Blue screen of death! Arrrgh! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blue screen of death! Arrrgh!

pesticidal
06-06-2007, 07:11
My year-old Dell locked up on me, and when I try to re-boot, it gets past the first options screen (press F12 to boot from network etc), then it asks me what mode I want to boot in, then any one I click on it loads XP Home for a couple seconds then an error screen comes up.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error scree, restart your computer. If this screens appears again, follow theses steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP! 0x00000024 (0x00190203,0x8253a828,0xc0000102,0x00000000)

Dell has a utility under the F12 option to check the hard drives. It's taking hours to run, but everything so far is coming up ok. (this is on my home computer, I'm at work right now.)

I've tried booting up with safe mode, in last known working configuration, and normal, all with the same results. I've also Googled, but didn't find any specific answers.

Can someone steer me the right direction?

Blitzer
06-06-2007, 07:19
Originally posted by pesticidal
My year-old Dell locked up on me, and when I try to re-boot, it gets past the first options screen (press F12 to boot from network etc), then it asks me what mode I want to boot in, then any one I click on it loads XP Home for a couple seconds then an error screen comes up.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error scree, restart your computer. If this screens appears again, follow theses steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP! 0x00000024 (0x00190203,0x8253a828,0xc0000102,0x00000000)

Dell has a utility under the F12 option to check the hard drives. It's taking hours to run, but everything so far is coming up ok. (this is on my home computer, I'm at work right now.)

I've tried booting up with safe mode, in last known working configuration, and normal, all with the same results. I've also Googled, but didn't find any specific answers.

Can someone steer me the right direction? This looks like a bad patch or upgrade !

Micro Soft did this a few years ago with Windows 2000. It isn't rare so belly up and wait for a day or two and check these web sites for news and feedback. Doing a restore didn't fix Windows 2k and a complete reload without upgrading to a point would fix the computer's issue, if auto update was turned on the whole load would get corrupted and crash the computer.

http://www.vistax64.com/winfs/42576-stop-0x00000024-0x00190203-0x8253a828-0xc0000102-0x00000000.html

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.developer.winfx.winfs/browse_thread/thread/295af39ea07d0472/07fa96778dcc93b0

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.developer.winfx.winfs&tid=ec84f213-f5bf-48ce-b4b7-09cc4820c352&p=1

http://www.nnseek.com/e/microsoft.public.windows.developer.winfx.winfs/

pesticidal
06-06-2007, 07:57
yeah, I did see those. Looks like a few months old, but no resolution, though. I thought maybe it had something to do with the power being shut off instead of using the windows shut down procedure

tous
06-06-2007, 08:21
0x00000024 is usually a file system error. DELL's diagnostic does a physical check of the HDD. Start in Safe Mode, go to the shell and run chkdsk /f to check the logical file system.

Good luck, mi amigo. :hugs:

pesticidal
06-06-2007, 08:25
Originally posted by tous
0x00000024 is usually a file system error. DELL's diagnostic does a physical check of the HDD. Start in Safe Mode, go to the shell and run chkdsk /f to check the logical file system.

Good luck, mi amigo. :hugs:

Can't start in safe mode, either.

:sad:

srhoades
06-06-2007, 09:10
Boot from your XP disk and go into recovery console to do your chkdsk

tous
06-06-2007, 09:26
Originally posted by srhoades

What he said. :thumbsup: :supergrin:

pesticidal
06-06-2007, 09:45
Originally posted by srhoades

Thanks. I'll give that a try tonight!

malkore
06-06-2007, 15:36
and be prepared for the worst. the OS might be toasted beyond a simple fix.

backup, nuke from orbit, and start over. its often much easier than 'fixing' Windows.

NetNinja
06-07-2007, 09:16
If you at the point of doing check disks and scanning the HD for bad sectors you are wasting your time.

Repeat after me.

It is easier to give birth than to resurect.

translation

It is easier to rebuild the computer than to waste your time getting a sick machine working.

unless there is a soultion on the internet available to you.

Slave the bad drive copy all your favorties and your desktop and whatever other files you need.

