Linux wireless [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Linux wireless

HAVOC
06-06-2007, 23:26
I've got a couple of laptops laying around not doing anything, so I've considered dabbling in Linux again.

Last time was a couple years ago, and WiFi support was pretty much non-existant. Do any of the distros have flawless implementations with either Intel or Dell (Broadcom?) g cards and WPA?

I'm quite computer literate, but I'm way out of practice with doing everything via command line, and the goofy *nix commands just never sunk in at all.

Is there hope?

tous
06-07-2007, 07:05
Most distros have pretty good support for Intel PRO, Broadcom and Atheros (via madwifi) chips.

WPA is supported with wpa_supplicant. Available wherever fine repos are sold. :wavey:

Before you select a distro, look into the release notes and see what wifi chips they support. Ubuntu seems to have the broadest support, Fedora 6 sucked canal water.

You can always use NDISWrapper, but that is usually my 'nothin' else works' choice.

Good luck with that, mi amigo.

Wingnut357
06-07-2007, 08:49
Feisty Ubuntu worked right off the bat. Just needed to add the WPA key.

HAVOC
06-07-2007, 12:33
Originally posted by tous
Most distros have pretty good support for Intel PRO, Broadcom and Atheros (via madwifi) chips.

WPA is supported with wpa_supplicant. Available wherever fine repos are sold. :wavey:

Before you select a distro, look into the release notes and see what wifi chips they support. Ubuntu seems to have the broadest support, Fedora 6 sucked canal water.

You can always use NDISWrapper, but that is usually my 'nothin' else works' choice.

Good luck with that, mi amigo.

Well NDISWrapper is where I left off last time, so that's just out. I can do w/o Linux just fine, so I'm not in the mood to jump through a bunch of hoops for a chance to get things kinda working.

HAVOC
06-07-2007, 12:35
Originally posted by Wingnut357
Feisty Ubuntu worked right off the bat. Just needed to add the WPA key.

With what wireless card?

Washington,D.C.
06-07-2007, 15:46
Linux kernel 2.6.17 and newer has support for Broadcon 43xx WiFi. Mepis uses Kernel 2.6.15 but has a lot of WiFi support modules added to it. The 2.6.17 and newer kernel also has WiFi protocol management features for certain WiFi chips that lack them in hardware.

Washington,D.C.
06-07-2007, 18:29
You should try Linux Mint.

CD download

http://download.softpedia.ro/dl/ea863139ac1ec9fbbdd890a7d4a3b28a/4668a2cc/600017252/linux/LinuxMint-3.0.iso

IndyGunFreak
06-08-2007, 11:10
Originally posted by HAVOC
With what wireless card?

I don't know how well it works(cuz I don't use Wireless), but Ubuntu Feisty apparently has some sort of wireless configuration thing that has been getting pretty good reviews in some Linux chatrooms I frequent.

Even if you end up using NDISWrapper, its really not that hard....

Here's an FAQ I found for someone with Linksys wireless card. It uses NDISWrapper

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/HowToUbuntuWireless

If you Google the exact model name/number of your wireless card, and "Ubuntu Feisty support" or something like that, you'll likely get several hits. This link will likely be helpful as well...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs

Also, although I absolutely hate it, PCLinuxOS apparently has some pretty solid support of wireless devices.

IGF

FastZ
06-13-2007, 21:35
I've got a couple of laptops laying around not doing anything, so I've considered dabbling in Linux again.

Last time was a couple years ago, and WiFi support was pretty much non-existant. Do any of the distros have flawless implementations with either Intel or Dell (Broadcom?) g cards and WPA?

I'm quite computer literate, but I'm way out of practice with doing everything via command line, and the goofy *nix commands just never sunk in at all.

Is there hope?

If your Dell laptop has the on-board wireless (Broadcom) then Ubuntu Feisty will pick it up, install the necessary drivers and everything for you during install, then connect automatically once you first log in. At least, thats how with with for me and my Dell Inspiron 9300 with the Broadcom Pro/2200 onboard wireless NIC.

Wingnut357
06-14-2007, 22:42
With what wireless card?

Belkin with Atheros. I think. I'd have to go look.

Give it a shot. As long as it isn't Airport-related, it should be workable.