Confused about CT pistol law [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Confused about CT pistol law

nognig
06-03-2007, 09:55
I'll be moving to CT in a few months and I'm confused by the laws. From what I understand, you can't carry a pistol (even unloaded in your car's trunk) without a pistol permit.

To obtain said permit, you need to take a NRA course. How does one go about taking such a course if you can't get your pistol to the place you take the course? I guess one option is to rent one, but that might not always be possible.

Is there something I'm missing?

NN

Hef
06-03-2007, 13:06
If you have a resident permit from your home state, apply to the CT State Police for a CT non-res permit. Once you move, get it switched to a resident permit. I'm willing to bet the Special Licensing & Firearms Unit will make the switch for you, so that you can avoid the hassle of dealing with a local CT PD (and the possible anti-gun attitudes prevalent in lower CT PD's).

Call the State Police.

Jene
06-03-2007, 16:42
Here we go again!!!!! Hef, we are not anti-gun in CT. Getting a permit is straight forward and is not a hassle. Before you start making assumptions and maligning our local PD's, you might want to be informed and know what you are talking about. Do I sound like I took the comment personally.... you bet I do. Most officers, to include the ones I work with, are not anti-gun. The only ones I've really ever run across were higher-ups in big cities, with political aspirations.

Nognig, if you are moving to the state, yes, unloaded in the trunk, ammunition elswhere, gun locked up will not cause you an issue. Then apply for a permit. Taking the course is easy, and the place where you go usually provides the guns. Its not like a long or involved shooting session; more a safety and familiarization session.

Tvov
06-04-2007, 05:37
Almost all gun ranges and gun clubs provide permit classes. In the class I took at the local range, a range gun rental was included with the cost of the class.

Hef
06-04-2007, 09:22
Originally posted by Jene
Here we go again!!!!! Hef, we are not anti-gun in CT. Getting a permit is straight forward and is not a hassle. Before you start making assumptions and maligning our local PD's, you might want to be informed and know what you are talking about. Do I sound like I took the comment personally.... you bet I do. Most officers, to include the ones I work with, are not anti-gun. The only ones I've really ever run across were higher-ups in big cities, with political aspirations.

Nognig, if you are moving to the state, yes, unloaded in the trunk, ammunition elswhere, gun locked up will not cause you an issue. Then apply for a permit. Taking the course is easy, and the place where you go usually provides the guns. Its not like a long or involved shooting session; more a safety and familiarization session.

My comment was based upon the attitudes of the (lower Fairfield/New Haven) personnel who make decisions regarding permits, policy, etc, as they are the people who use their positions to promote anti-gun agendas. My experience has been that CT patrol officers overall are 50/50 when it comes to supporting gun rights, but in lower Fairfield County and New Haven they seem to be more anti-gun than pro-gun.

I'm not attacking you personally, so please don't take it as such. I've met quite a few cops, and have/had a few in my family. My cousin was the chief of police in Stamford (retired now).

nognig
06-04-2007, 12:21
Thanks guys! I don't have a permit in my home state, so I can't get the temp permit based on that.

My other option is to take the NRA course here in Michigan before I leave. My question is, will there be a problem getting it recognized? Which course should I take?

I've been shooting for 3 years or so, I think I'm pretty good with a pistol, at least an intermediate level of skill. Should I just take the most basic handgun course?

NN

eyesnorth
06-04-2007, 17:05
Originally posted by nognig
Thanks guys! I don't have a permit in my home state, so I can't get the temp permit based on that.

My other option is to take the NRA course here in Michigan before I leave. My question is, will there be a problem getting it recognized? Which course should I take?

I've been shooting for 3 years or so, I think I'm pretty good with a pistol, at least an intermediate level of skill. Should I just take the most basic handgun course?