OR

buy a new HD and reinstall.

once the OS is running and it's all patched up and the latest Anti Virus is running then slave the drive and start copying all your files over.

If you have used up more than 4 hours of your time trying to repair your computer, you are wasting your time.

srhoades
06-07-2007, 18:57
Originally posted by NetNinja
If you at the point of doing check disks and scanning the HD for bad sectors you are wasting your time.

Repeat after me.

It is easier to give birth than to resurect.

translation

It is easier to rebuild the computer than to waste your time getting a sick machine working.

unless there is a soultion on the internet available to you.

Slave the bad drive copy all your favorties and your desktop and whatever other files you need.

OR

buy a new HD and reinstall.

once the OS is running and it's all patched up and the latest Anti Virus is running then slave the drive and start copying all your files over.

If you have used up more than 4 hours of your time trying to repair your computer, you are wasting your time.

I couldn't disagree more. A 10 minute chkdsk/p will often fix an unbootable windows system. It takes a lot longer to reinstall windows/updates/software/restore settings etc. I would much rather spend the 4 hours fixing a windows install (which rarely takes that long)than spending 4 hours starting over and still never having like it was before.

And there is almost always a solution available on the internet. Format and reinstall is a last resort and admittance of defeat. That's a geek squad solution to everything, which is why everyone hates them, they don't actually fix anything.

pesticidal
06-07-2007, 20:21
I ran the Windows CD and ran CHKDSK. It said my volume had unrecoverable errors. I tried to run the recovery program, but it failed, too. I'm thinking a new hard drive, and hopefully I can recover some of the recent documents I hadn't backed up lately. Mostly digital pics...

NetNinja
06-07-2007, 20:50
That's ok everyone has an opinion.

pesticidal how many hours have you wasted on trying to get your machine up and running?

srhoades seems to have some time to lend you.

pesticidal
06-08-2007, 05:12
Originally posted by NetNinja
That's ok everyone has an opinion.

pesticidal how many hours have you wasted on trying to get your machine up and running?

srhoades seems to have some time to lend you.

I pretty much agree with him, actually. If I spent a few hours and was able to get everything back, I'd have way less hours than I'll be putting in re-installing and updating Windows and all the software. How much time are you willing to spend helping me with that?

As far as time, I appreciate the time people have taken to try to help me with this issue. Thanks.

buffettck
06-08-2007, 13:24
Next time, install a second HD and clone a complete bootable properly running OS/applications on to the "backup" drive. Acronis True Image 10.0 makes this a very simple process. That way if the C: drive takes a dump, I can format it and restore the D: back on to it in one simple operation. Or buy a new HD if it's a physical problem.

pesticidal
06-09-2007, 12:54
Ta DA!

I took another computer and put my C drive in it and booted it up. It automatically ran CHKDSK and repaired the volume. I put the drive back in my computer and it booted right up!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I'll be doing a complete backup in case it FUBARs on me.

mitchshrader
06-09-2007, 13:05
put the 2nd hard drive in (a new one!) and clone your os.

or do a full install of a new copy, update & secure, add your software firewall and do all the registry hacks, have a CLEAN copy that you built from scratch with ZERO crap you don't want..

take your time and get advice on performance configuration and security configuration.. actually BUILD an OS out of billy's lego-my-money both-hands-on-your-shoulders attempt to fork you till yer done..

no i'm not bitter and yes all my comps work bluidy FINE and i built em software and hardware and security protocols.. and they ALL have dual installs.. and good AV and etc.

i have teens and no issues. i rest my case.

PUT THAT BACK UP HARD DRIVE IN NOW OR YOU'LL SOON KNOW WHY NOT.

BLOW YOUR FANS OUT AND LISTEN FOR BAD BEARING SQUEALS

IT AIN"T WRONG TO ADD HARD DRIVE FANS OR OTHER FANS<-> UPGRADE POWER SUPPLY IF REQUIRED AND IT IS USUALLY ON COMMERCIAL COMPS. have 400w minimum, and 500 ain't wrong if you intend the comp run several more years.

srhoades
06-09-2007, 17:13
Check the event viewer, make sure there are no disk errors. If there are, your drive is just a boot away from not being able to boot again.