Soon to be resident of Indiana [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be resident of Indiana

Londo Mollari
06-06-2007, 22:11
Hi guys. I will soon be an Indiana Glocker, once I move in two months to begin my PhD studies at Purdue.

I have a few questions for anyone who knows the answers.

Are there any weird gun laws I should be aware of that could get me in trouble, or is everything pretty much common sense?

Is university carry by ccw holders legal? Does anyone at Purdue happen to know how the university views it? I have heard it is a no-no from one person so far, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

What must one do to get a CCW permit?

And finally... where are the good ranges/good gun shops in the Lafayette/West Lafayette area?

:)

R. Emmelman
06-07-2007, 05:07
WELCOME to gun friendly Indiana!

Are there any weird gun laws I should be aware of that could get me in trouble, or is everything pretty much common sense?

No. Check out www.packing.org

Is university carry by ccw holders legal?

That is a grey area. You can not carry in Indiana schools however this can be interpreted K-12. I think you will find people on both sides of this.

Does anyone at Purdue happen to know how the university views it? I have heard it is a no-no from one person so far, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

From what I have heard you can not per university student rules.

What must one do to get a CCW permit?

Easy, once you have established residency go to your local police department and apply. If you live in a city you must go to the local PD. If you do not live in a city go to the Sheriff department. Fill out the application, get finger printed, pay your money, get license in mail about 60 days later.

Just to add, you can open carry but that is not a common thing to see. Cities can (and do) restrict on their property (e.g. city parks). License to carry handgun (LTCH) can either be a four year or for additional money lifetime. LTCH comes on a thin pink laser-printed paper, so laminate it. Indiana also recognizes all other state so if you have a license from your home state you can carry until you become a resident.

Once again WELCOME! There are a lot of good people on this forum (and a few crusty ones too).

:welcome:

KSFreeman
06-07-2007, 05:56
Purdue has administrative rules against carrying on campus. Those should be on Purdue's website.

There is no such thing as a "CCW" in Indiana. It is a License to Carry a Handgun (LTCH). The weapon(s) does not have to be concealed.

The procedure for obtaining one was outlined above. One thing I tell my guys who may complain about the Lifetime License fee (never understood they buy guns but they whine about the lifetime license fee, just moronic to me) is to spend $15 and become a dealer and get your license fee waived. Just an idea.

Lots of places to buy guns, I usually frequent Tippecanoe Sport Shop, Lafayette Guns and Gear, Sportman's Warehouse, and Ram-Z (pawn shop but has a lot of used guns). If you cannot find land to shoot on, there you can join Wildcat Valley Rifle and Pistol Club, Linden Conservation Club (which has been improved tremendously), Flat Creek Indoor Range, among others.

My house and office is just across the river from Purdue. Let me know if you want the heads up on housing, restaurants, entertainment, shopping, inter alia.

glock2619
06-07-2007, 05:58
Originally posted by Londo Mollari

And finally... where are the good ranges/good gun shops in the Lafayette/West Lafayette area?

:)

Nothing that big for shops. Lafayette Guns and Gear is pretty small, but he has good prices. Tippecanoe Sport Shop is ok too, a little bigger but could be a little more pricey as well-still relatively good prices though. Sportsman's warehouse has a lot of stuff, but with the exception of 1 or 2 salesman, it's kind of like going into Wal-Mart to buy a gun. Just my opinion.

2 ranges really. Linden Conservation Club-$50/year + 5 hours service/year. Decent facility but pretty basic. Wildcat in Brookston is a nice facility but is more $ and time required. A little drive further north is Jasper-Pulaski State Park. They have a decent DNR gun range that's "free"(paid by taxes/licenses I suppose).

Londo Mollari
06-07-2007, 07:42
Thanks for all the good information, guys.

Easy, once you have established residency go to your local police department and apply. If you live in a city you must go to the local PD. If you do not live in a city go to the Sheriff department. Fill out the application, get finger printed, pay your money, get license in mail about 60 days later.

Do you have to take any sort of class from a licensed instructor before you apply for the LTCH? What is "establishing residency"? Is that just moving in, or do I have to live there for a certain number of months before I am considered a resident?

