External antenna boost signal for USB720? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : External antenna boost signal for USB720?

El Dave
06-06-2007, 11:12
My friend lives in a rural area, and needs to access the internet. She purchased a Novatel USB720 to use with computer. The signal is weak, but the device has ability to connect an external antenna. Would this boost the signal? What antenna would be best, and where can she buy it?

Thanks in advance.

ric0123
06-09-2007, 17:05
Depends on how wild and crazy you want to get. If you just need a little help, you can buy a pigtail that plugs into that port that will give you a TNC plug (they used to sell them at Radioshack but I think they are disco). For the antenna, you have a bunch of options. Again, if you just need a little help, you can use a magnetic vehicle antenna, screw it into that tnc plug and put it up as high as you can (ontop of a bookcase). Look on ebay for one, look for as high of gain as you can find, usually 9-11db. If you are going to order the antenna, you might as well order the pigtail from them also. Antenna should be around $30, pigtail about $10. Downside is you are tied to that cord. There are several different wireless repeaters out there. I am using one from wirelessextenders.com or get on ebay and look for a YX-500.