Question on statute of limitations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question on statute of limitations

foob
06-04-2007, 14:48
Just curious, are there statute of limitations in Indiana?

Say for a class A misdemeanor? Do they apply to general classes or have to be written in specific law.

KSFreeman
06-04-2007, 14:53
Misdemeanors, 2 years.

Felonies, 5 years.

Murder, no statute of limitations.

There are exceptions to the statute of limitations.

I do not understand "general class" or "written specific in the law". What do you mean by this?

foob
06-04-2007, 14:57
Originally posted by KSFreeman

I do not understand "general class" or "written specific in the law". What do you mean by this?

Oh what I meant was like
"class A misdemeanor" 2 years
"class B misdemeanor" 1 year

or

"assault chapter A.B.C" 3 years
"burglary chapter X.Y.Z" 1 year

But I was wrong on both counts. So it's more general classes like
"felony"
"misdemeanor"
and exceptions.

Thanks for the info hehe.

R. Emmelman
06-04-2007, 15:17
Are we... er... feeling guilty about something? :shocked:

foob
06-04-2007, 15:20
Probably nothing, just making sure I know the law and exactly what I'm getting into.

An FBI agent did visit me today, but that's a long story.

KSFreeman
06-04-2007, 15:39
Witness? Buddhi?

Was it Rocky, or someone from Hammond?

foob
06-04-2007, 16:21
Was Rochy. Pretty cool guy, but an unexpected visit is always suspicious.

You are telling me the three FBI agents in Lafayette are called Witness, Buddhi, and Rochy?

KSFreeman
06-04-2007, 16:53
Rocky is the agent, Lafayette office.

I thought you may have known of Buddhi (the Purdue grad student who allegedly threatened the President on some message board) and the feds came out to speak with you.

So, H1B matters, or are you at liberty to tell us?

foob
06-04-2007, 17:00
Officially he said it was research. I'm a foreign student, he wanted to know about my country. Terrorism related, but general.

We talked quite a long while, he was definitely interested in my firearms. Copied down their serial numbers and manufacturer marks. More interested in them than other topics actually. We did talk about the Indian student who threatened the President. I heard it on the radio today and mentioned it.

Have a queston for you KSFreeman, Indiana state law says if you don't have a handgun permit, the only time you can carry it is
(11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

Doesn't that mean I can't ever sell the handgun? If I carry it to the UPS office to ship it to buyer I'm committing a crime. Who wrote it...

rhino465
06-04-2007, 20:11
Forgive the intrustion, but by what authority did the agent get you to allow him to copy your serial numbers? Or did you offer the information when he asked?

Oh, and for what it's worth, if any kind of law enforcement agent or officer wanted to interview me for "research" or any other purpose, my only response would be, "Lawyer, please." You can't hurt anything by having an attorney to protect you, even if you cooperating fully on whatever fishing expedition they're on, and it might help prevent very bad things happening to people who are innocent of any crime, but get in trouble anyway.

Lawyer.

Lawyer.

Lawyer.

foob
06-04-2007, 20:20
I was a little too trusting.

It was funny I actually discussed with him how I should have followed standard advice and not let him into the apartment without a warrant. Ok maybe it won't be that funny if I get into some trouble.

Well the firearms were legally obtained, so I really didn't want to aggravate the situation. He said the numbers would only be used to check the database and make sure they weren't stolen.

Oh well we'll see how it plays out.

rhino465
06-04-2007, 21:57
I can sympathize with you, and it's really tough to follow the "advice" under those circumstances.

I was pulled over by the police a couple of years ago on my way home from the Kentucky State 3-Gun match and I did pretty much everything wrong when I interacted with them. I knew ahead of time how to handle the situation, but under the pressure of the reality, I folded and failed to act in my own best interests. Fortunately there were no negative consequences THAT time, but I shall endeavor in the future to conduct myself in a manner that will tend to protect me.

In your case, I can only imagine that it was much worse. I think I would have been significantly afraid in the situation described. The level of intimidation created by an FBI agent is probably a lot greater than a small town police officer enforcing traffic regulation. So please don't think I was harshly criticizing ... I was just trying to remind us all for future situations.

I hope you don't have any trouble in the future!

rhino465
06-04-2007, 22:05
Originally posted by foob

It was funny I actually discussed with him how I should have followed standard advice and not let him into the apartment without a warrant. Ok maybe it won't be that funny if I get into some trouble.

This is an interesting point. I was talking to a couple of Secret Service agents once about similar things. The guys in the Indianapolis office spend a significant amount of their time investigating identity theft cases, so they knock on a lot of doors. I mentioned to them that there was no way I would let "them" into my house without a warrant. They told me that's exactly the way I should respond, and that almost all of the people they encounter who refuse warrantless searches are those who have committed no crimes.

They told the people who are the most likely to consent easily and quickly are people who are guilty, because they think (erroneously) that they'll SEEM guilty if they refuse. I'm not sure how that logic works, that if you have something to hide that you let them look for it because you don't them to suspect you have something to hide. :upeyes:

That's not to say that everyone who consents is guilty! I suspect that those who are not guilty do so out of intimidation or because they believe that "I have nothing to hide, so it can't hurt" nonsense. Most of the guilty people consent out of fear.

foob
06-04-2007, 22:30
So please don't think I was harshly criticizing

No I didn't feel that way don't worry.

We had a long talk. Really felt comfortable chatting. So if he was fishing, he's a damn good fisherman. At the end, I thought he was a good agent, just doing his job. He walks in and sees a few firearms lying on the floor (I just cleaned them to sell on gunbroker), guess it would be suspicious to him.

We did mention the VT shooting. There are similarities between the killer and me. So yeah that was a running joke throughout the conversation. Hopefully he doesn't put me on the no-fly list or start a dossier on me. Would screw up any chance of obtaining residency here.

I do know the FBI (during the NICS phone call) was pretty interested when I purchased my last firearm. My FFL dealer told me they wanted him to fax in all the paperwork for all the past firearms. I thought they destroyed any info about the call on their side after a certain time limit. Guess not.

And next time I should probably step outside and close the door behind me. And chat with him outside or arrange to go to a coffee house.

rhino465
06-05-2007, 17:43
Originally posted by foob

And next time I should probably step outside and close the door behind me. And chat with him outside or arrange to go to a coffee house.

That's what I would do!

As far as dossiers go ... we probably ALL have one at some 3-letter agency (or more).

Gump
06-06-2007, 05:05
Originally posted by rhino465
I was pulled over by the police a couple of years ago on my way home from the Kentucky State 3-Gun match and I did pretty much everything wrong when I interacted with them.

So tell us your story, Rhino. Was this when G.W. rode down there with you?

rhino465
06-06-2007, 11:10
Nah, it was 2005 on my way home through Spencer. I got pulled over allegedly because I was "weaving and using the whole lane" during a weekend when they were concentrating on catching drunk drivers. I should have told him I was just a crappy driver! hah!

I'll tell you the whole story the next time I see you.