NN

Basic is all that is required. Don't worry, the laws and PDs here aren't bad on a whole except fot the occasional individual with an attitude.

harlenm
06-09-2007, 11:14
Originally posted by Hef
My experience has been that CT patrol officers overall are 50/50 when it comes to supporting gun rights, but in lower Fairfield County and New Haven they seem to be more anti-gun than pro-gun.

I'm in lower Fairfield County, and I don't think I've come across a cop that isn't pro-gun.

Most of them are pretty nice, even had a nice talk with a State Trooper who was asking what I was carrying.

Douglas in CT
06-10-2007, 04:41
Originally posted by harlenm
Most of them are pretty nice, even had a nice talk with a State Trooper who was asking what I was carrying.
That's good old harlem and his lead foot again! ;)

harlenm
06-10-2007, 16:23
Originally posted by Douglas in CT
That's good old harlem and his lead foot again! ;)

This was after I was rear-ended while completely stopped on 95.

:tongueout: :tongueout:

eyesnorth
06-11-2007, 04:15
This was after I was rear-ended while completely stopped on 95.

:tongueout: :tongueout:

Well there's your mistake...don't slow down on 95 for anything.

DB79
06-11-2007, 11:20
I'm in lower Fairfield County and didn't run into any anti-gun attitudes when applying. Although, the police did character interviews with all my neighbors which caused some discontent. The funny thing was that none of my neighbors knew me or that I lived next to them.

harlenm
06-11-2007, 11:35
Originally posted by eyesnorth
Well there's your mistake...don't slow down on 95 for anything.

Everyone else was stopped, what was I supposed to do? Drive in the shoulder?

eyesnorth
06-16-2007, 01:05

Absolutely!

SBD
07-13-2007, 13:57
Originally posted by nognig

NN

Hey NN,

I suggest you start reading the laws (CT state as well as federal) before you move. As far as getting your pistol to CT without a permit, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act#.22Safe_Passage.22_Provision.

As for your permit class, there really is no "choice" involved. What I mean is that what you should be looking to sign up for is something with "NRA pistol permit class" in the title. It shouldn't matter where you take the class as long as it was taught by an NRA-certified instructor and you receive a certificate that has his or her NRA number on the bottom. Then when you move to CT, go to your local police and you can start the application process.

I just got my CT resident CCP on Monday, about three weeks after I applied for it. Let me know if you have any more questions.

harlenm
07-13-2007, 14:45
It is not a ccw or ccp permit. There is no requirement to conceal, no matter what you are told. It may be frowned upon, but it is not illegal. It is a permit to carry, that is all.

SBD
07-13-2007, 16:17
I called it that out of habit (I also have a non-resident VA permit, which is a permit to conceal because the laws are different down there).

Hey harlenm, have you ever had problems with onlookers open-carrying where you live in CT (if you've tried)?

harlenm
07-13-2007, 16:43
Won't try it, not in the area where I live.

Floodster
07-20-2007, 17:03
Here we go again!!!!! Hef, we are not anti-gun in CT. Getting a permit is straight forward and is not a hassle.

Not true. The officer in my town was VERY anti and even tried to talk me out of getting my pistol permit. :upeyes:

Tvov
07-20-2007, 17:09
Originally posted by Floodster
Not true. The officer in my town was VERY anti and even tried to talk me out of getting my pistol permit. :upeyes:

Well, yea. You do have to get a local permit first, which means you have to go through the local PD. It is too bad you ran into that, but you did get it?

My PD did not even blink an eye. They helped with the paperwork and everything went easily and quickly.

Tvov
07-20-2007, 17:11
Originally posted by SBD
Hey harlenm, have you ever had problems with onlookers open-carrying where you live in CT (if you've tried)?

Whatever the "law" technically says, I've never seen anyone in CT (besides PD) open carry, except at ranges or gun stores.

Floodster
07-20-2007, 18:01

Sure, that's SOP around here. :upeyes:

As for the poster talking about open carry and getting into trouble, even though it isn't "technically" illegal...

I wonder if anyone's ever been busted for carrying concealed on the pistol permit. Never know around here as "technically" the permit doesn't designate open or concealed carry. The word "concealed" isn't even on the darned "Permit to carry Pistols and Revolvers". :upeyes:

harlenm
07-20-2007, 20:30
I don't want to be the test case for open carry in CT.

Hell, at work I have a few copies of Gun's and Ammo, and some of my customers who use the bathroom complain about the "inappropriate" material in the bathroom, referring to the GnA issues.

Forget about the fact that Maxim, Stuff, and FHM are right in with it.

You'd figure that 1/2 naked women would be more inappropriate then guns.

Floodster
07-20-2007, 20:35
I don't want to be the test case for open carry in CT.

Hell, at work I have a few copies of Gun's and Ammo, and some of my customers who use the bathroom complain about the "inappropriate" material in the bathroom, referring to the GnA issues.

Forget about the fact that Maxim, Stuff, and FHM are right in with it.

You'd figure that 1/2 naked women would be more inappropriate then guns.

Tell that to Jene. He's apparently convinced that CT police are a "lovey dovey" to civilian gun ownership and carrying. NOT in my neck of the woods, however. :upeyes:

Jene
07-20-2007, 21:25
Floodster... getting a little testy are we..... what I am saying is that as far as my contacts go [seeing that I have 25+ years as an leo in CT, I have yet to run into an anti-gun officer. Not saying that they may be out there, but they are definately the minority. We even had a citizen come in to have a form 4 signed for a silencer, and our chief, after I told him what it was, had no problem with it.

Floodster
07-20-2007, 21:30
[seeing that I have 25+ years as an leo in CT, I have yet to run into an anti-gun officer.

I appreciate your LEO service and being "pro-civilian" gun ownership/carry.

As far as to "yet run into an anti-gun officer", look up the Training Officer in the Naugatuck Police Dept.

I called for WEEKS when I first moved here and left messages (appointment only) when I first got here with nary a response. He's the only LEO that does paperwork/fingerprints. He also told me I cannot carry on the temporary permit. WRONG!

NOT a very nice guy. He tried to talk me out of owning pistols (too late...moved here with a FL and AZ permit) and questioned why I felt the need to get a pistol permit.

Now, the SLFU guys I've dealt/conversed with have actually been awesome and greatly helped me out here as a newbie in CT after I thought I had purchased a banned assault rifle (Waterbury gun show). Turns out my purchase was perfectly legal and the SLFU guys go through everything and won't let something illegal get sold to a CT resident. Gotta give those guys a big :thumbsup: for doing that. AK-47 = no no.. . AK-74 = okay. It's in the chambering. The banned "AK-47" type rifles is what threw me for a loop. Looks like it, functions like it, BUT will not function with AK-47 parts swapped into a '74. 7.62 vs 5.45...

SGT Bastura (XO of the SLFU) was very informative and a great guy who actually answered my questions about firearms via email. Another :thumbsup:

Jene
07-21-2007, 15:34
Sorry bout the guy in Naugatuck....... thats a shame, as it paints a bad light on all. As I said before, at least in my part of the state and those Ive come into contact with throughout my travels, most officers are pro 2nd amendment.

eyesnorth
07-25-2007, 00:15
Jene - question for ya...

I would love to get a silencer for one of my rifles. I am trying to play nice with an anti-gun neighbor who still, after several calls to the troop resulted in her being told that I was doing nothing illegal, doesn't think I can shoot on my property. Who would sign a form 4 for me, the resident trooper or would I have to go to Middletown? Do you think CSP would even sign it?

harlenm - I wouldn't want to be that test case either.

Floodster
07-25-2007, 10:40
Originally posted by eyesnorth
Jene - question for ya...

