Phoenix Firefighter Dies On The Job [Archive] - Glock Talk


View Full Version : Phoenix Firefighter Dies On The Job

06-05-2007, 01:22
A 16-year veteran of the Phoenix Fire Department collapsed and died while on duty Monday afternoon, fire officials say.
Division Chief Mike Sandulak said fire engineer Mark Carter came on duty at 8 a.m. and he and his crew worked several medical emergency calls and had stopped to get lunch when he was stricken, Sandulak said.

Fire officials said they believe Carter suffered some sort of medical condition.

Efforts by fellow firefighters to revive him were unsuccessful, the department said.

Officials said they are awaiting a report from the medical examiner's office to determine the exact cause of death.

In the meantime, officials said they are in the process of conducting an internal review.

06-09-2007, 20:56

Phoenix firefighter remembered

Beth Duckett and Lynh Bui
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 9, 2007 07:53 AM

Hundreds of firefighters from across the Valley gathered Saturday to remember 16-year Phoenix Fire Department veteran Mark Carter.

Carter, 53, died Monday afternoon after he collapsed during lunch with three other firefighters.

He was remembered Saturday for his sense of humor and dedication to community service.

“Mark was a good man with a quick smile,” said Phoenix Fire Chief Bob Khan.

At the funeral, friends and family spoke about his love for basketball and Thirst Busters, the giant drink.

They said Carter — the oldest person in his class at the training academy — never let age stand in his way.

“It will not be the same without him, but we will never forget him,” said Carter's best friend4 and supervisor Captain Brian Nalley.

Nalley said Carter's wife Leah, who lives in Northern Arizona, was the “love of his life.”

A memorial procession was to place until 1 p.m. The route begins at the church and heads west on Bethany Home Road to Seventh Avenue. It was to travel south on Seventh Avenue to Van Buren Street heading west, finishing at Greenwood Cemetery, 2300 W. Van Buren St.

Carter was on duty as a paramedic engineer for Fire Station No. 37 on 40th Street and Bell Road when he passed away. Though his co-workers tried to revive him, it was to no avail. Officials are still figuring the cause of death, which was most likely related to cardiac problems, said Phoenix Fire Department Division Chief Mike Sandulak.

Sandulak said it's been a tough time for Phoenix firefighters. About 20 sought grief counseling Monday at Mayo Clinic Hospital as they waited to usher Carter's body to the Maricopa County Medical Examiner's office.

“He was one of those guys who just comes to work every day … just did a solid job every day, every shift,” Sandulack said.

Carter is survived by his wife and a daughter and stepdaughter, officials said.

06-11-2007, 13:33
Sad news.


Prayers to his family.

06-12-2007, 02:54
I heard about it in my EMT class.

May he rest in peace. :sad: