Mutually exclusive computers on Linksys router? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mutually exclusive computers on Linksys router?

PhillyGlock23
06-07-2007, 06:39
Hi there!

I have a desktop computer and a laptop computer, with Comcast internet service.

My desktop computer was the computer originally connected to the internet, and later on I bought a Linksys router (NOT wireless) and connected my laptop to it.

I currently have Norton Anti-Virus/Webroot Spysweeper on both computers.

So here is my question:

If I used my laptop computer to download files (i.e. music, kazaa clips, etc.) and the laptop computer became infected with a virus/spyware/etc., is it possible that the virus/spyware/etc. would carry over and transfer to my desktop?

The laptop computer is more or less "expendable" and I do not mind if it gets a little messed up...but I cannot have any malicious code on my desktop. This is the reason I have stayed away from any downloads up to this point.

Your advice and guidance is greatly appreciated!

--Dan

NetNinja
06-07-2007, 09:09
The only way that would happen if you had shared a drive on the other computer and then mapped to it.

I took a server down once with the Nimda virus about 5 years ago.
bad stuff.

PhillyGlock23
06-07-2007, 09:18
Thanks for the response!

What do you mean by "mapped to it."? If the two computers are connected via the router...but I never do any sharing of anything between the two computers (i.e. no sending of email back and forth, no flash driving from the laptop to the desktop, etc.), should I be okay?

Sorry for the computer ignorance. Ha.

Thanks again!

--Dan

NetNinja
06-07-2007, 09:35
Yes you will be OK for the most part.

Right click on your C: drive and go into properties. you will see a sharing tab.

There should be an option to either Share this folder or Do Not share this folder.

This should be turned off by default.

if you decide to turn it on you can then transfer files from one computer to another by what they call Mapping a drive.

Or in your case your desktop machine to your laptop

On your laptop or desktop

Right click on My Computer or My Network Places.
There should be an option to Map Network drive.

It will show you a little example

So in your case \\computername\C$

Hint: it is better to map to a computer by the IP address.

\\192.168.1.1\c$

click finish and the computer your are connecting to will ask for a password. It should be the administrators or users password.

Remember Google is your friend.

PhillyGlock23
06-07-2007, 09:55
YOU ARE THE MAN!

Thanks so much!

--Dan