I would love to get a silencer for one of my rifles. I am trying to play nice with an anti-gun neighbor who still, after several calls to the troop resulted in her being told that I was doing nothing illegal, doesn't think I can shoot on my property. Who would sign a form 4 for me, the resident trooper or would I have to go to Middletown? Do you think CSP would even sign it?

harlenm - I wouldn't want to be that test case either.

Check with D&T Arms. They specialize in all sorts of Class III stuff and supressors.

http://dandtarms.hvfllc.com/

usmc4641
07-25-2007, 17:05
I appreciate your LEO service and being "pro-civilian" gun ownership/carry.

As far as to "yet run into an anti-gun officer", look up the Training Officer in the Naugatuck Police Dept.

I called for WEEKS when I first moved here and left messages (appointment only) when I first got here with nary a response. He's the only LEO that does paperwork/fingerprints. He also told me I cannot carry on the temporary permit. WRONG!

NOT a very nice guy. He tried to talk me out of owning pistols (too late...moved here with a FL and AZ permit) and questioned why I felt the need to get a pistol permit.

Now, the SLFU guys I've dealt/conversed with have actually been awesome and greatly helped me out here as a newbie in CT after I thought I had purchased a banned assault rifle (Waterbury gun show). Turns out my purchase was perfectly legal and the SLFU guys go through everything and won't let something illegal get sold to a CT resident. Gotta give those guys a big :thumbsup: for doing that. AK-47 = no no.. . AK-74 = okay. It's in the chambering. The banned "AK-47" type rifles is what threw me for a loop. Looks like it, functions like it, BUT will not function with AK-47 parts swapped into a '74. 7.62 vs 5.45...

SGT Bastura (XO of the SLFU) was very informative and a great guy who actually answered my questions about firearms via email. Another :thumbsup:

You really had that much trouble in Naugatuck? I live there and that is where I got my temp permit. It did take five weeks, but I had no trouble getting prints done and submitting.
I called ahead, made the appt gave him the QA form and money orders. Done Sir Done!
As far as him saying anything anti to me, he just did the prints and took the money order, that was it. Sorry that you had a bad time here.

Floodster
07-25-2007, 17:18
Originally posted by usmc4641
You really had that much trouble in Naugatuck? I live there and that is where I got my temp permit. It did take five weeks, but I had no trouble getting prints done and submitting.
I called ahead, made the appt gave him the QA form and money orders. Done Sir Done!
As far as him saying anything anti to me, he just did the prints and took the money order, that was it. Sorry that you had a bad time here.

Guess you didn't have the pleasure of dealing with Officer Butler, the Training Officer at the Naugy station off Spring St.

usmc4641
07-25-2007, 18:29
Guess you didn't have the pleasure of dealing with Officer Butler, the Training Officer at the Naugy station off Spring St.
Yep I sure did.

Jene
07-25-2007, 19:56
eyesnorth.... the form has to be signed by the CLEO [chief law enforcement officer] where you reside. If you are a resident trooper town, that would be the man to sign it. They are signing not to the fact that they say you are ok to have the silencer, but to the fact that there is nothing in your history to prevent you from having one. By this, they are not throwing their personal beliefs in.

eyesnorth
07-26-2007, 03:10
jene - resident trooper it will be then. thanks for the info.

floodster - thanks for the link.

Floodster
07-26-2007, 11:38
eyesnorth.... the form has to be signed by the CLEO [chief law enforcement officer] where you reside. If you are a resident trooper town, that would be the man to sign it. They are signing not to the fact that they say you are ok to have the silencer, but to the fact that there is nothing in your history to prevent you from having one. By this, they are not throwing their personal beliefs in.

But they can still read you the riot act and throw their beliefs in when going through the process. :upeyes:

Jene
07-26-2007, 15:29
When they ask why you want one, tell them you have a lifelong hobby of shooting, and would like to protect your hearing that much more, since time has taken its toll on hearing due to shooting and as we get older. Guy told my chief that, and he was satisfied with it.

