Can you help me troubleshoot a random reboot problem? I have error code. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me troubleshoot a random reboot problem? I have error code.

SanduneCC
06-05-2007, 10:51
Specs for my new build:

C2D E6600
Asus P5B Deluxe
G.Skill 2G DDR2 6400
XFX 7600GS 512 silent
Tuniq Tower 120 HSF
Raptor 74G System, Raptor 36G, WD 500G, WD 500G
Antec P180 case
Antec HE550 PSU
Samsung DVD

This is my digital imaging machine. All parts are new and assembled with care. BIOS is default. No OC yet. CoreTemp says my idle is 28C and running Orthos brings it up to 46C. I ran Orthos in blend mode for 8 hours with no problem.

When I invoke Photoshop, I get an instantaneous reboot. Switching on error code, I get the blue screen that says:

STOP:C000021a {Fatal System Error}
The windows subsystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xC0000005
(0x75e91a76 0x0052f5dc)

Do you suspect hardware or software problem? Where do I begin to troubleshoot?

tous
06-05-2007, 11:10
Originally posted by SanduneCC
Specs for my new build:

C2D E6600
Asus P5B Deluxe
G.Skill 2G DDR2 6400
Tuniq Tower 120 HSF
Raptor 74G System, Raptor 36G, WD 500G, WD 500G
Antec P180 case
Antec HE550 PSU
Samsung DVD

This is my digital imaging machine. All parts are new and assembled with care. BIOS is default. No OC yet. CoreTemp says my idle is 28C and running Orthos brings it up to 46C. I ran Orthos in blend mode for 8 hours with no problem.

When I invoke Photoshop, I get an instantaneous reboot. Switching on error code, I get the blue screen that says:

STOP:C000021a {Fatal System Error}
The windows subsystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xC0000005
(0x75e91a76 0x0052f5dc)

I've only seen 0xC000021a when the WinLogon service or client/server service has failed. :headscratch:

Did you make any changes to the system (especially the registry) that may have altered the administrator account?

I'd also look hard at the presence of malware. They love to attack NETLOGON.EXE.

My approach would be: restart the machine, inspect event log and note any warnings or errors. Let machine idle with normal services running on your normal account. If it doesn't abend (video drivers are notorious for halting XP going into/coming out of screensaver or hibernate.) Then run some applications. You say that Orthos (the add-stress app, I presume?) runs fine,then Photoshop won't? How about Photoshop before Orthos?

After each event, check the event log.

If random application order results in the same halt with the same reason, then I'd check check the memory. Microsoft's Memory Diagnostic is quiet good. Run it on extended test. If you can get 10 successful passes, I'd deem the memory good.

NB: Orthos is popular amongst those who overclock CPUs and GPUs. If you're doing that ... stop it. :supergrin:

:wavey:

HerrGlock
06-05-2007, 11:24
Originally posted by SanduneCC

Try the same thing using the Gimp. See if you get the spontaneous reboot.

malkore
06-05-2007, 15:54
I have a P5B board, non-deluxe. First thing you should do is update the BIOS. the default BIOS on those is like from last August, and SIGNIFICANT updates are available.

Asus, in my experience, is very good about releasing good BIOS updates, because the original BIOS was probably a little fudgy...not to mention having to fix stability with RAM and hardware.

i'd just use their Windows ASUSUPdate utility, flash bios, reboot to write it to CMOS, then try again.

BSOD's in XP really only stem from hardware issues or a pooched OS.

Patrick Graham
06-05-2007, 17:16
It would be interesting to see what happened if you could do a system restore to the point before you put photoshop in.. or before you put any apps in..

What do the system and application event logs say?

Do you have any unresolved devices in device manager?

+1 on looking the video and hibernate.. disable hibernation..

The easy way would be to rebuild from scratch and save a raw OS image.. you can return to that in times of desperation.. like this..