No after-market tail lights allowed in Utah [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : No after-market tail lights allowed in Utah

UtahIrishman
06-05-2007, 19:41
Ok...this is more of a "boy am I steamed" than anything else, but maybe some good will come of it.

I took my Ford Ranger in for Emission and Inspection today and it didn't pass safety. It failed on two counts.

1. I have a camper shell and no "third eye" brake light on the shell. Ok a bit of a pain, but I can live with that.

2. Then I'm told "no aftermarket tail lights" and that has got me steamed.
:burn:

I've had these lights on the vehicle since I bought it over twelve years ago and now there telling me I have to take them off and put on standard lights. According to the guy at the I/M station it's a new interpretation of a Federal Law...

:burn: :burn:

Anyone else here in Utah run into this?

Steve Koski
06-05-2007, 19:47
What's an aftermarket tail light? Fancy lens covers?

UtahIrishman
06-05-2007, 19:54
Originally posted by Steve Koski
What's an aftermarket tail light? Fancy lens covers?

Anything that covers the original or replaces the original tail light and lens cover.

Mine is a complete unit, not just a lens cover. Which means I have to yank the whole thing out and find a complete set of stock tail lights for a '94 Ford Ranger.

Which probably won't be that hard to find, but they are so god-awful plain

I like the tail lights I have and they are fully functional, in fact are brighter than OEM. That's what annoys me more than anything.

Steve Koski
06-05-2007, 21:51
That sucks.

RMTactical
06-06-2007, 01:16
A friend of mine got a ticket about 5-10 years ago for having aftermarket tail lights on his truck when we were visiting here in Utah (we both lived in Vegas at the time).

At any rate, I just gotta say that the stupid "safety inspections" they do here in Utah are some of the lamest things ever IMO... I had to remove the tinting (and put on the legal limit) on my vehicles when I moved up here from Vegas in order to get registered... :upeyes:

Sambolijah
06-06-2007, 10:03
Yikes.
If you took it to another shop, perhaps they might overlook it?

That sounds absurd. I see vehicles driving around with them all the time?

UtahIrishman
06-06-2007, 17:19
I think I will take it to another shop...you never know.

RMTactical my wife had to take the window tint off her driver and passenger side windows about four years ago. Then the following year they changed the law again and so she didn't have to take the tint off the back windows. Even though the tint had darkened more than the side windows the previous year. Go figure.

It's just annoying which makes me grumpy. And I've been in a grumpy mood lately. Grumpy enough I just might call the attorney generals office and petition for a review of the ruling.

RMTactical
06-06-2007, 17:32
Originally posted by Sambolijah
Yikes.
If you took it to another shop, perhaps they might overlook it?

I did... but after a while I started thinking, how many shops am I gonna have to go to in order to find someone who doesn't care, you know?

Anyways, we should all be allowed to own full autos and have dark tinted windows... when I become president... :supergrin:

Texas357
06-06-2007, 17:53
I once had a taillight fail in TX due to being cracked. The mechanic on duty informed me that no tape, no glue, I was required by law to replace the red plastic cover. I still had the pieces that had broken off (2 1"*.5" shards), so I superglued it, took it right back to the same place, and nobody said anything.

Now when are they going to crack down on non-spec headlights? You know, the ones that clearly say "off-road use only", are blindingly bright, and are pointed up?
I think there should also be a rule that even if your headlights are correctly aimed, they can't be mounted so high up that they point straight into the mirrors of normal cars. Lift the truck, lower the lights. Those things aren't commuter/city vehicles.

reerc
06-07-2007, 22:13
Give me a break!

Tail light covers are a danger, but lifting a monster truck so high that when we get in an altercation, he goes righ over the top of me, and de-friggin-cappitates me must be safe, because I see those ALL over the place!

Yeah, right.

:upeyes:

Gibbles
07-15-2007, 16:20
I would take it to another shop, I have seen some shops make their own rules or be over strict; I had a guy try and give me crap over the factory tinting. :upeyes:

I wish we did not have to have front license plates, I would really like to install a “hidden” winch where my front plate is. I’ll probably just relocate the front plate one day.
What do you mean by “offroad” lights?
If you mean the KC type lights that people add on to grill guards and bumpers, you are not allowed to use those on road and if they are over something like 55w and they can’t be higher than the factory headlights, if they are they have to be covered.
I have seen people with the blackouts on their tail lights and they made their lights so dark you could hardly see them at night, those can’t pass inspection usually. I personally like the factory tail lights and I have never seen one that I liked enough to think about buying.