Essure [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Essure

Lesatvv
06-04-2007, 06:59
Have any of you ladies had the Essure procedure? It is basically a non-invasive (no cutting) tubal ligation. I am scheduled to have it on June 22nd.

Thanks!
Rebecca

ATL Peach Girl
06-04-2007, 14:28
heck no!!! Have heard of it, but when I turned 41 I had the old fashioned spay-job!! :supergrin:

Do they go in through the belly-button and tie stuff off???? Guess I should do a search on the web because I don't know anything about it. I have seen some ads by the docs in the Atlanta area that do it.

Good luck with that!!

SouthernGal
06-04-2007, 14:32
Originally posted by ATL Peach Girl
Do they go in through the belly-button and tie stuff off????

Peach,

It's my understanding from when I asked that they do still go in thru the belly button for old fashioned tubal ligation. You just know I'm not about to let them CUT on my stomach though as it would defeat the whole purpose of remaining childless & unscarred. :supergrin:

Essure is different in the way it accomplishes the same goal. This is still a relatively new procedure at this time.

Lesatvv
06-04-2007, 14:35
Nope, there is no cutting at all! Isn't that nice? They put a small nickel/aluminum/steel coil in each of your tubes. Over the next three months, scar tissue builds up around them and blocks your tubes. They just give you a couple of Valium before the procedure, and they are giving me a Depo shot two weeks before to thin my uterus, and then stick the coils in your tubes. I doubt it will be much worse than when I got my IUD. At least I'll be doped up. hehehehe ;)

Rebecca

Mrs. VR
06-05-2007, 05:22
I remember reading about it when it first came out, but for some reason, I remember thinking they were plastic, maybe they were originally...they dilate the cervix, and go in that way, right? Do they have any risk of rejection/infection? If your eggs aren't moving thru the tubes does that mean you stop having periods? Sounds a lot less invasive than any other way to go about it. It's not at all reversible, though, is it?

Mrs. VR
06-05-2007, 05:26
well, nm, i mostly just answered my own questions :animlol:

I am in the unenviable position of having to take Pills til i reach menopause even though my husband had a vasectomy, because of issues with absolutely insane and miserable cycles.( there is a laser procedure, but the possible side effects make me a little nervous ) I was wondering if this was something that might end up being of interest to me, but it doesnt affect your cycles. Man, Im almost HOPING for menopause. :upeyes:

Lesatvv
06-05-2007, 07:15
The coils are not plastic. They are metal. I think the metal has something to do with helping to build up the scar tissue. It is not reversible. I would have to get invitro (with my own eggs, which will still exist) in order to get pregnant. If for some reason my husband and I ever want kids (which I HIGHLY doubt), we'd adopt. My husband is adopted. But, we've been thinking of permanent solutions for years, because we are very confident in our decision to be childfree. I'm done with hormones, patches, injections, etc. I have issues with every birth control option.
If this makes my periods really heavy, I'll just get Novasure. (www.novasure.com) It takes 90 seconds, it's permanent, and it significantly reduces bleeding. It zaps your endometrial lining and doesn't hurt.
Thanks for the comments! Essure also has a website if you're interested in reading about it.

Rebecca

tlish
06-06-2007, 15:40
Originally posted by Lesatvv
But, we've been thinking of permanent solutions for years, because we are very confident in our decision to be childfree. I'm done with hormones, patches, injections, etc.
Rebecca

we're in the same boat, but went with dh having a vasectomy. that was about 8-ish years ago, so your method wasn't an option. good luck!

kcb
06-06-2007, 20:30
Just curious about the fact that the coils cause scar tissue to form.

Do they address what the long term effects could be from that scar tissue?

I've had a lot of problems due to scar tissue and adhesions, so I was just curious if they talk about that for years down the road, or not.

It is a HUGE decision for me to consider anything that causes the potential for scarring and adhesions to form.

I have no need for further birth control, but I am curious about this; I have two young married daughters.

Thanks!

Lesatvv
06-07-2007, 07:53
Hi KCB!

Here is the link to the Essure clinical trials website: http://www.essure.com/Home/Understanding/ClinicalTesting/tabid/58/Default.aspx

It has been tested for 10 years now, and as far as I have read it has been very well tolerated. The scar tissue forms around the tubes and blocks them. Your eggs are still there, but they are absorbed by your body when they try to travel down a tube. If you decide that you want a biological child, you can get in vitro with your own eggs. You don't have to have un-blocked tubes for a pregnancy. I have not read anything about the scar tissue being an issue, but I'm sure anything can happen. I will ask about it when I go for my procedure on the 22nd.

Rebecca

Mrs. VR
06-07-2007, 10:04
Karen, that was a good question, a relative of my MIL's recently had surgery, because he was having TERRIBLE pain from the scar tissue from his appendectomy, which was something like 50 years ago. :rollingeyes:

Lesatvv
06-07-2007, 10:18
Well, I guess if I have pain down the road due to the scar tissue, I'll just get my tubes take out or a hysterectomy. I'm not too worried.

kcb
06-08-2007, 09:57
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
Karen, that was a good question, a relative of my MIL's recently had surgery, because he was having TERRIBLE pain from the scar tissue from his appendectomy, which was something like 50 years ago. :rollingeyes:

:shocked: Well, my surgery and c-sections were NOT fifty years ago....YET. But I had horrible pain from scar tissue resulting in two more surgical procedures.

The first time I had surgery to remove the scar tissue in 2003 I was on the Operating Room Table for five hours, mostly because she cut something else (a female gyn.) that she was NOT suppose to, and they had to repair it....thus causing more issues later. BUT it was all done with the Laprascope. So was my surgery last November.

The explanation for my adhesions I've been given is that some people are prone to scar more than others. I do not scar on my skin very much at all, but internally, apparently I do. My sisters both get the keloid type scars on their skin, yet do not seem to have the other problems internally. Strange!

:upeyes:

kcb
06-08-2007, 12:58
Well, I guess if I have pain down the road due to the scar tissue, I'll just get my tubes take out or a hysterectomy. I'm not too worried.

I do wish you the best, Rebecca!

I was only speaking out of my experience, which, thank the Good Lord, isn't everyone's experience. But it would ABSOLUTELY be a question I would have!

Good luck!!

:hugs:

Lesatvv
06-08-2007, 14:24
Thanks for your thoughtful words Karen. :) I'm praying that I don't have any ill effects from Essure. I guess I'll have to face those when/if they come. I'm taking what I believe to be the best path for me, so we'll see where it leads.

:)

kcb
06-08-2007, 14:38
Thanks for your thoughtful words Karen. :) I'm praying that I don't have any ill effects from Essure. I guess I'll have to face those when/if they come. I'm taking what I believe to be the best path for me, so we'll see where it leads.

:)

I will be praying for you, too!

God Bless you! I pray that you get the results you want!

:angel: :hugs:

Lesatvv
06-14-2007, 11:59
Whoohoo! So my nickel allergy test came back negative. Hence, I won't be allergic to the Essure coils. They also called in two Valium pills for me to take on the day of the procedure. Supposedly I won't feel a thing; they just want to help me de-stress. The only expected side effect is some cramping, which I can handle. A co-worker (SouthernGal) is driving me to and from the appointment, so I'm not driving under the influence of mind numbing drugs. hehehehe I didn't want to involve my mother in this, so I didn't ask my mother to drive me.