The procedure for obtaining one was outlined above. One thing I tell my guys who may complain about the Lifetime License fee (never understood they buy guns but they whine about the lifetime license fee, just moronic to me) is to spend $15 and become a dealer and get your license fee waived. Just an idea.

I was under the impression that one had to have a place of business independent from his residence to get an FFL. Is this not the case?

My house and office is just across the river from Purdue. Let me know if you want the heads up on housing, restaurants, entertainment, shopping, inter alia.

I'll be living in Georgetown South apartments. It's about five miles from Purdue. Seems like a decent, quiet neighborhood.

Thanks again, guys. :)

KSFreeman
06-07-2007, 09:06
Indiana does not require any sort of class before you obtain your LTCH. Just go to 20 North 6th Street (Lafayette City Hall) and get your application and fill it out. Establish residency by getting your gas, light and phone turned on.:supergrin: Are you going to domicile here as well?

No, not an FFL, a Federal Firearms License, but the state license for dealing in handguns. Buy a state license and then get the waiver for the lifetime license.

Georgetown South? So, 18th and Teal. You are near Lafayette Guns and Gear and a Rural King which sells ammo by the case--at least to me.:supergrin:

That would be a little far out for me, I always hated driving in undergrad and grad school and dealing with the parking Gestapo. I was going to recommend one of the lofts or apartments downtown. You are "away" from campus but are in easy bike or sneaker range as you can just walk over to West Lafayette on the pedestrian bridge.

When I worked for the Prosecuting Attorney, I lived downtown and walked to work. Save wear and tear on the car and gas (big deal when you are 25, working for the government and have student loans out the wazoo). People looked at me like a space alien but I liked it and it was good to walk (no one walks anymore, and we wonder why people are so fat).

When you get here, let me know if you want to go to Wildcat Valley.:supergrin:

Prometheus77
06-07-2007, 13:33
Originally posted by KSFreeman
One thing I tell my guys who may complain about the Lifetime License fee (never understood they buy guns but they whine about the lifetime license fee, just moronic to me) is to spend $15 and become a dealer and get your license fee waived. Just an idea.

Perhaps because they feel it is moronic to get a permit/license to do something thats guaranteed as a Right under the Constitution? It's like getting a license to excerise any of your other Rights. It's wrong, immoral and unConsitutional.

"A Right restricted is a Right denied".

KSFreeman
06-07-2007, 13:58
No, Constitution concerns aside, guys spends thousands of dollars on guns, holsters, ammo, etc. and then whines about $125 for the lifetime license.

Pitmaster
06-07-2007, 14:37
I won't bat an eye at the lifetime license fee. The joy of only having to worry about me expiring and not the license is worth it to me.

Londo Mollari
06-07-2007, 18:03
Georgetown South? So, 18th and Teal. You are near Lafayette Guns and Gear and a Rural King which sells ammo by the case--at least to me.

Can't complain about that.

That would be a little far out for me, I always hated driving in undergrad and grad school and dealing with the parking Gestapo. I was going to recommend one of the lofts or apartments downtown. You are "away" from campus but are in easy bike or sneaker range as you can just walk over to West Lafayette on the pedestrian bridge.

I may try biking while it is warm there and riding the bus when it is cold, if driving proves to be too problematic. The apartments at Georgetown South are spacious, clean, and cheap.

Are you saying I would be in easy bike or sneaker range in a downtown apartment, or that I am now?

When you get here, let me know if you want to go to Wildcat Valley.

That sounds like fun. :)

Dyerbill
06-07-2007, 18:37
Welcome to Indiana the best state in the Union.
Great advice on all these post but if you can afford the gas it is well worth the trip to Jasper/Pulaski or Winimac or Willow Slough.
Paper targets only but a great way to learn your guns.

boilergonzo
06-07-2007, 20:09
Welcome, Londo. The weather in W.L. is not as stable as Babylon 5. Not sure where else you may have lived, but welcome to Purdue and Indiana.

Hail, Purdue!

KSFreeman
06-08-2007, 09:38
Sorry, that is not happily drafted. I meant if you lived downtown it is a short commute via sneaker or pedal.

Boiler it right about the weather, it's about to rain cats and dogs now. Batten down the guns, there's a storm a-comin'.