up all my hard drive...???

AND, if I need to system restore it would tell me what to do at that point or just do it itself??

Washington,D.C.
06-02-2007, 22:28
You need to set a system restore point. It likely won't used but if it does something you don't like then you would go back to the restore point yourself. The directX isn't designed to be uninstalled so yes you would just install 9c with what you jhave now. I don't think it will cause any problems but that is why I say you should set a system restore point before you install 9c because that is the only correct way to undo it in Windows XP. You might get the correct version just by going to Windows Update. You should still set a restore point before you go to Windows Update to get it though.

digitsmaw
06-02-2007, 23:03
System reset is set to max 12% Do I need to do more than just know this is set?

Washington,D.C.
06-02-2007, 23:39
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

Creating a restore point can be useful any time you anticipate making changes to your computer that are risky or might make your computer unstable. If something goes wrong, you select the restore point you just created and Windows XP undoes any system changes made since that time.

Create a Restore Point

Open System Restore. (See step-by-step instructions above.)

Click Create a restore point, and then click Next.

In the Restore point description box, type a name to identify this restore point as seen in Figure 1 below. System Restore automatically adds the date and time that this Restore Point is created.
Create a restore point

Figure 1. Creating a restore point

To finish creating this restore point, click Create.

To cancel restore point creation and return to the Welcome to System Restore screen, click Back.

To cancel restore point creation and exit the System Restore Wizard, click Cancel.

To view or to return to this restore point, from the Welcome to System Restore screen of the System Restore Wizard select Restore my computer to an earlier time. Then select the date you created the restore point from the calendar in the Select a Restore Point screen. All of the restore points you created and you computer created on the selected date are listed by name in the list box to the right of the calendar.

Note System Restore does not replace the process of uninstalling a program. To completely remove the files installed by a program, you must remove the program using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel or the program's own uninstall program. To open Add or Remove Programs, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.

Washington,D.C.
06-03-2007, 00:15
If you run Windows Update I think it will offer the correct updated DirectX program for your system.

digitsmaw
06-03-2007, 01:28
Thanks a grunchload!! I set a restore point, downloaded ver 9c, restarted, and my computer hasnt crashed yet!! I'm thrilled!! Going to try to start my game next and see if it works. So far, the pics on internet seem to work. I'll be right back to let you know how it came out.

digitsmaw
06-03-2007, 01:33
OK now, what the heck does this mean:

Could not inital Direct3D. Check that the latest version of DirectX is correctly installed. Also, make sure program was compiled with header files that match the installed DirectX DLLs.

Did I do something wrong...or do I just have to scrap the game?

Washington,D.C.
06-03-2007, 02:33
Hmmm I'm not sure. It might be something to do with the game. Can you reinstall it?