Floodster
07-26-2007, 15:30
When they ask why you want one, tell them you have a lifelong hobby of shooting, and would like to protect your hearing that much more, since time has taken its toll on hearing due to shooting and as we get older. Guy told my chief that, and he was satisfied with it.

Huh?

Jene
07-26-2007, 17:53
If they even ask why you want one.... "I'd like to protect whats left of my hearing. All those years of shooting having taken its toll on me, and I'm getting hard of hearing."

Floodster
07-26-2007, 17:54
If they even ask why you want one.... "I'd like to protect whats left of my hearing. All those years of shooting having taken its toll on me, and I'm getting hard of hearing."

Ah, as in don't listen to/ignore their crapola? :thumbsup:

harlenm
07-26-2007, 18:49

Sorry Jene, but you may be wrong. This is about permits, but I'm assuming it's the same for everything firearms related.

Per the CT Board of Firearms Examiners.

Q8. In a town which does not have an organized police department, who is the local authority - the First Selectman or the Resident State Trooper?

A. The First Selectman.

usmc4641
07-26-2007, 19:12
Sorry Jene, but you may be wrong. This is about permits, but I'm assuming it's the same for everything firearms related.

Per the CT Board of Firearms Examiners.

Q8. In a town which does not have an organized police department, who is the local authority - the First Selectman or the Resident State Trooper?

A. The First Selectman.
that is true except when you are dealing with class 3 stuff. then it is cleo only.

harlenm
07-26-2007, 19:21
Originally posted by usmc4641
that is true except when you are dealing with class 3 stuff. then it is cleo only.

That's why I said maybe.

eyesnorth
07-27-2007, 02:25
But they can still read you the riot act and throw their beliefs in when going through the process. :upeyes:

Most of the troopers on this end of the state are decent guys, I'm not worried about attitude.

happy seal
08-09-2007, 09:19
Hey NN,
What town are you moving to and when. I belong to a shooting club that has two NRA certified pistol instructors. Pay 75 bucks and take the course. Go to local PD and apply for permit. Go to State PD for fingerprints and wait for permit. Done deal if your on the up and up.

Turbodreams
08-20-2007, 10:45
Originally posted by Hef
My comment was based upon the attitudes of the (lower Fairfield/New Haven) personnel who make decisions regarding permits, policy, etc, as they are the people who use their positions to promote anti-gun agendas. My experience has been that CT patrol officers overall are 50/50 when it comes to supporting gun rights, but in lower Fairfield County and New Haven they seem to be more anti-gun than pro-gun.

I'm not attacking you personally, so please don't take it as such. I've met quite a few cops, and have/had a few in my family. My cousin was the chief of police in Stamford (retired now). Im in New Haven county, had ZERO trouble getting my permit. Hell the cop that did my prints even told me if I ever have to use it, shoot to kill. I know a few other PO who know I carry and all of them agree that theyd rather see more responsible citizens with them. Ive got about a dozen friends in the area also that had no problem getting their permits.

nognig
08-21-2007, 15:17
Originally posted by happy seal
Hey NN,
What town are you moving to and when. I belong to a shooting club that has two NRA certified pistol instructors. Pay 75 bucks and take the course. Go to local PD and apply for permit. Go to State PD for fingerprints and wait for permit. Done deal if your on the up and up.

I'm in the New London area. I just took the course last weekend at the Groton Sportmans club. I'm going to send in the app in the next couple weeks.

NN

ctpistol
08-25-2007, 22:19
resident troopers sign off on Class III stuff where I am. Selectman have nothing to do with it.

also, I believe you can even skip that step if you have a valid CT permit and your class III purchase is done through a Trust.

contact you local dealer for details!

ctpistol
08-25-2007, 22:22
Check with D&T Arms. They specialize in all sorts of Class III stuff and supressors.

http://dandtarms.hvfllc.com/

+1 to Housatonic Valley Firearms in New Milford.

Tom is a good guy with very fair prices.