Marine Corps OCS vs. enlisted's bootcamp? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps OCS vs. enlisted's bootcamp?

Landmonster
06-06-2007, 11:45
How does the perceived "toughness" of Marine OCS compare to regular Marine bootcamp?

Everyone says Marine bootcamp is the hardest of the enlisted services bootcamps. How does OCS compare to the Marine bootcamp, as well as other service's officer schools?

Ignition
06-08-2007, 17:11
well its run by those same "enlisted" that went through Bootcamp

so put that in your pipe n smoke it

every other service.... prepared to be babied

E5MC
06-09-2007, 10:58
Being a former Drill Instructor with friends who went on to be enlisted instructors at OCS this is my take on it. Enlisted boot camp is for training blind obedience. Follow orders without hesitation or thought. OCS is geared toward teaching the candidate to think on his feet under immense pressure. As far as the physical training aspect, I'm just glad I don't have to do either again.

RM
06-16-2007, 12:28
OCS is a PT academy, it is like the proverbial kick in the nuts everyday except Sunday. The only easy days PT wise when your there is the initial and final PFTs.

chadb1019
07-12-2007, 20:54
Bootcamp is better, then go OCS and be a mustang. Your Marines will respect you alot more

FLMarine
08-06-2007, 20:25
If you're a good Officer then your Marines will respect you if you went to boot camp or straight into OCS. Bottom line is be proficient at your job, treat your Marines fair, and look out for them and they will do what you ask of them.

The previous posts described OCS very well. The PT is hard, they teach leadership, and it was a kick in the nuts. I went through OCS seven years ago and had many friends who were prior enlisted and they said OCS was much harder physically. As for the other branches of OCS it doesn't even compare. Navy OCS, lol I saw those guys in Pensacola when I was starting flight school. There are Marine DI's there but the stress, PT, and overall leadership was not stressed there as much.

I know I sound like a typical Marine, but there is a reason we are Marines and not some other branch of service. We are all one team one fight, but when you want top notch leaders, fighters, and professionals the Marines are at the top of the list.

USMC06
08-08-2007, 23:06
Both are the most demanding initial training there is. Both create the ultimate warrior. In both, you have to earn the title "Marine". Both produce outstanding results. Bootcamp is tough, but you are lead by the hand throughout the experience ... more than most realize. OCS is at least as physically demanding, but more mentally challenging. You have to demonstrate you have the potential to be a leader early on. You are not lead by the hand as at Bootcamp. You don't get as many chances to screw up. All you have to do is quit once and ... normally, the umpire yells, "You're out!"

I have been through both, have instructed at one, and I am better for the experience.

Colonel of Marines, Retired

HSJREV
09-04-2007, 19:57
I've done both too and OCS was far more strenuous physically with all those humps through the hills of Virginia with packs and gear. We had guys puking or passing out along the trail from heat exhaustion almost every hump. I found it less stressful mentally than boot camp because it made more sense to me why we did the things we did. Also having Sundays off in OCS gave me time to relax and digest the last 6 days.
Enlisted boot camp was just mental pressure pretty much all the time. It wasn't as challenging from the standpoint of having to solve problems and figure things out on my own, but there was a tremendous amount of rote memorization, and just getting yelled at every day for months kind of wears you out mentally too.